Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight crashes into gate at AMS today (2 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by brutha
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Yes extraordinary circumstances.

Shouldn't it be reasonable to expect the pilot to look where he was going?
Has it been confirmed as pilot error?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:04 am

It did seem to be the consensus of those I spoke to at the airport, but of course this was just their opinion, and it wasn't anyone really in a position to know!

For sure the plane overshot all the yellow markers, I have a photo showing that... But as to why, I have no idea!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:14 am

It did seem to be the consensus of those I spoke to at the airport, but of course this was just their opinion, and it wasn't anyone really in a position to know!

For sure the plane overshot all the yellow markers, I have a photo showing that... But as to why, I have no idea!
The Pilot cannot see the yellow markers.That's why they have a guidance system.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:52 am

Just in case anyone was disappointed that FT hadn't turned up anyone who was actually on board then I have to confess to having been on yesterday's BA428.

The incident itself was fairly uneventful. We were hardly moving; there was a bit of a clattering noise and the plane came to a halt, but no more violently than if we'd just stopped on the brakes at the expected position at the gate.

There was a short delay in turning off the seatbelt signs and then an announcement from the flight deck to say that the "brakes had failed" as we'd pulled on to the stand. After some delay we disembarked via steps at the rear and all had the chance to walk past the left wing to enter the terminal. I'm sure there are plenty more photos out there - the one linked to on Twitter isn't a great angle.

The cabin crew flew back to LHR on the 1140 departure which was itself delayed for a while due to weather-related air traffic restrictions.

Last edited by 328; Aug 3, 2013 at 8:24 am
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:30 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 328
There was a short delay in turning off the seatbelt signs and then an announcement from the flight deck to say that the "brakes had failed" as we'd pulled on to the stand.
I don't believe for one second that was the real cause
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I don't believe for one second that was the real cause
Could you care to elaborate given your obvious expertise?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:10 am

The reason for asking is that it would have a bearing on exception circumstances. My reply to your original question was simply factual in that it is a possible reason why EU compensation would not be payable.

I an however surprised that you were not offered an alternative flight as the incident occurred in the morning rather than late evening.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:36 am

I an however surprised that you were not offered an alternative flight as the incident occurred in the morning rather than late evening.
I live in one of the more remote parts of the UK - we don't have hourly flights from Heathrow sadly

BA were fine as to rebooking and hotel provision and so on, no complaint from my side on that. They got me back to the UK yesterday, just the last connection couldn't be done on the same day.

BTW, understood re: reason for asking , I can see the point as to whether it was under BA's control or not.

Break failure makes sense - from what I can make out, I guess my chances of compensation will depend on whether that was down to BA maintenance or the component itself. Does anyone know if it will be possible to find out? Or do they keep these things quiet?

BTW, on a side note: whilst reading up on this, it seems that "late arrival of inbound aircraft" can be considered an "extraordinary circumstance" (this is just a page on the net, don't know how trustworthy!) - perhaps this is why they still insist on giving this silly excuse in other cases!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Most airlines will claim that anything that causes them to delay or cancel a flight is an "extraordinary circumstance".

Whether human error/negligence/guidance system failure/brake failure is "extraordinary" or not, it should not be a valid excuse to deny you compensation.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.

Anyone know the reg of the plane? Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FLT001
Anyone know the reg of the plane? Thanks.
See post 24.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I was on the AMS superb terrace when this incident happened although due to the vicinity of the gate was unable to view the event. When the aircraft was towed around to D90 I observed what appeared to be a horizontal dent/scratch on the skin above the door. I have a pic of the aircraft although quite difficult to spot the damage..(still figuring how to upload pics on this site!)
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:52 am

Quote:

I live in one of the more remote parts of the UK - we don't have hourly flights from Heathrow sadly
!
Ah, I understand now, I think the BA definition of remote part of the UK is "not London".
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, I understand now, I think the BA definition of remote part of the UK is "not London".
You're new here, aren't you!

London Airways is, to a large extent, a reasonable epithet.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Quote:

You're new here, aren't you!

London Airways is, to a large extent, a reasonable epithet.
If I was that new, I wouldn't point out the errant use of an exclamation mark in place of a question mark.

BTW have you got rid of the flies yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.