Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think 51AB are generally regarded as the better CW seats ( if you like windows) for the A380. I have had some noise at 53A from the galley but it was not too bad. ( I generally go for 51A or K if available ( travelling on my own)
Thanks -- that's my logic and I think we'll probably be fine for our flight
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by psgkdm
Hi there, flying in Y to and from Chicago on the A380 in a few weeks with an infant. Can anyone recommend which bassinet seat to go for? All are open at the moment.

Considering 70E or F or 80E or F on the upper deck (although they're in the middle of the row so may not be best for a solo traveller?). Otherwise considering 35A or 35K on the lower deck. These are window seats so might be better for a solo traveller?

Any tips would be gratefully received.
You might want to look back a few pages - I asked a similar question back in December. I decided on 35 A/C for my wife, son (who will be 10 months old when we travel), and me for flights in May. If traveling solo, you might want to take one of the E/F bassinet seats so that only one person would have to move to let you and your infant out rather than two (we booked A/C with the hopes that no one would reserve the B seat).

I'll report back here in May after we've taken our flights.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
You might want to look back a few pages - I asked a similar question back in December. I decided on 35 A/C for my wife, son (who will be 10 months old when we travel), and me for flights in May. If traveling solo, you might want to take one of the E/F bassinet seats so that only one person would have to move to let you and your infant out rather than two (we booked A/C with the hopes that no one would reserve the B seat).

I'll report back here in May after we've taken our flights.
​​​​​​​Thank you. That's a good point about stepping over one person versus in E/F middle versus two in the A/K. I have 35A reserved at the moment and noticed that the system then automatically blocks 35B/C. Clearly they're unlikely to stay blocked.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by psgkdm
Thank you. That's a good point about stepping over one person versus in E/F middle versus two in the A/K. I have 35A reserved at the moment and noticed that the system then automatically blocks 35B/C. Clearly they're unlikely to stay blocked.
I think they'll stay blocked until T-72, at which point, C will become a hot commodity, and B will become a slightly-less-hot commodity.

​​​​​​​And I don't know if the upper deck or lower deck fills up first, but if you're going the E/F route, you may want to book it on whichever deck doesn't fill up the fastest to maximize the chances of having an empty seat next to you (the downside to E/F is being in a middle seat).
psgkdm likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Hi,

Ive been reading this very useful thread but admittedly not all of it. Going by the wiki 2EF is the best couple seats in F however my MMB says it's rows 1,2 & 3? Not 2,3 &4 as per the wiki.

In J gone for 53JK to replicate the 747 UD sweet spot 64JK.

Any help with the F question appreciated, I imagine it's just a BA app "feature"
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
... Ive been reading this very useful thread but admittedly not all of it. Going by the wiki 2EF is the best couple seats in F however my MMB says it's rows 1,2 & 3? Not 2,3 &4 as per the wiki.
Yes, probably an app glitch. MMB on the web is definitely rows 2, 3 and 4 for E & F. Regardless, I think you want the front E & F row, but I'd check on the web to make sure you have the right seats.

rb211.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:50 pm

Just checked on the app and for me E & F are rows 2, 3 and 4.

rb211.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Here it is
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

Edited

Last edited by dansound; Jul 5, 2022 at 4:38 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
[Sorry this is a general comment and not a reply to immediately preceding question]

I just got back from a mixed itinerary in which the outbound LHR-HKG and inbound SIN-LHR were in CW on the 380.

Just a quick +1 from me for 51A or K. It was perfectly quiet, no issues with service, and for a long flight the UD bathrooms are very generous in size (and spotless), plus as the staircase is roped off at the bottom rather than the top, you have the full run of them for a bit of stretching should you be so inclined, and I saw a few other people doing so (the SIN-LHR leg was 13h due to Pakistan airspace divert!). I must admit the leg-hopping doesn't bother me, so the balance of row 53 aisle access vs. galley noise is something for other people to worry about.

When going for "best seats" something not often mentioned here is North/South orientation and sunlight. North-facing means you avoid direct low sunlight which makes it easier (for self plus seat neighbours) to at least partially open the blinds when you want to, which I do during destination daytime for jetlag reasons. 51A outbound to HKG and 51K inbound from SIN worked well for this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am BA gold and we are traveling as A family of three (child is 3 yrs old) which row is best in center for a family in CW ?

Flying from SFO on the night flight

More legroom and less noise is desired, currently holding the center three in row 51 DEF any better suggestions ?

does row 56 have more legroom?

Last edited by navatwal; Apr 2, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Any tips on seats for 3 in CW? 51 or 56?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
A380.... where should I sit? Club World, ,,, Business

I will be flying in the A380 for the first time this Saturday to London. I am very excited. i have never flown in a 380 nor British Airways Club World.

Upper Deck?
Lower Deck?
Window facing back?
Aisle facing forward?

The facing back is kind of weird but i dont know what that experience is like.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There are two very good threads on this where you can find some recent opinions

Seating Queries: Club World
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
There are very good threads as shown above (thanks Mikeyfly) but basically:

- Upper Deck, window facing back

Facing backwards you only notice when taking off and landing and actually I find it much easier for sleeping as the plane's nose is slightly pitched up in flight.

Also, if you can get the front upper deck cabin, then you get to use the enormous bathrooms
VSLover and feysul like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.