Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
*** NS&I & HMRC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR 3V USE ***

Introduction 3V cards and Avios
Tesco gives 150 Clubcard point (convertible to 360 Avios/375 Virgin Miles) for every £50 spent on gift cards. These include the 3V 'Internet Shopping' Visa gift cards (which carry no fee) and have the ability to be recycled back into cash or to pay off bills where an Avios earning card is not accepted. To earn the points just purchase in multiples of £50; you combine with other gift cards (e.g. iTunes, Prepay Visa cards (with fee), Nandos etc).

Spending 3V cards
The original loophole of recycling 3V cards via NS&I direct saver accounts appears to have been closed as of 12/12/13. Other potential routes to dispose of cards can be found here, although this list is now out of date and some disposal methods listed are no longer available.

Current Disposal Options
Following the discontinuation of the NS&I loophole the following websites are still accepting payment by 3V and may be an ongoing useful source of 3V spend to collect points:-

Sky (but there are reports of Sky reversing the transactions); Orange/EE; BT; Virgin Media;Talk Talk, topcashback.co.uk (gift cards); PayPal; Highstreet Vouchers; ParentPay, United Utilities, EDF Energy, Scottish Power, Npower, Amazon (via giftcard), VoucherExpress

Purchasing cards at Tesco
It is strongly recommended when purchasing 3V cards at Tesco that a maximum of 4 cards is purchased in any one transaction (and ensure you have all four activation slips before leaving the store) due to the system limitations of Tesco's checkouts giving rise to potentially being charged for cards which haven't activated. Official Tesco advice to stores is for a maximum of 5 cards (although in this scenario no Clubcard points would be earned on the fifth card). Store policy on how many cards you can take away in one visit is variable although in an unknown store it is wise not to immediately draw too much attention to your activity - if staff are happy to proceed then you can always build to larger quantities before they decline to sell you more.

Non-Tesco 3V outlets
3V cards can also be found in Morrisons, Boots & Homebase. With Morrisons usually having large quantities, sometimes in excess of 100 cards per store and the offer of 1p off of every litre of fuel for every £10 spent makes this is a very good alternative if you're having problems locating stock at Tesco.
Print Wikipost

3V cards | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Barcode Scanner 4.6

The official Android app of the open source ZXing project:
http://code.google.com/p/zxing

Free with no ads on it and did the job. I am still waiting for my broadband to be installed at my country retreat so the emailing works for me at the moment.
Ah very cool! Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:47 am

Yep, had this a couple of times, though not recently, it will all come out in the nightly reconciliation by NS&I and should show on your account tomorrow. I rang them the first time it happened and they were not at all worried by it.
As of now, it has yet to credit, although it is not yet 24hrs which was advised over the phone. Will check again tonight, holding off from applying any more until it is has appeared. Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by pazza2000
As of now, it has yet to credit, although it is not yet 24hrs which was advised over the phone. Will check again tonight, holding off from applying any more until it is has appeared. Thanks
If for any reason it doesn't credit to NSI, it will reappear on your 3V card anyway, so no harm done.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 21H21J
How many other accounts can you churn 3V back into cash? It might not be a scam, but it's a loophole we'd all like to stay open.
I do take your point, and I am a benificiary so like you I am keen not to get this withdrawn either. Although I think if they are not happy due to the volume of transactions then they will withdraw the visa desposit completely or exclude those visa numbers regardless.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:50 am

So then we move over to HMRC
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by KARFA
... then they will withdraw the visa desposit completely or exclude those visa numbers regardless.
I'm sure you can't use a 'real' Visa card anyway, if you can my Hilton account is in for a sudden boost.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
I'm sure you can't use a 'real' Visa card anyway, if you can my Hilton account is in for a sudden boost.
You can use a "real" Visa Debit card, that is just your normal cashcard for your bank account. The 3V visa is a pre-paid visa debit card with no credit facilities.

You cannot use any credit cards to deposit into NS&I.

Ed
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can use a visa debit card, made my initial £5 deposit using one. I presume they can exclude the 3V numbers if they wished and still leave the normal visa debit cards working. Digits two through six represent the number of the issuing bank (Raphaels in this case) so perhaps they would just exclude all Raphaels bank cards.

Not tried a visa cc though, although as you say probably unlikely, and it would be counted as a cash advance rather than spend I imagine even if it worked.

EDIT: thanks for confirming that you can't do cc deposits yellow_peril.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Will have to diversify and add in a few trips to morrisons for what seems like almost free fuel if the spend is high enough!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can use a "real" Visa Debit card, that is just your normal cashcard for your bank account. The 3V visa is a pre-paid visa debit card with no credit facilities.

You cannot use any credit cards to deposit into NS&I.

Ed
Have you tried? I haven't, but I find that MasterCard credit cards are usually accepted as though they are debit cards on sites that charge for credit cards.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I haven't got my ns&i login details to hand to check but can you deposit by paypal into ns&i?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
Just to confirm to Pazza, my 3V transaction has now registered on the NSandI site. No confirmation email but payment has gone through fine.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TomK81
I haven't got my ns&i login details to hand to check but can you deposit by paypal into ns&i?
No PayPal option for NS&I but a credit card would probably show as a cash advance so be charged and also appears on your credit report (though don't know if it affects your actual score).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
can anyone recommend an ios bar code scanning app that doesn't require a pc/laptop in addition?

Last edited by GadgetGal; Dec 10, 2013 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal
can anyone recommend an ios bar code scanning app that doesn't require a pc/laptop in addition?
Maybe iCody? Haven't tried it myself but looks promising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.