Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL redemption ("joker") availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by golfmad
what fare class availability is needed if you want to book and pay for WT+ and then use a GUF2 to upgrade to J and a Joker to upgrade to F all through a travel agent in order to use the GUF2 from revenue space?
Woah... this is getting nicely complicated (although thanks to a very good recommendation from a BA FTer I do know a travel agent who would actually be able to handle this... PM me if interested - but do avoid Amex travel. Totally incompetent with GUF2s alone in my experience)

Thanks Tobias ^
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HighLife
PM me if interested
Done. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
what fare class availability is needed if you want to book and pay for WT+ and then use a GUF2 to upgrade to J and a Joker to upgrade to F all through a travel agent in order to use the GUF2 from revenue space?
I don't think this will/should work. Per the T&Cs IIRC you can't MFU a booking that has already been upgraded so your WT+ fare GUF'd to J (even via a TA in revenue) should not then be further MFUable. The joker simply produces award bucket space where there was none before, it doesn't give any other magic power.

Edit: it's actually a specific example in the T&Cs! http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ditions-of-use

5. A booking upgraded using Avios Points cannot be used in conjunction with any bookings that have already been subject to an upgrade (Upgrading using Avios Points or Gold Upgrade for Two) or any other promotions/offer
I think the GUFs have a similar condition so it won't work the other way around either.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I don't think this will/should work. Per the T&Cs IIRC you can't MFU a booking that has already been upgraded so your WT+ fare GUF'd to J (even via a TA in revenue) should not then be further MFUable. The joker simply produces award bucket space where there was none before, it doesn't give any other magic power.

Edit: it's actually a specific example in the T&Cs! http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ditions-of-use

I think the GUFs have a similar condition so it won't work the other way around either.
Ok, thanks. So the real benefit of the joker is - subject to availability - to create reward space in the cabin required. So, if I want to fly 2 people in F and there's no normal award space I can potentially open up 2 seats in F using the Joker and then either redeem points for use in F (including potentially using a 2-4-1) or paying for J and using the GUF2 to upgrade into them. Is that about right?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Ok, thanks. So the real benefit of the joker is - subject to availability - to create reward space in the cabin required. So, if I want to fly 2 people in F and there's no normal award space I can potentially open up 2 seats in F using the Joker and then either redeem points for use in F (including potentially using a 2-4-1) or paying for J and using the GUF2 to upgrade into them. Is that about right?
Yes.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: MUCCI
Hi there,

I have to say that I have not (touch wood) had that much trouble with Jokers but I have not really gone for the peak season redemptions etc. There are a few more jokers around at the moment with the realignment of the years etc so this might be creating a slight blip but in general this is the best benefit of GGL by far and usually you can get on whichever flight you want. The GGL team when you call them are super attentive and helpful when I have called and really will take the time with this stuff to see what they can do. DEN during a peak ski season is always going to be a tough ask I guess much like if you call now for a GGL to most destinations over Xmas/New Year I suspect you will be disappointed.....

FD.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:01 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HighLife
Quick question... can I combine the GGL joker and a GUF2? (For two people, obviously)

Can I also add a 2-4-1 into the mix?

Never tried this potent (and possibly explosive!) combination but time is running out and I have one joker, two 2-4-1s and two GUF2s sitting on my account... and no time to actually use them - but determined to try.
Yes, yes and yes. Done it, though not actually flown the booking yet.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes.
Originally Posted by squeeler
Yes, yes and yes. Done it, though not actually flown the booking yet.
Thanks all. Just called the GGL line and done just that. Chase travel together and a GUF2 used in conjunction with a joker to produce two seats in F for 100,000 Avios plus ~$2,400 in taxes.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Thanks all. Just called the GGL line and done just that. Chase travel together and a GUF2 used in conjunction with a joker to produce two seats in F for 100,000 Avios plus ~$2,400 in taxes.
This sounds really great. Can you combine GUF2 and 2for1 and Joker from different people? Say one person has a Joker and the other has a 2for1, can these be combined in the same booking?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mario
This sounds really great. Can you combine GUF2 and 2for1 and Joker from different people? Say one person has a Joker and the other has a 2for1, can these be combined in the same booking?
I'm new to this mario so I can't really say. If you call the GGL line I'm sure they'd be able to answer that for you. My first experience calling it was very positive. Very quick to be answered and very knowledgeable person on the other end of the line.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mario
I am sure I have done this mixing and matching jokers and 241 between my account and my wife's but we are both GGL.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:49 am

Could someone clarify the timing rules for booking with a Joker?

Is it only the booking that needs to be made during the membership year, or does actual travel have to take place within the membership year?

If it is only the booking that needs to be made during the membership year, can changes subsequently be made to it outside the membership year even if one is no longer GGL?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bigmerv
Could someone clarify the timing rules for booking with a Joker?

Is it only the booking that needs to be made during the membership year, or does actual travel have to take place within the membership year?

If it is only the booking that needs to be made during the membership year, can changes subsequently be made to it outside the membership year even if one is no longer GGL?

Thanks!
The Joker booking needs to be made during the validity of the Joker, the flight can be at any time.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The Joker booking needs to be made during the validity of the Joker, the flight can be at any time.
Super news and thanks for the quick response.

Re my second question, what about changes if I need to make those after the end of the relevant membership year to which the joker applies (and assuming I may not be GGL thereafter)?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I am sure I have done this mixing and matching jokers and 241 between my account and my wife's but we are both GGL.
Does anyone know if this is possible if Mrs alexwuk is merely vanilla-GCH? (ie an award booking for both of us, using my joker and her Amex 2for1 voucher?)

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.