Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Trial - Automatic Check-In for certain routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Trial - Automatic Check-In for certain routes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is a trial (though they've already had one trial relating to destinations in France) and it is opt in.

It would be useful for me, I have a lot of flights and it is sometimes tricky getting the time to check in for them all. I am also not that bothered where I sit on short haul, I've got plenty of other things to worry about. If you are busy and not too fussy this idea has some benefits.

The one thing that would concern me though is this: what if you opted in, you ticket hasn't been issued at that stage (not unusual) but remains unissued at T-25 (unusual). You don't really notice the absence of the emailed boarding pass, you then get to the airport and the ticket is stuck (and it's 3am in the UK).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:27 am

If this takes off then I guess those who opt out could find pretty limited choice when they come to check in on the dot of OLCI opening.

Preferring to select your own seat may turn out to be the lesser of the two options.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is a trial (though they've already had one trial relating to destinations in France) and it is opt in.

It would be useful for me, I have a lot of flights and it is sometimes tricky getting the time to check in for them all. I am also not that bothered where I sit on short haul, I've got plenty of other things to worry about. If you are busy and not too fussy this idea has some benefits.

The one thing that would concern me though is this: what if you opted in, you ticket hasn't been issued at that stage (not unusual) but remains unissued at T-25 (unusual). You don't really notice the absence of the emailed boarding pass, you then get to the airport and the ticket is stuck (and it's 3am in the UK).
But in BA speak 'trial' means first phase. Full roll out will follow in a matter of weeks after the 'trial' is deemed to be a success.

The hand baggage only fares 'trial' shows how these things go.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
So if you have pre-selected for example seat 3F at booking and use auto check-in it won't shift you into a different seat? If not it seems like a good idea to me but not if it has the possibility of changing your seat without your knowing and then issues a boarding pass that then can't be changed.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shefgab
Why would they auto check in at T-25? At OLCI at T-24 there'll be no seats left for people that want to choose one. Isn't that one of BAs selling points? "A free choice of seats at OLCI"? Unless of course they open OLCI at T-48.

Why not auto-check in at T-6 (or sometime like that) so people that actually want a choice of seat (for free) can get it at OLCI, and people that don't care either way (I mean if you've not paid for a seat, and haven't OLCI early, then you probably don't care) get the seat leftovers at T-6, same as arriving late at the airport.
This is what I would do.

I think LX has a system like this. IIRC, you can OLCI at T-23h (or a little before that), and auto check-in takes place at T-20h. That means that you can OLCI manually even if you have opted in to auto check-in, thus getting a better chance at a good choice of seats - but if you can't get to OLCI before T-20h, then the computer will do you automatically at that point.

To me, that makes more sense than doing the auto check-in before anyone's had a chance to pick their own seats at T-24h.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Unless you are trying to drive revenue by forcing more people to pay for seat selection - it does kind of look like that
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:21 am

Why would they auto check in at T-25? At OLCI at T-24 there'll be no seats left for people that want to choose one. Isn't that one of BAs selling points? "A free choice of seats at OLCI"? Unless of course they open OLCI at T-48.
Well if there are still two seats left at T-24 you will still have a free choice of seats at OLCI .

The bean counters probably decided that there was too much choice at T-24 and that not enough passengers were paying for seat selection. This enhancement should fix that once and for all.

Edit: Sorry Jenbel you got that point in before me.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze; Hyatt GP; Radisson; etc...
Can anyone explain the point of this? I don't get it. The customer loses choice and BA still get no shows. There appears to be no benefit.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I don't like the way everything has been rebranded.

To us old school airline employees (ex-employee, in my case) "check-in" occurred when presenting at the airport saying "I am ready to fly", in other words, "checking-in". At LHR T5, this is now called "conformance".

I have never liked the idea of online checkin, using whatever means you use to do so. In actual fact, all it is is advanced seat selection and boarding pass printing.

How is the airline to know whether or not someone has been delayed en route after remote check-in? What if their taxi had a flat tyre, or was delayed on the wrong side of a traffic accident? The airline would not know that the passenger is delayed, all they would know is that they had "checked in" but could not be found at boarding time. (As noted, at T5 this is not an issue, as the passenger would not make conformance, but what about elsewhere?)

Sorry for my rant, but "Auto check in" will make this worse! What if the passenger had been in a car crash, and being hospitalised was unable to notify the airline that they would not be flying? They would be checked in, and the airline would be looking for them just prior to flight closure, and there is no way that the airline would know that they were unable to fly that day.

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is not "opt in", unless me opting out means that there won't be auto check-in for anyone travelling on my flight.

If all seats have already been assigned by this, there is no choice remaining. Currently, those in the know profit from others who either don't care or have not figured out how to select seats.

I also fail to see any benefits to customers.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is what I would do.

I think LX has a system like this. IIRC, you can OLCI at T-23h (or a little before that), and auto check-in takes place at T-20h. That means that you can OLCI manually even if you have opted in to auto check-in, thus getting a better chance at a good choice of seats - but if you can't get to OLCI before T-20h, then the computer will do you automatically at that point.

To me, that makes more sense than doing the auto check-in before anyone's had a chance to pick their own seats at T-24h.
That makes sense to me too.

What might be good is an optional auto-check at, say, T-20 that you can opt into from T-48 onwards. That would help people who are disconnected but still benefit those who OLCI themselves at T-24.

At the moment it just sounds like a scheme to get people to pay for seating. Not that it would make much difference to me, LH i'll pay anyway to make sure I get a decent seat and SH I don't really care.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:13 pm

Why not auto-check in at T-6 (or sometime like that) so people that actually want a choice of seat (for free) can get it at OLCI, and people that don't care either way (I mean if you've not paid for a seat, and haven't OLCI early, then you probably don't care) get the seat leftovers at T-6, same as arriving late at the airport..
Except of course at LHR T5 where you have to show up at T-7h to pass security.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Except of course at LHR T5 where you have to show up at T-7h to pass security.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As others have pointed out AF has had auto check in for four years. Essentially an unmitigated disaster especially for people with "unusual situations" (co travellers on separate pnrs, people with infants etc). Also, those of us keen enough to check in when olci opens (t-30 with AF t-24 with ba) essentially get trumped by people who didn't really use to care. You can of course change your seat but if 2/3 of the cabin has been auto assigned this is of little use. Very easyjetish if you ask me.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Ex Gold, Now Silver :)
On a lighter note, it may be the end of seat numbers and BA sell speedy boarding and may the fastest legs get the seat of their choice

Then auto check-in has no negatives...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.