Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closure of LGW Arrivals Lounge (Sofitel)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by oscietra
...and there you have the case proven; those who really value the Gatwick Arrivals facility will pay for it themselves.
Will they be able to? If only 5% of eligible passengers used it (or was it really 5% of ALL BA passengers using it with only a subset of these eligible anyway - figures can be manipulated in many ways) then an even smaller number would be aware of and actually pay to use it, so I just see the facility closing.

When I flew CWLCY there was currently no arrivals facility as their agreement with the Marriott had expired and the new agreement with the Radisson had yet to have started. The CWLCY arrangement isn't the most convenient options either, it's a taxi ride (paid for by BA I think) to the hotel, then afterwards a further short taxi/DLR ride to Canary Wharf (although you could walk there if you had time and not much luggage)/The City.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
has anyone used the Yotel at LGW south?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Yes. It is just what you would expect of a Yotel: small cabin, comfy single bed, weird all in one shower-sink-toilet area with everthing working fine but better be strategic about the order in which you want to do things as once you have had a shower you couldn't really go and wash your hands without getting all wet, free coffee. I would say that £25 for the Sofitel would be better value if the point is to use as arrivals facility.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
That's another point; yotel's short pay-by-hour-blocks stay policy means that for a couple, it may well be better to "get a room" - a facility which wasn't available before.

I've used Yotel AMS and it was ideal when travelling alone for a brief arrive-late-leave-early stay, but AMS has the advantage of being airside.

www.yotel.com/hotels/london-gatwick

I honestly doubt if many incoming eligible LGW pax even knew there was an Arrivals Lounge, and even fewer would have wanted to schlep out and find it.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Nope.

Never said that.

Don't put words into my mouth.
I said this was the logical conclusion of what you said not what you said. If you think that cuts need to be made to sustain "competitive" fares (and I think there is room for some debate there too) where do you stop?

If as you argue low fares are everything and the product, brand and service can be compromised to yield "low" fares then why stop at the arrivals lounge?

I think that you undermine the brand and product equity when you tinker with the product offering like this and start loading on additional costs which were formerly part of an inclusive fare and product offering.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
If BA was the sole user of the LGW facility then I wonder whether Sofitel required a minimum spend guarantee by BA to make it worthwhile for them.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ian001
If BA was the sole user of the LGW facility then I wonder whether Sofitel required a minimum spend guarantee by BA to make it worthwhile for them.
I think you are on to the real issue, ian001.

This certainly has nothing to do with any supposed "logic" or fantastical supposition about further reductions.

It's the right decision, could save BA a six-figure sum and apart from being poorly communicated, it makes total sense to me.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Presumably it is a commercial decision and BA reckon that not providing an arrivals lounge will not make any difference to the number of pax choosing to fly with them from LGW. In a similar way the F lounge at LGW operated somewhat differently from those at LHR when I was last there with a reduced food and wine offering (at least before the LHR enhancement programme). At he moment there is less competetion for premium long haul routes from LGW and BA do not need to spend the money.

I did use the arrivals lounge when I last flew into LGW as I didn't particularly fancy the breakfast options in CW and it suited me to leave LGW 45 minutes later to avoid the rush hour on the M25. The absence of the facility doesn't bother me much (although changes of flight times to and from MRU mean that it is now more attractive to use EK via DXB and I'm not likely to have much other reason to go there rather than LHR).
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
What 'dedicated BA Premium Fast Track s

As for the gradual retirement of the 737s, they are not intended to improve the flying experience but to use the higher density and more fuel efficient ex-BMI 319/320s which BA inherited and need to use but shied away from using at LHR because they are so much more uncomfortable than the rest of their short haul fleet. Their pitch is minimal, they have no proper headrest, and the CE cabin has the 3x3 seating with middle seat blocked that frequent flyers complained so much about when BA tried to introduce just that a few years ago! I consider myself lucky when I get those good old 734s which, unlike the ex-BMI birds used as an LGW alternative have more seat pitch, more comfortable seats, and a wardrobe.
I recently complained to CR about the frankly, insulting, Airbus CE product from LGW, and was assured that this was a product that was intended to be phased out. I'm not convinced. More worryingly, said person I spoke to in CR seemed almost unaware of the difference in hard product, initially responding with "well, we do block off the middle seat for you", as if that was to justify my complaint. Apparently popping a CE branded antimacassar on the non-adjustable headrest is enough to call it a CE seat.

I did make the point that surely, business sense for BA means that they should be making every effort to A) ensure a consistent product between bases, B) Aim to differentiate the service quality and hard product from other competing airlines as much as feasibly possible (namely the orange brigade, who in all the years I've flown with, have never had anything to complain about).

Instead, they'd rather dumb down the product, hope that people don't notice, then blame Gatwick/the competition when the chips are down. Do they ever learn?

On the plus side, the 'service recovery' Avios have justified a little holiday to Mykonos next year. Will I spend my hard earnt cash with BA again? Unless things improve, it won't be from LGW, and seeing as all the flying I do is for leisure, the chances have become slim.

The flights in question were on the LGW-ACE route, which we've previously always done with easyJet.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:20 pm

Just a small note about the exBMI A3xx - they have been sent to LGW due to the hold luggage being loose loaded instead of using containers (containers don't fit). LHR can't "cope" with loose loading (esp T5) so that's why those aircraft have been sent to LGW.

I'm sure it's of no consolation, but us crew don't particularly like working on them either.

Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
I'd rather they spent the money on the new fleet and fast track security rather than a lounge used by only a handful of people, which we all subsidised.
Unlike fast track, which all of us.. er...
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It's rather short notice too, which is a bit harsh on passengers who were expecting to use the service.
Exactly. Family Fruitcake, 4 of us, were caught out by this today. Having been in Jamaica for a week (i.e. we left UK before this was announced) we arrived in the Sofitel this morning, having arrived from KIN in CW.

We took ourselves to the lounge, hoping for a shower and breakfast etc. In fact, breakfast was laid out and we went in and sat down. We were then given a letter from BA by a hotel employee, pointing out that the lounge had been enhanced away - a matter of customer choice / convenience, of course.

The hotel is still running it as a paid for facility, for now - they took pity on us, very nicely, and gave us breakfast - all a bit embarrassing though. It was very clear the hotel management are not at all happy with this and that the BA decision was taken very late in the day. I rang BA customer services this afternoon and they only knew about it on Thursday. They accepted my point (also the hotel's) that this lounge was never very well publicised anyway.

Anyway, I felt a service we had expected in good faith at the time of booking (and departure!) - and had prepared to use - was removed with effectively no notice. Just the hotel's goodwill rescued this somewhat.

Last edited by Fruitcake; Nov 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:00 pm

What do they charge for access now?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Anyway, I felt a service we had expected in good faith at the time of booking (and departure!) - and had prepared to use - was removed with effectively no notice. Just the hotel's goodwill rescued this somewhat.
If the lounge is still open then BA should honour all ticket bookings made before the announcement.
I'm sure if you complained BA would refund any charges you incurred had the hotel staff not been so obliging.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:41 pm

What do they charge for access now?
per my post (#8) £25

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.