Wiki Posts
Search

Club World Baggage allowance glitch in MMB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Club World Baggage allowance glitch in MMB

So Mrs Philco is bronze & travelling Club World to CUN shortly. In MMB it insists she can (only) take three bags at 23kg each. In "Checked Baggage Allowances" is says 3 bags at 32kg. I called BAEC to double-check and they say MMB is simply wrong and that all Club World pax get the 3 at 32kg allowance except for Golds who get an extra bag.
Is this just a glitch in my wife's booking (she upgraded for Avios from Prem.Econ) or does every Club World passenger see this misinformation in MMB?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Yes, the allowance is shown as 23kg in MMB but it is 32kg for CE/CW/F or GCH/OWE or SCH/OWS in any class.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by philco
So Mrs Philco is bronze & travelling Club World to CUN shortly. In MMB it insists she can (only) take three bags at 23kg each. In "Checked Baggage Allowances" is says 3 bags at 32kg. I called BAEC to double-check and they say MMB is simply wrong and that all Club World pax get the 3 at 32kg allowance except for Golds who get an extra bag.
Is this just a glitch in my wife's booking (she upgraded for Avios from Prem.Econ) or does every Club World passenger see this misinformation in MMB?
The information is technically correct. The allowance is 23kg. However BA allow all passengers in CW and F to take up to 32kg and waive the excess weight charge for the difference between 23kg and 32kg.

My understanding is that BA do this as if the luggage allowance were made 32kg, this would then set that as the amount allowed on mixed airline itineraris on the same ticket where the BA sector determines the allowance for the whole itinerary. BA do not want to do this.

I hope that makes sesne, and I can understand it being confusing!

BTW three 32kg bags is a lot to take for a holiday
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:07 am

It's like that for a reason - your official baggage allowance is indeed just 3 x 23 kgs (so this is what other carriers will let you have if you a connecting flight) but BA will waive the heavy bag charges on their flight, giving you an effective allowance of 3 x 32.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrancisA
The information is technically correct. The allowance is 23kg. However BA allow all passengers in CW and F to take up to 32kg and waive the excess weight charge for the difference between 23kg and 32kg.
I understand that BA have now raised the allowance to 32kg and the overweight waiver is no longer relevant. The information on the web site reflects this.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrancisA
....BTW three 32kg bags is a lot to take for a holiday
you have no idea how many pairs of shoes she needs! Seriously she thinks the max allowance is a must use figure!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I'm also having this issue. MMB is showing our CW flight JFK-LHR as 3x 23kg and the agent on the phone is insisting 23kg is correct. I'd rather not have to take another suitcase to get down from 27kg but don't want to get stung by an excess baggage charge either.

Does anyone have confirmation that MMB is incorrect?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by alex_b
I'm also having this issue. MMB is showing our CW flight JFK-LHR as 3x 23kg and the agent on the phone is insisting 23kg is correct. I'd rather not have to take another suitcase to get down from 27kg but don't want to get stung by an excess baggage charge either.

Hi,

I have travelled on lots of BA flights with my suitcase in the 26-30kg range and not a word has been said ( they do attach a " heavy" label above 23kg)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by alex_b

See here http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

Club world 3 bags
max 32kg (70lb) each
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA,EK,SPG
Hmmm.... I recently booked a WT+ to DXB and got the same contradicting info when i UuA'd to Club World. I have a connecting flight with QR with a 40kg allowance. I would prefer to take 1 x 32kg rather than 2 pieces if the limit was indeed 23kg per bag
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have travelled on lots of BA flights with my suitcase in the 26-30kg range and not a word has been said ( they do attach a " heavy" label above 23kg)

Regards

TBS
Good news.

Originally Posted by Jenzo
See here http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

Club world 3 bags
max 32kg (70lb) each
I know but MMB and a phone agent both stated 23kg max, hence my confusion/concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.