Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
*** NS&I & HMRC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR 3V USE ***

Introduction 3V cards and Avios
Tesco gives 150 Clubcard point (convertible to 360 Avios/375 Virgin Miles) for every £50 spent on gift cards. These include the 3V 'Internet Shopping' Visa gift cards (which carry no fee) and have the ability to be recycled back into cash or to pay off bills where an Avios earning card is not accepted. To earn the points just purchase in multiples of £50; you combine with other gift cards (e.g. iTunes, Prepay Visa cards (with fee), Nandos etc).

Spending 3V cards
The original loophole of recycling 3V cards via NS&I direct saver accounts appears to have been closed as of 12/12/13. Other potential routes to dispose of cards can be found here, although this list is now out of date and some disposal methods listed are no longer available.

Current Disposal Options
Following the discontinuation of the NS&I loophole the following websites are still accepting payment by 3V and may be an ongoing useful source of 3V spend to collect points:-

Sky (but there are reports of Sky reversing the transactions); Orange/EE; BT; Virgin Media;Talk Talk, topcashback.co.uk (gift cards); PayPal; Highstreet Vouchers; ParentPay, United Utilities, EDF Energy, Scottish Power, Npower, Amazon (via giftcard), VoucherExpress

Purchasing cards at Tesco
It is strongly recommended when purchasing 3V cards at Tesco that a maximum of 4 cards is purchased in any one transaction (and ensure you have all four activation slips before leaving the store) due to the system limitations of Tesco's checkouts giving rise to potentially being charged for cards which haven't activated. Official Tesco advice to stores is for a maximum of 5 cards (although in this scenario no Clubcard points would be earned on the fifth card). Store policy on how many cards you can take away in one visit is variable although in an unknown store it is wise not to immediately draw too much attention to your activity - if staff are happy to proceed then you can always build to larger quantities before they decline to sell you more.

Non-Tesco 3V outlets
3V cards can also be found in Morrisons, Boots & Homebase. With Morrisons usually having large quantities, sometimes in excess of 100 cards per store and the offer of 1p off of every litre of fuel for every £10 spent makes this is a very good alternative if you're having problems locating stock at Tesco.
Print Wikipost

3V cards | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by needroos
Which app are you using to scan and email?
I use one of these

Can beep in 100 cards in about 200 seconds

Well today was very successful - give or take, I've earnt about 37,000 miles from Tesco 3V cards, and I didn't even take half of the stock!!

Massive shout out to my local informant too!

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Well today was very successful - give or take, I've earnt about 37,000 miles from Tesco 3V cards, and I didn't even take half of the stock!!
Nice. Obviously this is a hobby I need to get into.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Caciucco
Just to confirm to Pazza, my 3V transaction has now registered on the NSandI site. No confirmation email but payment has gone through fine.
Thanks, how long did it take?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
I was rather lucky on Saturday that I had a panic attack and changed Clubcards for the last batch as would have gone way over the 30,000 points per quarter!

Now, where is that conversion bonus.... I will obviously be able to find 2 F redemptions to SYD!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I use one of these

Can beep in 100 cards in about 200 seconds
Be curious to know what your strategy with the pin codes is. Do you note them immediately after, or only enter them as you copy and paste your card number to 3V's site?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Steve Oh, feel free to PM me where you left the half stock as I see your location is Heathrow? ;-)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by nearlyheadlessian
Be curious to know what your strategy with the pin codes is. Do you note them immediately after, or only enter them as you copy and paste your card number to 3V's site?
I scan the card number into cell A1, pin into A2, blank line A3
B1 has a formula trimming the scanned digits to the required ones

Then activate them all at once, numbering them as I go into the blank lines when each one is done. This works as a double check for number of cards as well allowing me to return to the exact one if I am interrupted.

Activated Visa numbers go into a different spreadsheet.

Once all of that batch (es) is done, this spreadsheet's column A is cleared, ready for the next round.

With this method, I am able to do them very quickly, with checks for each stage to ensure I do not miss any cards.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Steve, how many CC accounts do you have?
With a 30k per quarter limit and from what you have gained recently, surely you must have more than 5? How exactly do you go about that?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by sinizter
I scan the card number into cell A1, pin into A2, blank line A3
B1 has a formula trimming the scanned digits to the required ones

Then activate them all at once, numbering them as I go into the blank lines when each one is done. This works as a double check for number of cards as well allowing me to return to the exact one if I am interrupted.

Activated Visa numbers go into a different spreadsheet.

Once all of that batch (es) is done, this spreadsheet's column A is cleared, ready for the next round.

With this method, I am able to do them very quickly, with checks for each stage to ensure I do not miss any cards.
Roughly what I'm doing, but with a little more thought and structure. Most interested in streamlining pin codes, as they're the most fallible bit (relying on my eyesight and memory).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by TomK81
Steve Oh, feel free to PM me where you left the half stock as I see your location is Heathrow? ;-)
Heathrow is where I work - today is a R/D

Scan them all first, then Mrs S scratches off the panel and I enter the 6 digit code next to the 3V number, then copy from excel into 3V site and type the 6 digit number - I position my windows so I have 3V and Excel open together.

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
Steve, how many CC accounts do you have?
With a 30k per quarter limit and from what you have gained recently, surely you must have more than 5? How exactly do you go about that?
Actually only had 10,000 in my account to start with, so this will take it up to 21,000 ish.
But Mrs S and I have an account each.

Some of the cards I acquired recently were from Morrisons, in fact I think about 250 were from Morrisons.

Originally Posted by yellow_peril
I was rather lucky on Saturday that I had a panic attack and changed Clubcards for the last batch as would have gone way over the 30,000 points per quarter!

Now, where is that conversion bonus
.... I will obviously be able to find 2 F redemptions to SYD!

That's what I'm waiting for - Virgin or BA, I don't care which.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 11, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:13 am

Scan them all first, then Mrs S scratches off the panel and I enter the 6 digit code next to the 3V number, then copy from excel into 3V site and type the 6 digit number
So you're keeping them in a stack in order of scanning so that they're correct. I might try this as an alternative (assuming Mrs N can be brought in on the act). Working on my own, I've been scratching the panels first, then scanning each card and entering the pin, before scanning the next. Clearly organisation is the name of the game.

I position my windows so I have 3V and Excel open together.
Yup, doing that. Suspect that my short-term "what did that 6 digit number actually say?" memory isn't quite as good as yours

I suppose the real question is, does anyone bother removing the glue from the back of the cards? (Or have a foolproof way of ensuring the glue stays on the packaging when removing the card?)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:19 am

So you're keeping them in a stack in order of scanning so that they're correct. I might try this as an alternative (assuming Mrs N can be brought in on the act). Working on my own, I've been scratching the panels first, then scanning each card and entering the pin, before scanning the next. Clearly organisation is the name of the game.

Yup, doing that. Suspect that my short-term "what did that 6 digit number actually say?" memory isn't quite as good as yours

I suppose the real question is, does anyone bother removing the glue from the back of the cards? (Or have a foolproof way of ensuring the glue stays on the packaging when removing the card?)
Nope with the glue, but if you're stacking cards it's useful to keep them together
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:28 am

So you're keeping them in a stack in order of scanning so that they're correct. I might try this as an alternative (assuming Mrs N can be brought in on the act).
I bribe my wife with the promise of lots of RFS flights and upgrades to Upper Class

And yes, I keep them in piles of 10 or 20 so that if they do fall over it's not too difficult to find out which card the 6 digit number belongs too.

I've kept almost all of mine still on the cardboard

The ones from Morrisons all come off easily leaving the glue on the card, which is strange cos Tesco is the opposite
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
I bribe my wife with the promise of lots of RFS flights and upgrades to Upper Class

And yes, I keep them in piles of 10 or 20 so that if they do fall over it's not too difficult to find out which card the 6 digit number belongs too.

I've kept almost all of mine still on the cardboard

The ones from Morrisons all come off easily leaving the glue on the card, which is strange cos Tesco is the opposite
If you have a look at the date in the bottom right of the back of the card you can see when they were made. The older ones have a full length line of yellowing glue that comes off very easily now, the newer ones have the two blobs which are very sticky....
Found the oldest card I have seen for ages in a Boots in ****** this weekend so hope they remember to restock in the area.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by yellow_peril
If you have a look at the date in the bottom right of the back of the card you can see when they were made. The older ones have a full length line of yellowing glue that comes off very easily now, the newer ones have the two blobs which are very sticky....
Found the oldest card I have seen for ages in a Boots in ****** this weekend so hope they remember to restock in the area.
This weekend I had new in Boots and old in Morrisons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.