Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Re. Stealing stuff from luggage, London is the only place where I have has items stolen from my checked luggage.
And even though people have images of an impending blazing inferno due to a fuel leak, jet fuel is really difficult to ignite in solid liquid form. It is more volatile when it is in the form of very small droplets or is vaporized. When its pouring out like from a broken water pipe then it is also almost just as dangerous.

Speculation: for some reason crew did not see the sign where B turns left and B turns into M. They kept going thinking they are still on B. Crash. Quick assessment, checklist for ground collision, normal SOP drills, based on the assessment no evacuation required. A few expletives, and a few beers in the hotel bar. There will be an investigation, there will be primary and secondary causes with correlating factors, and nobody will lose their jobs.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I would have exploded (no pun intended) at the prohibition on the use of electronic items. First, I would have wanted to text my husband to say I was OK. Secondly, I see no reason whatsoever why people should be required to assist in supporting BA's attempt to manage the media such circumstances.

I am sure plenty of surreptitious photos will emerge once the takers are safely out of South Africa.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:23 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
BA still have the 5th Pod on some of their aircraft.They would have a choice of sending a freighter or flying them back 1 at a time on the 5th Pod.I suspect the economics would work in favour of the freighter for 4 engines.
Didn't realise that, never even knew the spare engine transport was an option on 744s.

An RB211 is not particularly big nowadays as cargo so they would surely come back by freighter.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
Wow, gushing aviation fuel and collision with a building with multiple electrical points (lights, air con) and compressors (air con) amongst god knows what else that could start an explosive fire and an evacuation didn't happen? This sounds more than shocking.
When I did my PPL, we had volunteer fire crew at our aerodrome. I signed up. The training course was eye opening - you can drop a lit match onto Jet A1 and it will simply go out.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by dera
Re. Stealing stuff from luggage, London is the only place where I have has items stolen from my checked luggage.
I think it's fair, however, to acknowledge that South Africa is notorious for thefts from checked luggage. SAA even has a column in the inflight magazine where they, with refreshing and rather touching honesty, describe their continuing efforts against "baggage pilfering".
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by hsmall
I would have exploded (no pun intended) at the prohibition on the use of electronic items. First, I would have wanted to text my husband to say I was OK. Secondly, I see no reason whatsoever why people should be required to assist in supporting BA's attempt to manage the media such circumstances.

I am sure plenty of surreptitious photos will emerge once the takers are safely out of South Africa.
Fortunately, we know from another thread that passengers who report having been threatened for taking photos onboard are almost certainly lying because it just doesn't happen .
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:32 am

I must say, as a South African reading through this thread, I find the extremely ignorant comments regarding JHB and SA in general a bit ridiculous.

But nevermind that - I really feel for all the people who now need to sort out all the logistical nightmares this incident will undoubtedly have caused them.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
BA still have the 5th Pod on some of their aircraft.They would have a choice of sending a freighter or flying them back 1 at a time on the 5th Pod.I suspect the economics would work in favour of the freighter for 4 engines.
Interesting, I thought only QF had that on the -400.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Dames
I must say, as a South African reading through this thread, I find the extremely ignorant comments regarding JHB and SA in general a bit ridiculous.
How true - I remember Evita Bezuidenhout at a show in London informing people that it simply isn't true that you get shot as soon as you get out of the plane - you get shot when you get out of the taxi!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I think it's fair, however, to acknowledge that South Africa is notorious for thefts from checked luggage. SAA even has a column in the inflight magazine where they, with refreshing and rather touching honesty, describe their continuing efforts against "baggage pilfering".
True. I was just trying to point out that it happens everywhere.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:43 am

How true - I remember Evita Bezuidenhout at a show in London informing people that it simply isn't true that you get shot as soon as you get out of the plane - you get shot when you get out of the taxi!
Well, the reality of that statement is that the majority of crime in this country happens in the poor communities. Taxi transport is very much a part of the life of the poor in this country. However, if you are worried about evacuating an aircraft because it's "unsafe" in Johannesburg, then I think you're being only slightly ridiculous :P

Originally Posted by Dames

But nevermind that - I really feel for all the people who now need to sort out all the logistical nightmares this incident will undoubtedly have caused them.
Saying you shouldn't be wary about moving around Joburg is just as ignorant. Or are you saying its fine to get off the Gautrain at Marlboro and wander around is safe?

Or what part of this discussion is ignorant?

Originally Posted by dera
True. I was just trying to point out that it happens everywhere.
+1 This.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
At USD$25k per year, we certainly weren't overpaid. Nobody works for an NGO to fly in premium cabins or to lead a plush lifestyle.

Originally Posted by at240
The same logic applies to charities as with investment banks or law firms or whatever -- you try to recruit and retain the best people possible. If that involves flying them in a premium class, which is invariably justified in commercial settings by (quite reasonably) claiming that it enables people to function more effectively on arrival, then I see no reason why those working for charities should be any different.
I'd be surprised if many (any?) large international nonprofits took this approach. While you do indeed want to attract the best people, not in a million years would you spend a single donor dollar to fly them in J.

Smiley noted, but it really depends on factors such as whether Oxfam was planning to get a days' work out of her at the office today (as opposed to paying a days' salary for her recuperating at home).
If only. The standard approach is that you fly overnight in Y and then put in a day's work. You wouldn't be working for a charity if you had a problem with that.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by pteron
When I did my PPL, we had volunteer fire crew at our aerodrome. I signed up. The training course was eye opening - you can drop a lit match onto Jet A1 and it will simply go out.
Exactly. Like I said earlier, you can smoke a cigar next to a puddle and you would be perfectly safe. People saying how a fuel leak is an inferno about to explode have never handled JetA1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.