Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
*** NS&I & HMRC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR 3V USE ***

Introduction 3V cards and Avios
Tesco gives 150 Clubcard point (convertible to 360 Avios/375 Virgin Miles) for every £50 spent on gift cards. These include the 3V 'Internet Shopping' Visa gift cards (which carry no fee) and have the ability to be recycled back into cash or to pay off bills where an Avios earning card is not accepted. To earn the points just purchase in multiples of £50; you combine with other gift cards (e.g. iTunes, Prepay Visa cards (with fee), Nandos etc).

Spending 3V cards
The original loophole of recycling 3V cards via NS&I direct saver accounts appears to have been closed as of 12/12/13. Other potential routes to dispose of cards can be found here, although this list is now out of date and some disposal methods listed are no longer available.

Current Disposal Options
Following the discontinuation of the NS&I loophole the following websites are still accepting payment by 3V and may be an ongoing useful source of 3V spend to collect points:-

Sky (but there are reports of Sky reversing the transactions); Orange/EE; BT; Virgin Media;Talk Talk, topcashback.co.uk (gift cards); PayPal; Highstreet Vouchers; ParentPay, United Utilities, EDF Energy, Scottish Power, Npower, Amazon (via giftcard), VoucherExpress

Purchasing cards at Tesco
It is strongly recommended when purchasing 3V cards at Tesco that a maximum of 4 cards is purchased in any one transaction (and ensure you have all four activation slips before leaving the store) due to the system limitations of Tesco's checkouts giving rise to potentially being charged for cards which haven't activated. Official Tesco advice to stores is for a maximum of 5 cards (although in this scenario no Clubcard points would be earned on the fifth card). Store policy on how many cards you can take away in one visit is variable although in an unknown store it is wise not to immediately draw too much attention to your activity - if staff are happy to proceed then you can always build to larger quantities before they decline to sell you more.

Non-Tesco 3V outlets
3V cards can also be found in Morrisons, Boots & Homebase. With Morrisons usually having large quantities, sometimes in excess of 100 cards per store and the offer of 1p off of every litre of fuel for every £10 spent makes this is a very good alternative if you're having problems locating stock at Tesco.
Print Wikipost

3V cards | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Yep, they work fine. Comes up as "Clubcard Points Coupon" and 1000 points for ten cards, each above £20.
Then the normal 750 for 5 x £50 gift cards.
So, does the cashier need scan the voucher once for this to work?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
You can add Marks Farm, Braintree to the list.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
You can add Marks Farm, Braintree to the list.
For some reason that location doesn't appear in the Homebase website store list, hence it wasn't checked. Strange.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Oh apologies thats a Tesco
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:51 pm

There is a possibility that a stock check could also be performed for Tesco. It looks like their iOS app used to do a stock check by scanning a bar code, but it was removed from the latest version!

Edit: It looks like the 'salesmans journey' algorithm I learned at A level Computing might finally come in useful...
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
Been up to some internet voodoo...

As of COP 1/12/2013, the Homebase 3V stock situation looks like this. Fill your boots.....
You've missed out the 2 London ones I''be visiting today, so just wanted to say thanks, cos now I know nobody else will have beaten me to them ^
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
You've missed out the 2 London ones I''be visiting today, so just wanted to say thanks, cos now I know nobody else will have beaten me to them ^
My script seemed to fail on stores in town names that exist more than once in the United Kingdom (Bangor was one example I spotted). Needs some refining.

I'll run it again tonight and see how much stock remains I might even stick it on a Google map if there's an easy way to load the data via Google Spreadsheets or something.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
My script seemed to fail on stores in town names that exist more than once in the United Kingdom (Bangor was one example I spotted). Needs some refining.

I'll run it again tonight and see how much stock remains I might even stick it on a Google map if there's an easy way to load the data via Google Spreadsheets or something.
No no, I'm quite glad you missed them
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Can I write a smug message now!
Tesco Metro near Mum's, 10 x 3v cards, very switched on assistant who totalled after each card then was happy to do quantity x10 and scan the magazine coupon, boom 1750 clubcard points!
What coupon is this please for the 1000 points? Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by TomK81
What coupon is this please for the 1000 points? Thanks.
Coupon in the latest tesco mag(with turkey on front) 100pts when spend £20 on gift cards
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Bought another 6 just now and tore 6 vouchers out of the mags. Waste of paper as I just throw the mags away afterwards. Shame they can't scan 1 coupon 6 times (apparently need to put them in the till drawer even though they've got the same barcode)
Anyway, 1150 easy points + shopping.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by vanilla8
Coupon in the latest tesco mag(with turkey on front) 100pts when spend £20 on gift cards
I cannot believe I have missed this after putting through £2k of 3V this week!

Will be getting some of those mags tonight that's for sure!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:43 am

87 3V cards total today

Lots of beeping for me to do Wednesday night.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
87 3V cards total today

Lots of beeping for me to do Wednesday night.
Very nice! Was that from Tescos?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by TomK81
Very nice! Was that from Tescos?
Sadly not - but at least I've now got 2,175 MR points and £1.70 off every litre of fuel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.