Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement BA Lounge at NBO???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Africanflyer1955
As many will know the NBO lounge was lost in the fire a few years ago. I came back from NBO last night for the first time in a couple of months and was offered use of the Turkish Airlines lounge at gate 3.

Theoretically this is good news but as well as serving Turkish this is also the Priority Pass lounge at NBO and has been a bit of haven during the interim arrangements. Last night it was rammed but as several flights were called about the same time as the BA flight, it was not posssible to determine if it was the extra BA pax that made it so full.

It was unclear if the lounge was just being offered to C and F or all BAEC members with status.

The lounge is at Gate 3 and about a 10 minute walk from the normal BA gate.

The lifts and escalators at NBO from immigration to gate level are still out of action after many weeks.
I am sat at the Turkish Airlines lounge at NBO at this moment. And I use the term 'sat' extremely loosely as it is packed to the gills with literally nowhere to sit unless you want to go into the pitch black, foul smelling,dungeon that is the 'quiet zone'. They just asked one person to stand up to accommodate a woman in a wheelchair. They just called the LH flight and literally two people got up and left so at least I was able to dive into their seats before anyone else could.

We are squeezed into the very back row by the windows, managed by handing our carryons over the knees of other passengers as they have crammed seats in so there is precious little room to move with peoples' bags in the aisles, with freezing arctic air blowing at gale force levels from the AC right down on us. I can't tell what the food offerings are like as I am now boxed in and can't get out. If this is the best BA has to offer, it is terrible. If I could get out, I would run to the Aspire lounge. It has to be better than this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:36 pm

Agreed. The TK lounge is a complete dump. Unfortunately LH and EK both moved from Aspire at the same time, add in SAA and TK plus priority pass and BA and it is over capacity. Not helped by several flights leaving at the same time.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec GGL CCR, Turkish M&S Elite, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First Plus
Originally Posted by Finkface
I am sat at the Turkish Airlines lounge at NBO at this moment. And I use the term 'sat' extremely loosely as it is packed to the gills with literally nowhere to sit unless you want to go into the pitch black, foul smelling,dungeon that is the 'quiet zone'. They just asked one person to stand up to accommodate a woman in a wheelchair. They just called the LH flight and literally two people got up and left so at least I was able to dive into their seats before anyone else could.

We are squeezed into the very back row by the windows, managed by handing our carryons over the knees of other passengers as they have crammed seats in so there is precious little room to move with peoples' bags in the aisles, with freezing arctic air blowing at gale force levels from the AC right down on us. I can't tell what the food offerings are like as I am now boxed in and can't get out. If this is the best BA has to offer, it is terrible. If I could get out, I would run to the Aspire lounge. It has to be better than this.
Thanks for the heads up on this.

I shall avoid it like the plague tomorrow night.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: LOTS
Smile

We used the TK lounge on the evening of Sunday 10 December. After the previous negative comments we were pleasantly surprised. We didn't enter until after 22.00 hours having sensibly had drinks & dinner at the Ole Sereni prior to checking in. The lounge was nearly empty with comfortable seating & a reasonable supply of snacks & drinks. It was also pleasantly cool compared to the rest of the airport!

Compared to what has been available for the past few years this is a big improvement. The walk to & from the BA gate also provides some useful pre flight exercise!!
internetplumber likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Reading all this fills me with dread for my flight tomorrow night! I note the TK lounge is in 1E when the BA flight departs from 1B, and on a map that appears to be a different building? How do I get to the lounge; should I asked to be dropped off by taxi somewhere else or is it all walkable?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by stevebintley
Reading all this fills me with dread for my flight tomorrow night! I note the TK lounge is in 1E when the BA flight departs from 1B, and on a map that appears to be a different building? How do I get to the lounge; should I asked to be dropped off by taxi somewhere else or is it all walkable?
No, you'll be fine. Just go to 1B as usual, and then once you're through passport control and up the escalator, turn right and keep walking.... Eventually you get to a newer tin building which is 1E (still connected via the same corridor, and is the same building as the new immigration counters) and you get to the TK lounge. Walking from there back to the BA gate 10 will take you c 5 minutes...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:12 pm

Indeed its an easy walk. Pretty ordinary lounge though and packed at peak times. Fine if you like a Samoa and cold beer but manage expectations......
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Thank you both. And ooh what an airport! While walking through the main departure terminal it reminded me of Northampton's underground market at the bus station, but I believe even that has been demolished now. They also appear not to be able to afford lighting. And I'm not sure what the modern tin / UPVC shed is supposed to be, but it feels more like quarantine than an airport.

However, I have successfully made it to the TK lounge; it was as easy as you both suggested. I can see how it can very quickly become as bad as @Finkface experienced - there's about 60 seats and already it's very busy. The range of food and drink doesn't seem too bad though and the staff are super friendly. View over a few Kenya aircraft (although one has now powered up and I can't hear myself talk) and both USB and electric sockets are present around the centre banks of seats. Overall it doesn't seem that bad and the free standing air conditioning units are working well. It's certainly better than hanging around in the main building so, once again, I remain truly grateful of my Silver status :-)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:19 am

BA lounge NBO airport

Is there now a new BA lounge open at NBO airport or are they still using Turkish Airlines?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:20 am

Is there a new BA lounge at NBO airport or are they still using Turkish Airlines?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
There is a new lounge, but it is a long walk through the terminal.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by susan59
Is there a new BA lounge at NBO airport or are they still using Turkish Airlines?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum susan59. It's good to see you here, greetings for Christmas and the New Year.

As far as I am aware it's still the TAV lounge, often known as the Turkish Lounge, close to gates 3 and 4A, and quite some walk from the BA gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.