Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's your nearest BA served airport and how do you get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
LHR - take the X26 from Croydon if not in a hurry - £1.40 and 90 mins.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

LCY. £1.50 zone extension fare on my zone 1&2 travelcard. About 20/30 mins depending on tube/dlr connection times.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:49 pm

Zurich

I have three options
  • taxi - but I have only two arms and two legs, so saving this for an emergency
  • bus and train - CHF 11.60 (err, GBP 16-17) and 70 minutes (60 if I get a lift to the station 2km away)
  • car - 35 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
SEA, about 35 minutes by car. If I take a taxi, it's about $40 USD.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Nearest airport served by BA? There's a clue in my location!

Occasionally, if it's just for a couple of days and hand luggage only, I will drive in and park at the airport. $36 per day, plus however many dollars it is for road and tunnel tolls - I have E-Z pass so I don't actually know. I never use off airport parking sites.

If only one of us is travelling, Mr H and I will occasionally drop off and pick each other up.

Most of the time we use a car service. $130 each way, plus hefty tip. Having a driver to handle the luggage is worth every penny! It always used to be a Lincoln town car but they are no longer made so the car company is trying different vehicles at the moment. I've preferred all of them to the old LTCs!

For a morning flight, I always stay at the Airport Hilton. Despite a recent thread extolling the virtues of a.m. Boston traffic, I've been stuck in it too many times to depend on a clear run to the airport.

At airports in Europe we have always picked up a rental car at the airport and kept it for the duration. We will no longer be renting cars at MAN. The total impracticality of getting to / from the new car rental village with luggage, combined with the inefficiency, questionable practises, and downright rudeness of the Avis staff there, have made us change to using a car service and then picking up a car at our final destination.

We still use Avis everywhere else and they have always been excellent, but the staff at MAN are letting the company down.

Last edited by HilFly; Oct 25, 2013 at 5:56 am
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:07 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
LHR - couple of buses via Kingston, free with my travelcard. Time varies but I'm rarely in a hurry or with enough bags to make it a pain. 50-90 minutes. Very occasionally a half hour cab for £30/50 (to/from). Though next time will be a Qantas chauffeur

LGW is further but quicker by train via Clapham Junction. Half hour if I catch it just right.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
ABZ. About 10-15 minute drive from my flat. I usually get a lift or a taxi if it's work related. Occasionally use the wee bus from the city which takes just over 30 minutes.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:49 am

ARN. 13 minutes in a cab (35EUR) or 10 minutes if I drive.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
LCY is closest at about 30 minutes by tube/DLR, but it takes about an hour by train to LGW and 75 minutes to LHR - pretty handy for all three to be honest.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
I'm closest to Heathrow, at 12.2 miles, or 20 mins (15 mins this morning )
Gatwick is next closest, at 33.5 miles, or 45 mins

EDIT: London City is closer than Gatwick, at 14.4 miles, although driving from SW London to East London would take more than 2 hours so is not an option for us.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
EMA - Closest airport, but BA haven't used it for some time.
MAN - Closest BA airport but that means heading north in order to fly south to LHR and connect, so of course I end up using ...
LHR - Couple of hours on the train to St Pancras, then tube.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:04 am

HKG

10 min cab journey to in-town check in followed by a 20 min train ride to the airport, costs approx £10.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:13 am

LBA 10 miles about 20 mins. Usually drive but parking has shot up in price. Getting cab tomorrow. As often as not I drive to LHR 3.5 hours (always drive if flying virgin) tend to fly down if getting BA .
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
MAN - around 3hrs by train and a 5 min walk to the terminal. Or a 2h15 drive on a good day.
NCL - 2h30 drive up to the Metro Centre so somewhere around that time for the airport. Train takes 3hrs.
LHR - 3h30 to drive it (maybe faster if I put my foot down). 4hrs+ by train.
LGW - drove down in less than 4hrs last time and that included stopping at McDonalds for a bacon roll. Train around 4hrs again.
LCY - less than 4hrs by train.

Nothing too close to me. Nearest airport is Humberside which is 13 or so miles away. Good for KLM to AMS and the 6:15am flight arrives possibly before the first BA flight from London?
Do have East Midlands etc all within 2hrs for other operators.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I live in the middle of nowhere on the border between England and Scotland. Even locals think I'm very isolated (no mains services at all, apart from a weak mobile phone signal if the wind is not from the east). I have to drive everywhere. However I am one hour from NCL, 70 minutes from EDI and 100 minutes from GLA, and in all three cases on empty roads without traffic lights for almost all of it. MME (Middlesbrough International!) is also 90 minutes away though I avoid it like the plague, Newcastle bus station is better appointed and organised. MAN is 3 hours away, zero traffic lights between me and the airport carpark, admittedly driving quite fast. I guess LBA is about the same. If Carlisle re-opened for passenger business - which has been mulled as long as I've been alive - that would be another one for me.

Compared to almost anywhere west of Swindon I feel very lucky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.