Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios miles expired due to misleading statement.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios miles expired due to misleading statement.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Avios miles expired due to misleading statement. Now reinstated!

I combined my Executive Club and Avios miles last year which appeared as a transaction on my statement. I was under the impression that my miles would stay active until 2015. Even AwardWallet had listed my expiration as 2015. However, it turns out that this particular transaction isn't considered for expiry of miles. I tried to write an email to British Airways and they are sticking firm to their policy. NO REINSTATEMENT! Any suggestions?

Date Description Tier Points Avios
28-Sep-13 Expired Avios 0 -104,042
01-Oct-12 Combine My Avios 0 1,000

UPDATE:
My points were reinstated after a second request describing the situation.
Thanks BA!!!

Last edited by flyerfrog; Oct 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reason: update
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:53 pm

Move on and forget about it?

Your Avios points stay with you as long as you collect, spend, purchase or share at least one Avios every 36 months — any longer and your Avios will expire and be removed, so remember to take action before those three years are up.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_gb#
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It does state in the Executive Club Conditions of Use at https://www.britishairways.com/trave...mbine_my_avios

Originally Posted by BA
11. Moving Avios using 'Combine my Avios' will not count as earning or redeeming Avios; and will not prevent the expiry of your Avios balance under the Programmes Terms and Conditions.
so it doesn't seem like something that has been made up. Award Wallet is nothing to do with BA and that it said otherwise serves to warn about the risk of 3rd party tools

Other than contacting customer services and asking them to waive the term ( which it sounds like it is not prepared to do) , I am not sure what else you can do

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 14, 2013 at 10:58 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Move on and forget about it?
with 104,000 points lost, I can understand wanting to check if there is a way out of it before throwing in the towel
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Sounds like tge misleading statement was not from BA's side, at least in that they did not state an incorrect date

BA could do do much more here though, other schemes are able to provide an expiry date, why don't BA?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Anectodally they have re-instated expired miles for people who show some loyalty back to them - i.e. book and take a few flights with them and then ask nicely. Might be worth a PM to Nicci (BA Executive Club) to see if she can help but don't count on anything.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfrog
Even AwardWallet had listed my expiration as 2015.
The only "misleading statement" seems to have come from AwardWallet.

You should always check with the actual programme involved, and never rely on some disinterested third party that clearly doesn't understand the rules. Perhaps you should complain to them instead.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You should always check with the actual programme involved, and never rely on some disinterested third party that clearly doesn't understand the rules. Perhaps you should complain to them instead.
Despite their flaky spelling, I doubt Award Wallet would entertain a complaint.

Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Despite their flaky spelling, I doubt Award Wallet would entertain a complaint.
I can't see any flaky spelling
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
One line the OP might explore is when any set of actual avios.com miles were earned.
If that can be shown to be <3 years then at least there is an argument the OP did earn avios within the last 3 years. That might give BAEC an excuse/opportunity to look favourably in interpreting its T&C.

IIRC the T&C are clumsily worded in talking about earning avios, not specifically earning avios and crediting them direct to BAEC.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stevieed
I can't see any flaky spelling
guaranty

appears in the OED alright, but dated 1732, and says: Now rare, superseded by guarantee v.

And of course "program" should be "programme" (in British English).
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:11 am

I can't see why reward programs don't ALL post an expiration date on the account summary page. Dealing with things like this must be a customer service issue, so it's in the airline's interest as well.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I can't see why reward programs don't ALL post an expiration date on the account summary page. Dealing with things like this must be a customer service issue, so it's in the airline's interest as well.
I would have said that being able to remove a 100k liability in points is in BA's interest rather than helping then not to expire
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would have said that being able to remove a 100k liability in points is in BA's interest rather than helping then not to expire
I'm not trying to compare BA and DL, but I think DL said the reason their miles no longer expire is, because it was the issue they received the MOST customer service calls about. Even they recognized the time they were spending on this and the dissatisfaction it created with customers when miles expired. Ironically a program intended to create loyalty can have the opposite effect.

Having said that, I'm not sure it's always in their interest to get 100k off the books this way.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
Having said that, I'm not sure it's always in their interest to get 100k off the books this way.
Investor Relations run the shop, if they can remove a liability from their balance sheet, this will be reflected in terms of dividend, which is generally all institutional investors are interested in. Make no mistake, big companies generally don't care HOW they make money, as long as they make money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.