Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA phone fees when online tool doesn't recognize destination city

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Very frustrating experience. Wanted to book intra-Peru flight on LA to Cuzco using Avios. BA online didn't recognize city even if I typed 3-letter code. So I had to call to book. $100 fee for family of 4. Agent says no discretion to waive. Emailed BA and they responded to call local agent.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The fee is not waived if the functionality does not exist online, although some agents do waive it. So what you experienced was the correct protocol.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by letsgomets
Very frustrating experience. Wanted to book intra-Peru flight on LA to Cuzco using Avios. BA online didn't recognize city even if I typed 3-letter code. So I had to call to book. $100 fee for family of 4. Agent says no discretion to waive. Emailed BA and they responded to call local agent.
I've had them waive it numerous times. Next time hang up and dial back. Next time don't be specific with them. Whenever something fails for me online, I just tell them "the website gave me an error"
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Seems like right approach. Not a lack of "functionality" because the ability to book LAN online does exist. I didn't hang up and try again because this agent (i got her name) swore she used to always waive in this circumstance but now they are forbidden. Seems absurd given that having a complete directory of cities doesn't seem like such a complication to have.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nux
The fee is not waived if the functionality does not exist online, .
I'm with the OP on this one.
He shouldn't have been charged an offline booking fee just because BA's IT is lacking. LAN served routes used to show online but quite a few aren't any more for some strange reason.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by letsgomets
Seems like right approach. Not a lack of "functionality" because the ability to book LAN online does exist. I didn't hang up and try again because this agent (i got her name) swore she used to always waive in this circumstance but now they are forbidden. Seems absurd given that having a complete directory of cities doesn't seem like such a complication to have.

In your situation I would of tried the normal hang up and try again but if that didn't work I would pay up and then put pen to paper and send a proper letter to BA detailing why I felt it u fair to be charging in this situation.

cs
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

I recently spent 58 minutes on the phone when unable to pay for JAL domestic Avios booking where the cash element was zero. BA . Com could not cope at payment page. The agent wanted to assist but no one would allow the waiver. In the end it was only waived when their it people discovered they could not make it work either. I could not help thinking that they had lost a lot more business than my £100 in fees by tying up one agent plus it support for almost an hour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.