Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Enhancements to Avios booking functionality on ba.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements to Avios booking functionality on ba.com

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
After the change, ba.com is not showing availability of Japan domestic awards.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks promising. ^

For some reason I've never been able to book hotels online using Avios....and some LAN routes are still not recognised by the search tool.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:52 am

Try scanning quickly through a lot of flight options and trying to spot which options are "available" and "not available" ... the usability isn't that brilliant
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
When I seen the title I expected real enhancements in the true FlyerTalk sense of the word.

- The booking engine could be enhanced to work only during designated meal times, as feedback has shown people are too busy working at other times to be booking flights.
- Outside of these times ba.com should show where you can get a delicious afternoon tea offering.
- Even when there's multiple options available only one will be offered in order to avoid confusion (we'll call it the ready salted experience), after a few months an additional option will be made available but no longer the full range of choices.

On a serious note, good work! There's a number of improvements that I've been hoping for. I do get nervous when I see the 'E' word though.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
+1 for the ability to book open jaws
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kats
After the change, ba.com is not showing availability of Japan domestic awards.
I didn't think it did before the change either? See this thread.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by KARFA
I didn't think it did before the change either? See this thread.
ba.com always had problems with some airports in japan such as HIJ, KIJ, SDJ, etc. There was no problem with more busy routes like HND-CTS, HND-ITM until today. I hope they fix the problem soon.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm sure that it would be most helpful for Nicci to know our feedback on what has been done, rather than re-hashing yet again the long wishlist which I'm sure we all agree with.

On the current (new) interface: Without wishing to sound ungrateful for the improvements, I do find myself missing the facility to see only availability (or not) in the specific cabin in which I'm interested. For example, if I'm looking for a Club award seat, it is a little frustrating to have to wade through page after page of dates on which there is WT+ availability but nothing else.

There are two obvious ways of dealing with this. The first is to have an option for seeing only the cabin you've selected on the search screen. But I know that this probably introduces a layer of complexity that BA would want to avoid.

So I wonder whether a better compromise might be to restrict the cabins displayed to two: the cabin searched for and the one above?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm sure that it would be most helpful for Nicci to know our feedback on what has been done, rather than re-hashing yet again the long wishlist which I'm sure we all agree with.
Yes but it would helpful if they'd fix the old faults first before bringing out new ones.

I'm no IT person but even I can see that ba.com lacks in certain areas compared to the competition.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are two obvious ways of dealing with this. The first is to have an option for seeing only the cabin you've selected on the search screen. But I know that this probably introduces a layer of complexity that BA would want to avoid.

So I wonder whether a better compromise might be to restrict the cabins displayed to two: the cabin searched for and the one above?
I wouldn't be against making the class dropdown show the minimum class selected, plus two above it. That would make it similar to the functionality for paid flights.

As most of my reward bookings are reward flight savers these changes are welcome. Although I prefer CE, I'd be happy to fly ET if there's only availability in that cabin.

If I was booking long haul then economy is not great value so I'd not care about the availability in that cabin, it would normally be CW or above.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kats
ba.com always had problems with some airports in japan such as HIJ, KIJ, SDJ, etc. There was no problem with more busy routes like HND-CTS, HND-ITM until today. I hope they fix the problem soon.
Yes, I have been using ba.com to book JL flights. Today I couldn't see any availability on HND-FUK or NRT-FUK. I phoned up and was told there was no availability. I explained that couldn't be the case as until yesterday there had been availabiltiy for the next six months and it can't suddenly have all been booked up!
The agent replied "Please hold for a minute" 2 mintues later "Yes, there is availability"
I'm now on hold while they finalise the booking
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:41 am

Thanks Nicci. With no doubt BA award booking is best out there by far ^
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Wow, sounds promising.
Real improvement while others cut benefits.
Thanks for letting us know!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by GavT_london
Doesnt seem to display properly on latest version of chrome - the cabin/avail is all squashed up and loads over each other so you cant see it properly or easily select
Not displaying correctly on iOS Safari either. Same issue.

Enhanced functionality good if the view can be fixed.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Not displaying correctly on iOS Safari either. Same issue.

Enhanced functionality good if the view can be fixed.
Similar story with Internet Explorer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.