Wiki Posts
Search

Westminster to T5?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Westminster to T5?

Mods, if you think this needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum please do so.

My request is for advice on the best way to get from the City to T5.

On a Thursday in Sept I have a 9.30am appt (lasting about an hour) near Westminster Abbey, and a 2pm departure from T5 (BA 287).

My options seem to be from Westminster tube station :

1) D&C tube to sth kensington & change for picadilly tube to T5
2) jubilee to baker st, change to bakerloo or D&C to paddington and then HEX
3) circle line to paddington and then HEX

(The cost of HEX is not an issue.)

Which of these do those more knowledgeable than me think would be the best (least stressful, most efficient and quickest)? It's the transfers which I'm wondering about...

I will have a backpack and a rollaboard and I have normal mobility (for a 50 yo!).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Medicus

Last edited by medicus; Aug 28, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reason: clearer title needed
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by medicus
1) D&C tube to sth kensington & change for picadilly tube to T5
2) jubilee to baker st, change to bakerloo or D&C to paddington and then HEX
3) circle line to paddington and then HEX
Definitely option 2. The reason being is that Jubilee and Bakerloo lines at Baker Street are almost next to each other, there is a short connecting corridor, so the usual interchange hassle is close to zero there.

Having said that, option 1 is a lot cheaper, especially with an Oyster, and though it feels tedious it's not much slower than option 2.

The other option I would vaguely consider at the weekends or late at night is a taxi to Paddington from Westminster Abbey.

I allow at least 90 minutes from Westminster to T5 departure time, bearing in mind that with hand luggage you need to be at the start of security 35 minutes before departure, 21 minutes for HEX, allow a worst case scenario of just missing a HEX on a 15 minute service interval, 15 minutes for the tube.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:13 pm
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Outside of rush hour I find a private car transfer the easiest and as quick as messing around withe the underground, especially with luggage. Just google Heathrow car transfer to get list of companies. Have found Hummingbird to be reliable.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I would go option 1 as has been said earlier while the HEX is quick... it is not that much quicker if you are not at Paddington

If you get a District line train I would change at Baron's Court or Hammersmith rather than South Ken... Transfer across platform.

If Circle line train then change either South Ken of Gloucester Road..
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:55 pm

We did a journey by minicab from Tower Hill to T5 on Tuesday at lunchtime-ish, 2 pax, fare was £38, journey time 50 mins.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
We did a journey by minicab from Tower Hill to T5 on Tuesday at lunchtime-ish, 2 pax, fare was £38, journey time 50 mins.
That's pretty good value IMHO; taxi definitely makes sense if there is more than 1 travelling given the cost of the HEX. It takes 22 minutes to get from Tower Hill to South Ken on the tube alone, so that was a quick run.

I take it that was a fixed fare. Did you book the cab - which company did you use?

Probably makes sense in the summer when traffic is light.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:41 am

I do Westminster (road behind abbey) to t3 regularly. I either pre book a car at about £40 or do jubilee to green park and then tube. I have gone to paddington by both taxi and tube and then hex but in my experience it is the longest way.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Probably not the done thing here, but bus 159, leaves every 6 minutes. Direct to Paddington station from Westminster. Takes 35 minutes.

Bus stop A from Parliament Street. Sit upstairs and have a free tour of London

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...nster-2298.pdf
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
If it were me, I'd probably cab it to a Piccadilly line station (Green Park, or any you fancy) and take the tube from there. Minimise traffic headaches and interchanges in one fell swoop.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Arsey00
If it were me, I'd probably cab it to a Piccadilly line station (Green Park, or any you fancy) and take the tube from there. Minimise traffic headaches and interchanges in one fell swoop.
But from Westminster it's surely easier to just take the Jubilee to Green park - it's the next stop IIRC
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If your bags not too heav, youj're mobile, and it's a nice day, you could also walk to Green Park Station (through St James Park and Green Park) and tube from there. If you're heading to Paddington to the HEX, I second the suggestion of the bus - I find it more direct and less hassle then the tube between those destinations. I regularly do Pimlico to T5 by cab, and at that time of day would expect it to be a 40 min trip, and I'd add on an extra 5 mins from Westminster.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
You'll do option 1 in about an hour (double check TFL site) - I go from southwark in just over an hour, 2 stops before Westminster on jubilee line)

If your appointment finishes at 10.30 / 11.00 that seems plenty of time for a 2 pm departure
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
My vote would be;

District line from Westminster, changing at Hammersmith to the Piccadilly line.

Once you get on the tube at Westminster you only ever need to cross over platforms so there is no traipsing up and down stairs.

(Note: you might need to change trains at Earls Court as well, check the destination of the District line train. This still involves no stairs and you stay on the same pair of platforms).

It should take 45 minutes to an hour.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:35 am

option 1 my vote. i regularly use this route for work and its an easy journey
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by BOH
But from Westminster it's surely easier to just take the Jubilee to Green park - it's the next stop IIRC
It is 5 min walk to tube (longer if there are lots of brides) . Cabs are easy to get from the small road in front of Methodist central hall- Where tothill road meets storeys gate- it is a cabbie shortcut and so although it looks like the main road is a better bet for cabs it rarely is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.