Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Annual depression is here - Tier point reset

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annual depression is here - Tier point reset

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Double avios would be the biggest benefit for you.

if you travel in cw&f and only make silver you arent a frequent flyer.
I can live with the opprobrium

Will happily renew Silver (and then some) by next May ... At which point I will be chucking more money at BA, again.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
660 to zero yesterday. But made silver. Beginning to question it's value for me though. Only fly tatl in CW or F usually Wt+ aviosed up. So baggage and lounges not an issue. Ever. Rarely take a domestic UK flight which require more than one bag often none, and ican live without the 20 mins in the edi lounge.
Only real advantage is the savings to book the CW seats especially UD but the 747 and 767 is being removed from yyz and replaced with the 777 and 787 metal. So although I'm silver again for next year I may not chase it for the following year. Offers very little benefit when all my travel is in CW and F
You're looking at it wrong, aim for gold If the only times you book a domestic flight is as part of a business class or above longhaul itinerary you get the extra baggage benefits, lounge, etc anyway.

Status can also help when things go wrong. So in your situation, I'd agree, I'd not bother doing a big TP run just to hit silver, but if you're running close at the end of next year and a short trip to Europe would push you over the line then go for it.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
You know, if you are using the word 'depression' to describe the feeling of losing a bunch of tier points in a frequent flying programme, you actually have a pretty good life.

Just trying to put some perspective to it
Correct. The correct description is: Shock and horror as BA terrorises innocent hardworking, middle class frequent flyers by removing their hard earned points.

More frequent than blueHIDDY
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It was a surprise this morning when I logged in to book a flight, for the last 5 months I've seen "You have earned all the Gold Guest List Benefits available". This morning my 5 figure TP balance is now "0" and now it says "To retain Gold Guest List membership you need: 3000 Tier Points".

Let the fun begin again!

I start my next trip on Monday, that will get me to Gold within 15 days of reset!
How do you manage this if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a generous yet slave driving employer? Is it all leisure? I imagine you as a lottery winner, jet setting around the world every week in F
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
It was a surprise this morning when I logged in to book a flight, for the last 5 months I've seen "You have earned all the Gold Guest List Benefits available". This morning my 5 figure TP balance is now "0" and now it says "To retain Gold Guest List membership you need: 3000 Tier Points".

Let the fun begin again!

I start my next trip on Monday, that will get me to Gold within 15 days of reset!
That's pretty quick. CCR secured by the end of Sep?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by layz
More frequent than blueHIDDY
I know someone whose dog flies more frequently than me.

The mutt knows nothing about miles collecting though.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by olybeast
How do you manage this if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a generous yet slave driving employer? Is it all leisure? I imagine you as a lottery winner, jet setting around the world every week in F
I can tell you if I was a lottery winner I wouldn't be flying anywhere near as much!

I have two jobs, both of which require me to travel. Essentially I'm a lawyer in private practice and CEO of a telecommunications company, of which I am the majority shareholder.

This week's (12 day) schedule takes me MAN LHR MAD MXP LHR JFK MIA LAS LAX LAS MIA LAS JFK DCA/IAD LHR FRA LHR MAN. Typically I'd cross the Atlantic 4 to 6 times a month (2 or 3 RTs) with a couple of US domestics on each trip.

We recently bought a home in Las Vegas in the hope I can cut out a few transatlantic trips. The kids are 17 and 19 now so mum and I can spend more time away - although the now 17 year old Jnr Tobias will join me for much of this trip (he'll be just be a couple hundred TPs short of renewing Gold himself).

With the Vegas home I hope it offers the opportunity to enjoy a few extra travel free and rest days ... and a great place for the family to catch up with some quality R&R in the school holidays.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This week's (12 day) schedule takes me MAN LHR MAD MXP LHR JFK MIA LAS LAX LAS MIA LAS JFK DCA/IAD LHR FRA LHR MAN. Typically I'd cross the Atlantic 4 to 6 times a month (2 or 3 RTs) with a couple of US domestics on each trip.
I think I need a rest after looking at that. With all the paid travel do you have time to use your Avios?

Now, can CWS beat that?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Stizzack
"From Hero to Zero"

Anybody else get down about this annual event?

Have a 380 TPer till Dominican in a couple weeks to ease the pain
I'm a little down about this Not likely to get CCR again this year but GGL has become a must

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K

Thanks paulwuk. I'm certainly not a frequent flyer. I'm a cross the Atlantic 3 maybe 4 times a year. Usually in CW sometimes in F on Avios
Mostly paid WT+ Avios used to get CW... Usually one trip in F on a 2:4:1
Most trips (3-4 per year) involve a visit to edi to see the offspring and most a trip to a European country we have seen before. Vast considered the bonus miles for being silver and for the last 3-4 years we made silver on 3 TATL trips paid WT+ with a trip from LHR locally
Now WT+ gets 90 points and a domestic 10 it's essentially 3 TATLs a year to be silver so even for a "non frequent flyer" like me it's quite doable but next year might be my last as my offspring may not be there
As I said the main benefit of free seat selection as a silver on 3 TATLs for me and mrs acs is 6 CW seats and that's $600 plus the UD on the 747 which is soon not going to be on the YYZ run anyway and as bronze we can pick a week out and that's likely good enough.
If I were a frequent flyer from YYZ I'd be gold easily
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K

Thanks paulwuk. I'm certainly not a frequent flyer. I'm a cross the Atlantic 3 maybe 4 times a year. Usually in CW sometimes in F on Avios
Mostly paid WT+ Avios used to get CW... Usually one trip in F on a 2:4:1
Most trips (3-4 per year) involve a visit to edi to see the offspring and most a trip to a European country we have seen before. Havent considered the bonus miles for being silver and for the last 3-4 years we made silver on 3 TATL trips paid WT+Avios to CW, with a trip from LHR locally
Now WT+ gets 90 points and a domestic 10 it's essentially 3 TATLs a year to be silver so even for a "non frequent flyer" like me it's quite doable but next year might be my last as my offspring may not be there
As I said the main benefit of free seat selection as a silver on 3 TATLs for me and mrs acs is 6 CW seats and that's $600 plus the UD on the 747 which is soon not going to be on the YYZ run anyway and as bronze we can pick a week out and that's likely good enough.
If I were a frequent flyer from YYZ I'd be gold easily
Gold doesn't really add much to my travel benefits.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:06 am

Cancel and reapply for BAEC to reset member end year?

Hi
I joined BAEC a few years ago but have never actively used my membership - consequently Avios =0 and TP =0.
However, having started my BAEC education (with many thanks to this forum and its wonderful contributors!!) I am now armed with a fresh attitude and some pointers on making my travels work for me.
I have 4-5 long haul BA flights booked/planned in the next 12mths (CW&WT) that judging by the BA calculator will actually propel me to Silver status (about 620TPs) - but the old year end slap bang in the middle of it spoils that vision in moments
Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel your membership and reapply so that you member year is reset?
Many thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome Charlie74

Originally Posted by Charlie74
Hi
And hello Charlie74. Welcome on board, though it looks like you have been here a while! Welcome to Flyertalk and to the British Airways board, it's great to see you here. Please stick around and join in. And thank you for your question.

Unfortunately it is, as far as I can tell, a complete "no-no" to change the date of your BAEC year, it just won't happen. You could of course close your account and re-open it under a different set of details, but that's against the terms and conditions, and would in any case result in you losing existing balances.

You can extend your year by 2 weeks, by ringing up afterwards, but I think it is worth pointing out that you may end up constantly shifting the goal posts - whatever you try to do to bring forward future travel eventually pushes them out of the following membership year.

If you find yourself enjoying the benefits of BA membership then I'm sure you will pick up the tips here to get the extra TPs to go Silver, either with or without a awayday to Grand Cayman! But in your shoes I'd be thinking about trying to get a few POUGs and AUPs now. I think you are doing the right thing - looking at the horizon rather than trying to fix 300 TPs in the last 8 days of your membership year.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was never sure whether points earned on the 8th of your year end count for the previous year or the new year?

In other words, if I fly tomorrow will my TP earned count for the new membership year or will be immediately zeroed out?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was never sure whether points earned on the 8th of your year end count for the previous year or the new year?

In other words, if I fly tomorrow will my TP earned count for the new membership year or will be immediately zeroed out?
As far as I'm aware, the points you earn tomorrow count for this status year, not the next one. And, also, thanks for the reminder... your post made me realise that I only have 28 hours left to use up a joker before it expires! Probably have use it on a flight to Paris CDG next Friday given that's the only booking I have that it would be eligible to be used on.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
As far as I'm aware, the points you earn tomorrow count for this status year, not the next one. And, also, thanks for the reminder... your post made me realise that I only have 28 hours left to use up a joker before it expires! Probably have use it on a flight to Paris CDG next Friday given that's the only booking I have that it would be eligible to be used on.
Jokers can be used on any flights through EOS. Surely you can find a use for it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.