Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Lounge in Rio

Hi, has anyone been through Rio recently - if so what is the lounge and facilities like? Are there showers etc?

I've had a look on the lounge thread and doesn't really give much detail.

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Did you actually make it to the last post (#19) in that thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ribbean.html)?)? In addition to that, I can add that (1) no, there is no shower, (2) it really got very busy closer to BA's departure time and (3) the most edible thing I found there was the Portuguese-style mini-pies in the hot food section - the chicken and palmito pies were relatively tasty.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, EK Gold, BA Gold
It's poor
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I hope it isn't as poor as Sao Paulo GRU!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by IceInTheCider
I hope it isn't as poor as Sao Paulo GRU!
The UC at GRU is a glamorous haven of luxury compared to the SEA lounge at GIG.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:32 am

Lounge in Rio

I was in there a few weeks ago and it was very grim. Poor food and alcohol selection, especially for such a late departing flight.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:30 am

I've been there a couple of times in the last month flying CW to and from LHR. The lounge is really awful - small and not particularly comfortable. It's in the SEA lounge which is down a long corridor away from the departure gate. I believe they are upgrading the lounges in preparation for the World Cup and Olympics but at the moment I'd try and spend as much time as possible in Rio instead of inside the lounge at GIG. Oh, and no showers.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by dvinton
I've been there a couple of times in the last month flying CW to and from LHR. The lounge is really awful - small and not particularly comfortable. It's in the SEA lounge which is down a long corridor away from the departure gate. I believe they are upgrading the lounges in preparation for the World Cup and Olympics but at the moment I'd try and spend as much time as possible in Rio instead of inside the lounge at GIG.
+1. My hotel told me I should really leave Ipanema at 6. This meant I was at GIG before 7 (in spite of the rush hour traffic), which was 40 minutes before check-in even opened. The only advantage was that I arrived into the lounge early enough to commandeer one of the few available sockets. So my advice, unless you are flying out on a Friday when you have to count on the traffic being even worse, is to have an early dinner in Rio and then head off to GIG. Most of the time I've spent at GIG has been fairly depressing (none more so than catching a flight during the morning of 2/9/2009) but I really did quite like the AA lounge.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life; AEGEAN Gold; HILTON Lifetime Diamond; MARRIOTT Lifetime Platinum; IHG Diamond Amb.
Lounge in Rio

Not much food but free WiFi available. Forget the alcohol!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I agree with all above. It's a pretty poor lounge, miles from anywhere, and you can afford to get to GIG quite late. The staff were friendly and helpful though when we passed through.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:14 am

do first and cw use the same lounge? if not, is first any better.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:17 am

Just the one lounge I'm afraid - it's got two halves with free movement between them, one with hot and one with cold "food" (but don't get excited!).

BA doesn't even offer an F lounge at GRU (although hopefully that could change with TAM joining OW).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:22 am

thanks.
i usually fly in/out of gru and have not used the lounge in gig as of yet. currently weighting up options of whether to upgrade from cw to 1st
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Just the one lounge I'm afraid - it's got two halves with free movement between them, one with hot and one with cold "food" (but don't get excited!).

BA doesn't even offer an F lounge at GRU (although hopefully that could change with TAM joining OW).
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

In the old days when BA had its own lounge at GRU, there was apparently a separate F room until about 2007 - though so well concealed that on the one relevant occasion I was denied the chance of sampling the delights contained therein. I miss the old BA lounge as the balcony was a very nice feature.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:06 am

flew out of GIG on Saturday. The SEA lounge used by One World really is a great disappointment. Wifi wasn't working and there are an inadequate number of charging sockets - had to use one in the toilets! Chairs were uncomfortable, and there were no crisps or olives . . . . Basically, the facilities were little better than the lounge in Havana and a lot less comfortable. Not good when your flight's been delayed by an hour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.