Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Any views on A380 CW for the longer passenger? In the 777 the rear facing seats in the last row of CW allow your feet to protrude several inches beyond the end of the footstool. Is there a similar seat(s) on the 380? I flew to HKG last week in 50J which I shall certainly avoid going forward!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Just come in on the BA26 from HKG in 53A. I can concur with the above, it's pretty decent. Hardly any noise between the meal services and got a few hours kip with ear plugs in.

The only problem, and it's my fault really, was the squeeze to get out - I need a smaller belly! Preferred it to stepping over/on a stranger though.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:43 am

Just come off the A380 in F, seat 2K. My impression are that rows 2 and 3 are the best in the cabin.

1A/K are exceptionally private however the wardrobe next to 1K was being used by crew and there was a steady stream through the flight of crew members opening it to get things out. Add to that it is right next to the toilets, although only F passengers or crew on way to/from the flight deck would ever be in that area.

I think Row 4 would be the major one to avoid. Right next to the very large galley and there seemed to be plenty of activity there throughout the night.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
I have recently taken two flights in 53K: LHR-HKG-LHR. On the outbound flight there was no issue with noise and I slept perfectly well. Last night, however, the galley chat was very loud in the middle of the night which ruined my sleep and then about 90 minutes before the breakfast service (just after I had managed to get back to sleep), the crew started banging around drawers and trolleys. I was using my own ear plugs (ridiculous that BA no longer supply these) along with head phones and the noise was still intrusive. I have never had this issue on any flight previously and I don't believe that I should be required to wear noise cancelling head phones on top of ear plugs to get a good sleep. The crew just need to be quieter!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by phol
Just come off the A380 in F, seat 2K. My impression are that rows 2 and 3 are the best in the cabin.

1A/K are exceptionally private however the wardrobe next to 1K was being used by crew and there was a steady stream through the flight of crew members opening it to get things out. Add to that it is right next to the toilets, although only F passengers or crew on way to/from the flight deck would ever be in that area.

I think Row 4 would be the major one to avoid. Right next to the very large galley and there seemed to be plenty of activity there throughout the night.
I would agree with this, Mrs LoM and I did 2k and 3k out to LAX a couple if weeks ago and I thought we had chosen well. I think I would be happy with 1k if travelling alone. 2k does overlook 2F though.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I would agree with this, Mrs LoM and I did 2k and 3k out to LAX a couple if weeks ago and I thought we had chosen well. I think I would be happy with 1k if travelling alone. 2k does overlook 2F though.
Are there any benefits to the K seats compared with the A seats?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Corpt
Two things I noticed.

1. The entrance to the flight deck is very slightly offset to the A side. Thus, crew going to and from the front tended to go down the left aisle.
2. The front locker on the K side (right by 1K) was being used by crew frequently throughout the flight. I couldn't see if the other side was being used though - maybe someone else can comment.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Corpt
Everything is on the right side if you are right handed.

Typically the K side tends to get less foot traffic too in my experience on most BA aircraft. I didn't see any other glaring reason.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Had 53A on a recent LAX-LHR. the seat is nicely tucked away, and I had a great sleep, but two things that stood out, especially when compared to UD of 747 on my return leg:
- CW Seat shell seems considerably smaller that other CW seats, and in the upright/landing position I was pressed to get my shoulders within the walls of the shell,
- gap to enter seat, behind 53B, seems narrower than other similar CW seats on other planes. Admittedly I am large-framed/XXL, but I actually had to breathe in and squeeze myself through each time.

I'd choose UD on 747 anyday over A380.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
... so which seats should I choose?

My wife any I hope to be flying from London to Johannesburg in May with my elderly mother. We shall be flying in First, on the new A380.

Ideally, we would put my mother in row 2/3 A/K and we would sit in the middle seats 2/3 EF. The problem is that rows 2/3 A/K are all taken on the day we wish to fly. With row 1 reserved for Golds that leaves us with row 4, which is supposedly noisy.

So, given that the two of us would be in 2/3 EF, should we book 4A/K for my mother, or one of the middle seats E or F? She usually prefers a window seat, but if row 4 is that bad I am sure we could persuade her to take row 2 (which might be easier for her as it is nearer the toilets).

So far, for the return flight we wish to take the whole caqbin is free, so I juist hope it remains so for a few more days ...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Remember that it is possible, almost probable, that some booked on your flight will alter their plans....

So pick what looks best and check to see if other options open up.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Remember that it is possible, almost probable, that some booked on your flight will alter their plans....

So pick what looks best and check to see if other options open up.
Yes, I was going to do that. But what would 'look best' assuming nothing changes? One of the middle seats in rows 2/3 or 4A/K?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by mikebg
Yes, I was going to do that. But what would 'look best' assuming nothing changes? One of the middle seats in rows 2/3 or 4A/K?
Personally, I would suggest taking 2A or 2K for your mother. Its a lovely seat and will be free of any noise or bumps, etc...so she will have a good flight.

4A or 4K might be okay but why risk it. Chances are higher to hear noise or get some light pollution and cabin crew moving about from galley to stairs, etc...

Also, if she is already in 2A or 2K then you have a good chance to be near her when T-24 hours arrives due to people cancelling or moving to row 1 (or yourselves moving there)...

The big thing to realise is that the A380 F seats are pretty well isolated from people looking across or in to the 'suite' so even if you were in 2 E/F you would have to really crane your necks to see 2A or 2K or talk to someone sat across an aisle...you'll likely find it easier to simply get up and walk over/back/forward.

I suspect people will try to move to row 1 or 2 so get what you can in row 2 now and then try to seat within 1 row of her on that side now or when people move to row 1 at T-24.

Hope that helps, have a great trip, should be fantastic. ^

Last edited by BotB; Jan 19, 2014 at 3:04 am
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:53 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
So, there I was all set to post my thoughts on seat 53A after everything I read on here and I find myself instead reviewing 1K

A very private seat and I thought it was excellent. The wardrobe was a bit of a non-issue as it was only used a couple of times for staff to change shoes. I just find it odd that the "big bogs" are upstairs and the little usual sized bogs are downstairs for F pax. I just nipped over the rope and up the stairs to change, just thought it odd.

Great flight and back on the 777 in 2K, now that seat I am not convinced, but this is a 380 thread, so will leave it there.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
I recently flew out to HKG in 50B (other half in 50A). I found it too busy and noisy for my liking with passengers queuing for the toilets. For some reason, the people on my flight were incapable of parting the curtains in the middle too, so there was a lot of light getting in from people trying to separate the curtain from the snap fastner (which the crew left open but I closed after a while). Someone even tried to sit on my legs at one point.

On the return, we switched to 51D and E. I was in E, which I loved. So quiet and private (apart from the snoring. So much snoring!). Other half much preferred 51D too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.