Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another tale of rudeness from the Lounge staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another tale of rudeness from the Lounge staff

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But the thing is that the rules are not complicated at all...
Exactly! If an airline employee has difficulty in understanding the rules, either they've not been trained at all, or else they're not pursuing the right career.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:41 am

If only some airline had thought about printing out lounge invitations at the same time as boarding cards then BA could just copy such a simple idea......
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Poxball
If only some airline had thought about printing out lounge invitations at the same time as boarding cards then BA could just copy such a simple idea......
I would have thought the most sensible idea would be to programme the computers to recognise that your itinerary gives you lounge access. Then the desk staff wouldn't have to make wrong decisions.

Maybe IT people aren't as smart as they think they are.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Can't they just develop a software and either print out on the BP lounge access eligibility or better still use lounge invitation cards
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would have thought the most sensible idea would be to programme the computers to recognise that your itinerary gives you lounge access. Then the desk staff wouldn't have to make wrong decisions.

Software doesn't appear to be a BA strong point so my idea was that a piece of cardboard might make it easier for the staff. Or train staff. Or print on boarding pass. Or write the rules on the wall. Or indeed employ software.

Alternatively BA could always revert to Plan A - do absolutely nothing.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sigma421
Yes the rules are complicated
Actually, not really at all. They are fairly straightforward and if anyone is uncertain they always know where to ask. I could sort of understand the lounge attendant missing the subtleties of some rules regarding some obscure partner airlines, but frankly, people wanting/needing to enter the domestic lounge for their domestic leg as part of a CE itinerary must be at the very least an hourly occurrence, and the proportion of people wrongly being denied is frankly inexcusable. If I were a BA rep reading this, I would feel highly embarrassed by this recurrent issue on an extremely basic point of the lounge access policy.

PS: Sorry Andryiko, I saw you beat me to it but I had missed your post on an earlier read for some reason!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Poxball
Software doesn't appear to be a BA strong point
Maybe it's the IT people who need more training?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
My girlfriend flew HKG-LHR-NCL last year connecting from CX F to BA domestic and was refused entry to the lounge at Heathrow. They were very rude to her and I told her to go back and state that actually the rules allow her access if connecting from a same day F arrival to a domestic flight but they would have non of it and told her that it is only the departing BP that counts and since she is in domestic class she can jog on. Very poor and very embarrassing for my girlfriend. Especially since she had around 3hr transit

Their job is to know these rules so IMO it is pathetic and they need more training.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, not really at all. They are fairly straightforward and if anyone is uncertain they always know where to ask. I could sort of understand the lounge attendant missing the subtleties of some rules regarding some obscure partner airlines, but frankly, people wanting/needing to enter the domestic lounge for their domestic leg as part of a CE itinerary must be at the very least an hourly occurrence, and the proportion of people wrongly being denied is frankly inexcusable. If I were a BA rep reading this, I would feel highly embarrassed by this recurrent issue on an extremely basic point of the lounge access policy.

PS: Sorry Andryiko, I saw you beat me to it but I had missed your post on an earlier read for some reason!
To clarify a little (although I do take everyone's point) I meant the rules in general in all their Oneworld and partner airlines filled glory. I'd agree that this isn't a particularly difficult one to grasp.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...

Doesn't this already happen?

On other similar threads there are stories of how the computer has said yes only for the human to over-ride this.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
We are focussing on a very edge case here. The only problem I'm aware of occurs for non-status pax in non-premium cabins (i.e. domestic flights), who happen to have arrived in on a premium cabin.

The vast majority of passengers eligible for lounge access have a boarding pass showing a premium cabin, and/or status.

Erm, no it doesn't. It /only/ affects non-frequent travellers, i.e. those without status.
Do you read FT? I've had to tap "GOLD" on my BP a couple times at GF - but they weren't rude about it. To call it an edge case when there are constant posts about it...well....

There is ZERO excuse for being rude to pax, no matter how terrible the passengers may be. People in customer facing positions should be trained (and should have the good sense) to behave properly even when confronted with the most rude of customers.

Maybe the job isn't paying enough for the staff to take that much of an interest in it? Stories like this seem to be an indication that staff turnover might be high.
Not my - or the OPs - problem. BA needs to make the system work.

Last edited by BizFlyin; Sep 17, 2013 at 8:21 am
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
Do you read FT?
I try my best not to .
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I've had to tap "GOLD" on my BP a couple times at GF
Odd. Never once had this.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
My girlfriend flew HKG-LHR-NCL last year connecting from CX F to BA domestic and was refused entry to the lounge at Heathrow. They were very rude to her and I told her to go back and state that actually the rules allow her access if connecting from a same day F arrival to a domestic flight but they would have non of it and told her that it is only the departing BP that counts and since she is in domestic class she can jog on. Very poor and very embarrassing for my girlfriend. Especially since she had around 3hr transit

Their job is to know these rules so IMO it is pathetic and they need more training.
Similar experience a few days back flying AA F connecting to BA CE. I handed the First lounge agent both our AA F and BA CE boarding cards and he immediately directed us to the Business lounge. I pointed out that it was a connecting OneWorld F itinerary; he looked confused, asked his fellow agent who shook her head no, I began pulling out my printed copy of OneWorld lounge access rules and he rolled his eyes and waved us through. It really is an unfortunate way to treat premium passengers, especially when it continues to happen over and over again.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jAAck
Similar experience a few days back flying AA F connecting to BA CE. I handed the First lounge agent both our AA F and BA CE boarding cards and he immediately directed us to the Business lounge. I pointed out that it was a connecting OneWorld F itinerary; he looked confused, asked his fellow agent who shook her head no, I began pulling out my printed copy of OneWorld lounge access rules and he rolled his eyes and waved us through. It really is an unfortunate way to treat premium passengers, especially when it continues to happen over and over again.
U shouldve asked for his/her name and also the supervisor immediately
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Doesn't this already happen?

On other similar threads there are stories of how the computer has said yes only for the human to over-ride this.
Yes it does beep green however I believe that is more to show you have a live BP and eligible status rather than show your itinerary grants you lounge access. Hence why despite showing green you can still get told to get on your bike by the agent.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I was refused access when transferring from CW to domestic in the first few weeks after T5 opened. It was horribly embarrassing. Especially when they call across to other people to verify that this chancer isn't allowed in.

I wonder how many of the "chancers" who are villified on FT for trying to "blag" their way into lounges, are actually customers, who are entitled to use the lounges, being turned away?

BA need to fix this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.