Wiki Posts
Search

AA business vs BA Club

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
AA business vs BA Club

Myself, Wife and 11 month old daughter have just arrived in NY after what I can only describe as one of the best Biz services, hard and Soft I have ever experienced.

We were originally booked on a BA flight WT+ upgraded to Club with Avios. However, the flight was cancelled due to it being Thanksgiving which have us the opportunity to book on one of the new AA 77w's to try out their new Business Class seat.

Once checked in we made our way to the Admirals Lounge, which was VERY quiet. The food offering was small, but very good with a meat dish, pasta, salad, soup and sandwiches. A fair drink selection although the vodka I had never heard of.

I plus point for AA was the Bowls of twiglets, I'm partial to a few twiglets!

I forgot to add that when we checked in the agent said the flight was fairly quiet and allocated us an extra seat for our little one, just in case we needed it, which I thought was a nice touch.

Once on board it was apparent pretty quickly that the seat area was a it better than BA's offering. The seat configuration is 1-2-1 with each seat having direct access to the isle. We had 3 a/f/g although we didn't use A.

We were worried that without the bassinet we may have problems but the way the seat area is structured means that travelling with an infant was very good indeed. There was huge amounts of storage space. A large cupboard for jackets and several other cubby holes and areas to store all you bits and bobs.

The IFE was good, although I didn't get to use it much as I spent most often time watching ickle pigle and upstairs daisy on the iPad. The screen was clear and crisp and to be honest on par with the new BA IFE on its new 777 fleet. There were a few nice touches. A couple of screens at the front of the cabin that permanently displayed the moving map and the double sized restroom on one side of the plane. This was big enough to get all three of us in for a nappy change!

The food was superb. And I hate to say it it was far better than the BA First offerings I last experienced on my trip to SYD earlier the year.

I had the steak which was as good, if not better than most steaks you get in restaurants in the UK. It was served medium and cooked just right. Followed by an ice cream Sunday with hot chocolate fudge sauce, whipped cream and chopped nuts. I just couldn't manage it all I was full to bursting!

Other little plus points were the onboard Wifi, which was faster than I expected to be honest. The headphones are far superior to those supplied by BA and the kitbag offering was a little better.

All in all. Given the opportunity again I would choose AA's new 77W over BA's CW and probably F as well.

Its a shame that BA didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the CW offerings on their new 777 and the A380.

PS, sorry for any typos, written in the iPhone
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:07 am

Seems to be a common theme. The AA seat is almost identical (same model?) as the CX J seat, which is streets ahead of BA's offering. BA can cram more seats into the same space and crow all they want about profitability, but its a huge missed opportunity to be a leader again.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
BA should be grateful that at present only a few of AA's aircraft have these seats fitted because, as has been reported many times now, they've been left badly behind.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I flew the AA 777-300 LAX-LHR 3 weeks ago in business. I was surprised at the video and audio library, remarkably better than any AA flight I've been on before. My upgrade literally cleared just after boarding had started.

Some seat/cabin photos:

More photos HERE.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I flew DFW to LHR last month and was in 3A, in the mini cabin, on a 77W and was blown away by the hard product. I had read many reports of surly CC but that wasn't my experience either. I would say that my steak was ever so slightly over done though, which was a shame and the only thing I picked up on!

I am out to ORD shortly on an AA 777/200. My expectations are low!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
BA should be grateful that at present only a few of AA's aircraft have these seats fitted because, as has been reported many times now, they've been left badly behind.
Don't forget that BA/AA operate a 'metal neutral' JV across the pond. Therefore people chosing AA to 'hurt BA' revenue-wise aren't doing anything of the sort.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Don't forget that BA/AA operate a 'metal neutral' JV across the pond. Therefore people chosing AA to 'hurt BA' revenue-wise aren't doing anything of the sort.
I don't think anyone would actually do that, esp over a seat!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
In the long term though a rise in traffic on AA metal and fall on BA metal helps AA's negotiating position and share of the JV income.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:43 am

I always find this argument very short sighted. The JV is in place because it benefits both parties. If BA allows itself to fall further and further behind, there will come a time when AA doesn't need them anymore. They'll be left competing against AA and the rest, and doing it with a substandard product.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I don't think anyone would actually do that, esp over a seat!
Some people do hold grudges and refuse to fly with a certain airline because of poor previous experiences. This also happens in all service sectors of course not just air travel.

I would concur with your point but would say that 99.9% of people wouldn't do that, but some people would.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by phol
I always find this argument very short sighted. The JV is in place because it benefits both parties. If BA allows itself to fall further and further behind, there will come a time when AA doesn't need them anymore. They'll be left competing against AA and the rest, and doing it with a substandard product.
Absolutely correct. It can't be in BA's interests to stand still while their partners develop their products whatever the agreement between them.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
I dont feel my upcoming flight on AAs 767-300 in biz will be quite as pleasurable...
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
I dont feel my upcoming flight on AAs 767-300 in biz will be quite as pleasurable...
On a day flight where you aren't wanting to sleep for any significant time, it's perfectly acceptable but I'm afraid not in the 77W league.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Some people do hold grudges and refuse to fly with a certain airline because of poor previous experiences. T
I undestand that 100%, not however that they would do it because an alternative carrier had a better seat.

Fair enough choose the other carrier because of the better seat, to do it to 'hurt' BA because it has a worse seat not so much!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you like AA you will love QR's 787. Like the CX and AA seats it is a diamond but there is slightly more sideboard stowage space and I believe that the design is far more aesthetically pleasing:

Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3

I still prefer CW though! Fact: the seat shells for the Qatar seat and CW are made of the same material.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.