Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used the London-CDG/AMS bus to avoid APD on BA flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was tempted by the idea.
I think it was Megabus or National Express operate bus services from London Victoria to CDG and AMS.
If I am ever in London and a CDG-LHR-XXX or AMS-LHR-XXX is cheaper than the LHR-XXX and has no APD when paying with miles it seems like a good idea.

Anybody done this?

I also know of someone who uses U2 from LTN to get to CDG and AMS and return to avoid APD. The cost of the U2 flight is about the same as saved APD but he says he gets an extra flight out of it. Good idea.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
People regularly fly there first, spend a few hours/ a night and continue with the proper trip, say AMS-LHR-SIN for much less in F/J due to taxes and the more competitive indirect fares.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Jenzo
People regularly fly there first, spend a few hours/ a night and continue with the proper trip, say AMS-LHR-SIN for much less in F/J due to taxes and the more competitive indirect fares.
I've done it by Eurobar a few times, the savings have to be good over £500 ofor me to do it. It'd need to be over £3k for me to go to PAris by bus!

In my younger days I would have done it no doubt. When I was more time rich and cash poor. As I get older it seems to be moving the otherway.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizban
In my younger days I would have done it no doubt. When I was more time rich and cash poor. As I get older it seems to be moving the otherway.
Know the feeling!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

taking a bus for that length of time to save paying GBP13 in APD ; would not even contemplate it
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
LGW - AMS is about £300 in J which is pretty good for the tier points (£3.75).

Combine that with a 400-point TATL run and you're nearly into silver.

I'd not take the bus as you might as well spend the time on the bus in Y and save the cash, though I'd be perfectly happy to fly Y if not looking for tier points.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
taking a bus for that length of time to save paying GBP13 in APD ; would not even contemplate it
If you were flying to New York you would save £65. If you were flying to Sydney you would save £92. If you were a family of 3 or 4 you make huge savings.

I think you misunderstood the question.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
But the saving is on the APD of the longer flight so can be many hundreds not £13.

The real comparison I agree the cost of the bus v that of the train v that of the short haul flight
v the savng of flying from Europe v how much you value your time v how much you can afford!

Simple really
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
LGW - AMS is about £300 in J which is pretty good for the tier points (£3.75).

Combine that with a 400-point TATL run and you're nearly into silver.

I'd not take the bus as you might as well spend the time on the bus in Y and save the cash, though I'd be perfectly happy to fly Y if not looking for tier points.
I suppose it does not have to be BA. It could be U2 from LTN, STN or LGW.
A U2 LGW-AMS one way can be as low as £26 if you book at the right time.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:55 am

Just returned from LHR yesterday via BHD and then BFS. Cost @ 3000 Avios and 30 GBP RFS. APD savings by leaving BFS in J as opposed to LHR - about 100 GBP. Returned from the Open Championship in July via AMS. Hopped over on KL.

My friends and I often book our return from the UK from DUB. Flying to DUB with Avios and having another night plus round of golf is basically the same cost as the APD from LHR so why not.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allergictocoach
Just returned from LHR yesterday via BHD and then BFS. Cost @ 3000 Avios and 30 GBP RFS. APD savings by leaving BFS in J as opposed to LHR - about 100 GBP. Returned from the Open Championship in July via AMS. Hopped over on KL.

My friends and I often book our return from the UK from DUB. Flying to DUB with Avios and having another night plus round of golf is basically the same cost as the APD from LHR so why not.
Very clever. I have though about Northern Ireland as well but not got round to it. There is a daily ABZ-BHD with BE but its quite expensive so I have considered ABZ-LHR-BHD on BA.
How did you get from BHD to BFS? Is the transfer expensive cause its quite a distance?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But the saving is on the APD of the longer flight so can be many hundreds not £13.
)
That is irrelevent to how one gets to AMS or CDG though

The question was whether one would take a bus to save APD

The cheapest fare from London to Amsterdam is GBP49 ; the saving by taking the bus would not make it close to worthwhile to me
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
There's a triple-whammy to saving on fares originating from nearby continental cities:
- no APD, a big advantage on CW or F fares
- usually lower fuel surcharge, no explanation for this, but it is so
- lower base fares, especially in CW

However, do compare as the difference varies based on both destination and origin. Don't automatically assume it must be so or stay so.

Currently ex-BRU wins for most destinations. The best way there is the £69 Eurostar in under 2 hours from St.Pancras. Savings of £££, a nice dinner in Brussels before beginning your main journey as well as the extra tier points all help.

Of course, all these arguments are only valid if you have both time and the inclination.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

The real comparison I agree the cost of the bus v that of the train v that of the short haul flight
v the savng of flying from Europe v how much you value your time v how much you can afford!

Simple really
You left out flight frequency - considering ex-BRU, ex-LUX, ex-DUS or ex-FRA at the moment. Ex-FRA probably wins as a few more fallback options if positioning flight goes tech - though a few hours in BRU via Eurostar has some notional appeal, I find the area around the station very depressing...
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Not for BA - but i've flown from CDG to Thailand and back into LHR on Qatar. It had the double benefit of sometimes 'losing' YQ!

Last time I booked a seperate BA LHR-CDG one way for about £60 a head and got a cheap airport hotel (ended up with only 2 hours instead of planned 6 as CDG lost our stroller).

Over the 4 of us the savings vs QR to and from LHR inc. the o/w BA sector was about £800 - the difference between going and not going.

A future triple benefit is BA Miles on QR

However I did notice that CDG has a TGV station you can reach from St Pancras via Lille (so no need to traipse across Paris) for about £30 o/w. That I will try and do in future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.