Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Current MIA immigration queues for BA flight arrivals ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I wondered whether anyone had recent experience of the notorious queues at MIA immigration, and of baggage reclaim times.

I need to book an international / international connection and want to work out how long realistically to allow with a UK passport. Things seem to have been very bad earlier in the year (up the the worst of the T5 fiascos) but have things settled down ?

Also, are there any tips and tricks for positioning oneself for a speedier passage through (as with the trick of queueing next to the diplomatic line at the left hand end of the old immigration hall) ?

Any up to date info and advice appreciated. I realise this is mildly OT, but I am arriving BA and tried initially on the AA forum (where I thought they should know the answers) but did not get much sense.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Went through a couple of days ago arriving from LHR on AA around 5 pm. There were an awful lot of people in the hall and signs blaming federanl cuts for the long delays. In the end I got through in 50 minutes. Not great but I've known it much worse.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I have two domestics leaving MIA mid mornings in the next couple if weeks. Does anyone know what the TSA Security queues/lines are like weekdays at about 0900?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I have two domestics leaving MIA mid mornings in the next couple if weeks. Does anyone know what the TSA Security queues/lines are like weekdays at about 0900?
Are you on AA? If so, did that on Thursday.

Lots of people in line and the Priority Access line wasn't any better than the regular one. Took me about 15 minutes to get through but was fortunate that Andriy Schevchenko happened to be behind me in the queue and was very chatty about all things football. To be honest, I wish the line had been longer! He was a charming and very interesting chap.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
15 minutes or less landside to airside, assuming you have AA PriorityAccess. Enter the D concourse at the AA First end (the section furthest from E). The later in the morning you leave it, the quieter it gets. You can't use Flagship check-in unless you are on a trans-continental flight in First and there are 3 classes offered, they have their own fast, fast track!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ZB Gold
2 weeks ago, the queue was about 60/75 minutes on the BA flight. If you're doing an international-international connection, and fly into MIA on BA metal, there's no need to pick up your luggage - it's through checked. On the return, if you're flying AA, you need to collect before going through Customs and then drop-off again.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL + CCR), Star* G, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Have done the BA209 four times over the last 6 weeks. It has been hit and miss. First two times I spend +1h in immigratioin queue. The last two I was in my rental car (with the checked baggage) in less than 1h after touchdown.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Are you on AA? If so, did that on Thursday.

Lots of people in line and the Priority Access line wasn't any better than the regular one. Took me about 15 minutes to get through but was fortunate that Andriy Schevchenko happened to be behind me in the queue and was very chatty about all things football. To be honest, I wish the line had been longer! He was a charming and very interesting chap.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
15 minutes or less landside to airside, assuming you have AA PriorityAccess. Enter the D concourse at the AA First end (the section furthest from E). The later in the morning you leave it, the quieter it gets. You can't use Flagship check-in unless you are on a trans-continental flight in First and there are 3 classes offered, they have their own fast, fast track!
Many thanks for this. Very helpful.

Yes, I am flying on AA (but in First to LAS) so Flagship Service not available to me on this trip.

The last two trips flying from MIA domestically (January and April) took 35 and 50 minutes respectively to clear TSA screening - there were more people in the Priority AAccess lane than the normal channel, so I joined the regular travellers!

15 mins isn't too bad, I'll get there a couple hours before to be sure.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:07 pm

Just off the 209 Sunday at 1725 local,

Shortest queues I have ever seen here. Waited 5 minutes max.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I'm on the 209 in a couple of weeks.

Any more recent experiences of the queues ?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tangey

Greetings from MIA airport. Today is good-ish, and the staff say it has recently been a bit better than normal (it probably helps that all the staff are getting paid, but that's another matter). I would suggest you mentally prepare for one hour and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Loads of unused Global Entry machines, so if you are eligible....
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:26 pm

Greetings from MIA airport. Today is good-ish, and the staff say it has recently been a bit better than normal (it probably helps that all the staff are getting paid, but that's another matter). I would suggest you mentally prepare for one hour and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for the on-site report. I'd be happy enough with an hour to be honest.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.

Tangey, when are you flying? Our American friends give thanks for something that no one really understands in a few weeks (well its over a month away but just incase!) and flying during that week, especially Mia, can be a nightmare (unless you have GE, I got GE purely for Mia and even if I only ever use it once more it was worth it!). The couple of weeks before tends to be quiet (even though it is the foreigner line you are interested in), the week of and after is usually chaotic. Best advice is keep an eye out on the aa board here - they have a specific thread for Miami airport lines, and if you check here (http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/) you can see how lines have been moving with a week or so delay. Although how they measure it....well, it gives you a good general idea as it has corresponded more or less (I.e. obviously quick or painfully long wait) to my own experiences.

Last edited by jcm9000; Oct 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Quote:

Amazing. You're such a helpful ambassador to this board that I wouldn't be overly surprised if you flew to MIA just to check out immigration queues
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Tangey, when are you flying? Our American friends give thanks for something that no one really understands in a few weeks (well its over a month away but just incase!) and flying during that week, especially Mia, can be a nightmare (unless you have GE, I got GE purely for Mia and even if I only ever use it once more it was worth it!). The couple of weeks before tends to be quiet (even though it is the foreigner line you are interested in), the week of and after is usually chaotic. Best advice is keep an eye out on the aa board here - they have a specific thread for Miami airport lines, and if you check here (http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/) you can see how lines have been moving with a week or so delay. Although how they measure it....well, it gives you a good general idea as it has corresponded more or less (I.e. obviously quick or painfully long wait) to my own experiences.
Thanks for your input. I'm in on the 8th, out on the 16th, so will be missing that week. Initially I was in on that week, but had to change as I couldn't get a MIA-CUN award out. Will watch the AA board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.