Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR - GIB: Which Side?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

BA LHR - GIB: Which Side?

Can anyone recommend which side of the plane to opt for to get a good view of the Rock for landing and departure?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
It will depend on the wind/runway direction in use, but if on Easterlies, then it'll be the right hand side on arrival - as you gradually descend down around the rock in a corkscrew type manner.

I don't know about Westerlies though, or departures.

Wind Stats
http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/..._gibraltar.htm
Current Runway in Use info:
http://www.plane-mad.com/airport-wea...-gib-lxgb.html

Last edited by jbfield; Sep 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jbfield - likely to be westerlies in that part of Europe. I think.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Can anyone recommend which side of the plane to opt for to get a good view of the Rock for landing and departure?
On landing depends on 'whether you land runway 27 (heading west) or 09 (heading east). On landing on 27 you will see the Rock from the left side of the aircraft as you are coming in. However, if you really want a great view sit on the right side of the aircraft and hope for a landing on 09. Due to the air space restrictions to the north and west, a 09 approach involves flying right around the southern tip of the Rock, a turn northwards with the Rock on your right side, and then a tight final turn to get on to 090 heading to land.

I am not sure whether there is a prevailing wind which tends to mean one tends to be used more often - can someone advise on that?
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
On landing depends on 'whether you land runway 27 (heading west) or 09 (heading east). On landing on 27 you will see the Rock from the left side of the aircraft as you are coming in. However, if you really want a great view sit on the right side of the aircraft and hope for a landing on 09. Due to the air space restrictions to the north and west, a 09 approach involves flying right around the southern tip of the Rock, a turn northwards with the Rock on your right side, and then a tight final turn to get on to 090 heading to land.

I am not sure whether there is a prevailing wind which tends to mean one tends to be used more often - can someone advise on that?
The Levante winds normally come from the east through the straight. I would say bet on right side.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

This thread may interest some folks including the OP.

A guide to the best side of airplane on landing at different airports
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
This excellent TR from June last year makes reference to this point: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...b-ba-club.html
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
It is a gamble, but on my last flight to GIB, I was in 1A and had the rock on my left as we came into land. In fact, we had a go-around due to high winds, so I get a special 360 degree visual of it!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies folks and for the links.

I really hope the following thread gets more contributions: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-airports.html

I'll add my tuppence when I've done Gib.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
statistically and as reported in the thread 09 is generally the runway in use due to the prevailing wind but as Autumn appraches it can be a little more variable. You will not see much if 27 is in use until almost wheels down. Indeed for 09, the journey around the rock with some tightish turns can be fun just make sure the seat belt remains secure until exiting the runway...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:22 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by nivsy
You will not see much if 27 is in use until almost wheels down.
Indeed.

Summary:
Wind from the West: Take Off: Seat A Landing: Seat F (for first time visitor, but debatable)
Wind from the East: Take Off: Debatable. Landing: Seat F.

To further expand on this:

LANDING from the East towards the West (Wind from the West):

Left Hand View (seat A)
If you get your head right against the glass and look as forward as you can, you might see the east side of the Gibraltar coast for a second, then the rock will whiz by as you land.
The aircraft then turns around at the end of the runway to taxi back to the terminal. For the taxi back you will be looking away from the rock and looking towards Spain.

Right Hand Side View (seat F):
You will be able to see the the coast line in Spain, the coastline essentially marks the start of runway. So you can use it as a reference point. No views of Gibraltar at first. Once landed the aircraft turns around at the end of the runway, you now see the rock and marina as you taxi back to the terminal.

RHS wins IMO for a first time visitor.

LANDING from the West going around the rock and over the bay (wind from the East):

Left Hand View (seat A)
No sign of the rock at all really. Views of the Spanish port of Algeciras on the opposite side of the bay of Gibraltar.

Right Hand Side View (seat F):
The prize view. Fly round the rock, and best view for the turn to land.

RHS wins IMO for a first time visitor.

LANDING: Right hand side (seat F) wins for either wind direction IMO for a first time visitor. Flying south from the UK, this also means that for morning departures the sun is on the seat A side of the aircraft, you are in the shade.

TAKE OFF towards the East (wind from the East):

Right Hand Side (Seat F):
You will have a view towards Spain as you taxi down the runway, turn around at the end. You will see the rock and marina go by as you take off.

Left Hand Side (Seat A):
You will see the rock and marina as you taxi to the end of the runway to turn around. Then a view of Spain and the airport terminal as you take off.

Debatable.

TAKE OFF towards the West flying around the rock over the bay (wind from the West):

Left Hand Side (Seat A):
The best take off view, although due to aircraft incline, need to lean forward to see out the window.
Rock whizes by as you go along the runway, then round the rock.

Right Hand Side (Seat F):

Terminal and runway crossing whiz by. No real further view at all.

TAKE OFF: Seat A if westerly wind. Although you do then have the sun on your window back to the UK if after midday.
Calchas, percysmith and flarmip like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 5:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by David-A

Summary:
Landing: Seat F.
Thanks.
Took this advice.
Had a triple landing yesterday, so much fun:

Flight route 23 Nov https://fr24.com/BAW4RE/32f08d57

Missed approach 1:

Missed approach 2:

Approach 3 (landed):

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.