Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet more 2 for 1 advice required please?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Yet more 2 for 1 advice required please?

I've been very happy with myself because I managed to secure an outbound 2-4-1 F flight to Sao Paulo next year, in June.

I've been watching return availability closely, and thanks to the KVS tool became aware at midnight last night that suitable return availability had been released.

So I booked two Avios reward seats immediately online, as I thought they would soon get snapped up and I might miss my chance.

I'm delighted with what I have.

But I thought I would be able to have the return flights "adopted" into the original booking. The bookings have different reference numbers.

I called BA tonight and asked for that to be done (I expected to have half my Avios returned), but I was advised that it couldn't be done.

So, its taken a little bit of the shine off things (although I'm still happy with the flights)

In effect I now have outbound 2-4-1 which is probably breaking some rules, because I thought a return was a condition of the voucher, and two return flights that I have paid full Avios value for.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of these circumstances please?

I do intend to try calling again on Monday morning to speak to a different person, but would welcome any FT knowledge
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Oh whiskerxx! You just needed to call and have the returns added to the original 2-4-1 booking.

What I suggest is you keep an eye out for some more returns appearing. If they do you can call, add the returns to the 2-4-1 and cancel the extra flights you have just booked for a full refund.

There are many more experienced folks here, so maybe someone else will have a better idea... Good luck!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:12 pm

Ps using a 2-4-1 one way is fine, don't worry about that
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You were advised correctly. Your one way 241 won't be a problem despite the written rules but if you want to add a return you need to call when there is availability. That doesn't mean booking the availability to then merge bookings.

You might have got an agent who didn't know how to add the return? But if you've take all the availability you either need to stick with what you have, or cancel the return and hope the seats become available then rebook them. That is taking a chance as they may not reappear, but at this time I think I would take the risk (cancel it at a time when the call centre is open!).

If you are cancelling the return within 24hrs they should waive the canx fee.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:17 pm

The information you have been given is correct. Had you been able to call BA when the availability was released then the inbound fights could have been added to your existing outbound reservation. Sadly as the phone lines are not open at that time it was clearly not an option. The agent you spoke you might have offered to cancel the inbound flights and quickly tried to add them to your existing booking....this requires pretty nimble keyboard skills and would be entirely at your risk as there is never any guarantee that the seats would be re released as Avios .
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. There appears to be a consensus building, but if anyone else has had a different experience please post.

The bottom line is that I am delighted to be flying First to Brazil 2 days before the World Cup starts and First back at a time that is quite ideal to us, all for the price of £608 each plus Avios, and still have flexibility to change our minds!

I probably will send a polite letter to somebody (any suggestions?) just outlining that it seems a tad ridiculous that you can't add the inbound to the outbound booking online, or have it "adopted" as I had hoped. I guess there will be a good technical reason, but it can hardly be one that is customer driven.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:22 am

I have had exactly the same experience, I booked the outbound with the 2-4-1 and then booked the inbound on a separate booking. I made the call to get them merged in to the 2-4-1 but they cannot do it. So we had to cancel the inbound and hope that the seats came back, they did but sometimes they do not.

I have a 2-4-1 in F booked to Rio around the same time and was very surprised that the seats were available. Have you looked at returning from Rio? I have just seen 2x F seats GIG-LHR on 17th June and 1st July ! you could do an open jaw and add this to the 2-4-1, don't wait until Mon ring today.

Last edited by easterisland; Jul 27, 2013 at 3:36 am
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by easterisland
I have had exactly the same experience, I booked the outbound with the 2-4-1 and then booked the inbound on a separate booking. I made the call to get them merged in to the 2-4-1 but they cannot do it. So we had to cancel the inbound and hope that the seats came back, they did but sometimes they do not.

I have a 2-4-1 in F booked to Rio around the same time and was very surprised that the seats were available. Have you looked at returning from Rio? I have just seen 2x F seats GIG-LHR on 17th June and 1st July ! you could do an open jaw and add this to the 2-4-1, don't wait until Mon ring today.

Just read your post - 7 hours after you posted it.
30 seconds of blind panic followed!!

I then composed myself and called BA, and booked the 1st July flights from Rio as part of the 2 4 1! How pleased am I !

I love FlyerTalk!

and easterisland, I'm afraid I love you too!!

I'd be happy to meet up in Rio and buy you a very large cold drink!! Many thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:42 am

I just love a happy ending !

We will have to put the beer on hold as we will have departed Rio by the time you arrive.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
This thread makes me happy, one FTer helping another FTer getting top seats
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: BA G, AC*G, PC P, Marriot Plat, Carlson Gold etc....
This thread is v helpful.

So just to be clear. I book my outbound flights with my 2 4 1 and then when availability comes on line for the in-bound I give BA a call and ask them to add to booking?

If I wanted to use 2 4 1 and upgrade for 2 at the same time would it still work?

Just gearing myself up for booking next years school hols....
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by whiskerxx

Just read your post - 7 hours after you posted it.
30 seconds of blind panic followed!!

I then composed myself and called BA, and booked the 1st July flights from Rio as part of the 2 4 1! How pleased am I !

I love FlyerTalk!

and easterisland, I'm afraid I love you too!!

I'd be happy to meet up in Rio and buy you a very large cold drink!! Many thanks.
^ Great news have a fantastic time. I'm off to Patagonia over Christmas in CW on a 2-4-1 thanks to flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.