Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: LHR - YYZ (F) - (lots of cycling) - YYZ - LHR (F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: LHR - YYZ (F) - (lots of cycling) - YYZ - LHR (F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:35 pm

Thanks for posting your tr. I enjoyed the report and the all the comments that followed it. About old vs new first. Sometimes old is better!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by halfcape
Sometimes old is better!
AA flight attendants are absolutely brilliant. Bruce Forsyth's grandmother works for them!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by layz
AA flight attendants are absolutely brilliant. Bruce Forsyth's grandmother works for them!
Actually on LH and LX which are always lauded for their F class and deservedly so the flight attendants tend to be senior and also very good at their job. On North American airlines you tend to get the impression that some of them are really doing you a favour when you ask for something.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:03 pm

Great TR, weather looks nice too. i remember talking to you about the upcoming trip during the London do. Brompton should sponsor you
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Actually on LH and LX which are always lauded for their F class and deservedly so the flight attendants tend to be senior and also very good at their job. On North American airlines you tend to get the impression that some of them are really doing you a favour when you ask for something.
I was quite lucky with my geriatric AA crew. They were actually superb, the hard product was terrible (the old business class seats - on a 757), but the service itself was what I'd call first class. Similar levels of attentiveness as I got on my first BA F trip (and I thought that was superb).

I guess with an old crew you get those who still love their job and can offer excellent service, but on the other hand some are just counting down the days to retirement.

Whether 18 (or 16, whatever the youngest crew are) or 88 it's the service that counts. Although I do admit when I seen the senior crew member I did think that must be Bruce Forsyth's grandmother I might take the (urine soaked) biscuit sometimes but I wouldn't really pre-judge a crew on their age.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by layz
I guess with an old crew you get those who still love their job and can offer excellent service, but on the other hand some are just counting down the days to retirement.
Almost all AA cabin crew have 20 years plus service. AA simply hasn't needed, or been able, to recruit until quite recently. The very few vacancies were filled by staff internally redeployed from other parts of the airline. That changed a couple of months back, and I've already had my first new cabin crew on AA - which was something of a shock for me, I have to say. Quite a number of AA cabin crew are in their 70s and I gather a few are in their 80s.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Polomarc
Great TR, weather looks nice too. i remember talking to you about the upcoming trip during the London do. Brompton should sponsor you
That's a good idea, I will be doing the London to Windsor charity ride in September, again on the Brompton. I missed the London to Oxford this year as I was too busy working and not enough time to train for it.

I'll get some sponsors then and see if Brompton will be willing to donate; although I am sure there is a cult of long distance Brompton riders out there who put my methods to shame.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Late to the game, but just came across this TR. Fantastic. As others have said, impressed to see this on a Brompton folding bike.

Thanks for posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.