Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA connecting flights at Heathrow T5: never again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA connecting flights at Heathrow T5: never again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by PETER01
Welcome to Flyertalk Heavyman ^

There is some very useful information in the sticky if you haven't already had a look at it and very much worth a read.

Basically the post by layz says it all re your flight.

Good luck (don't dilly dally!) and I am sure you will be fine. Please post back if you can to let folks how you get on.

Pete
Thanks Pete. On layz's advice, I have packed a change of clothes into my hand luggage just in case my bags don't arrive LOS.

Be on the lookout for the guy zipping through LHR tomorrow .....
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
If they published what you should really factor in for MCT @LHR T5 it would not look like an attractive option versus connecting at airports like AMS,MUC and ZRH.
A couple of months ago, I arrived on a delayed MAN-AMS flight connecting to MSP. With an effective 25 minute connection I made the flight and so did my luggage.

Last year with 55 minutes at T5 off a delayed MAN flight I made it and my luggage didn't.

Guess which is my preferred route now!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by TPJ
If you fly to/from Schengen via e.g. MUC, there is no security check in either direction (there is a new agreement between EU /or maybe only Schengen states?/ and USA that abolishes transit security checks - it already works in MUC or CPH - very, very convenient).
In all (most?) non-UK EU airports transiting from inbound EU flights is free of re-screening*, as all EU (+Norway, Switzerland, etc) airports are considered "safe" - ie in Germany they can trust that the Finns did their job well in HEL. The UK airports' big issue is that all arrivals are poured in the same pool. Must be rocket science to separate the flows.

These days US origin pax are also considered "safe" and at many airports one can already transit w/o re-screening

*So you can fly MAN-HEL-PEK with no security in HEL, but on return you are sreened there.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In all (most?) non-UK EU airports transiting from inbound EU flights is free of re-screening*, as all EU (+Norway, Switzerland, etc) airports are considered "safe" - ie in Germany they can trust that the Finns did their job well in HEL. The UK airports' big issue is that all arrivals are poured in the same pool. Must be rocket science to separate the flows.

These days US origin pax are also considered "safe" and at many airports one can already transit w/o re-screening

*So you can fly MAN-HEL-PEK with no security in HEL, but on return you are sreened there.
In fairness, I think it's to do with other European airports being set up with Schengen areas (no rescreening) and non-Schengen areas (usually with rescreening).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
In fairness, I think it's to do with other European airports being set up with Schengen areas (no rescreening) and non-Schengen areas (usually with rescreening).
Not really - e.g here at HEL, you arrive from MAN, LHR, OTP to the non-Schengen area but aren't rescreened. You also arrive from SVO, KBP, PEK, NRT, BKK, etc to the non-Schengen area, but are re-screened.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:59 pm

I'm arriving at T5 on a flight from YVR, then have a 1 hr 10 minute connection time before by flight to GLA. It sounds like there's a good chance that I might miss this connection. It looks like BA has LHR-GLA flights every couple of hours. Is it usually pretty easy to get onto the next flight if I miss the connection?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by garryoak
I'm arriving at T5 on a flight from YVR, then have a 1 hr 10 minute connection time before by flight to GLA. It sounds like there's a good chance that I might miss this connection. It looks like BA has LHR-GLA flights every couple of hours. Is it usually pretty easy to get onto the next flight if I miss the connection?
You might make it but I doubt there will be a problem for BA to put you on another GLA flight. It's generally the longhaul connections that are a problem.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, OW Emerald
Update:

My flight from PHL arrived 10mins ahead of schedule, and luckily, there was a stand available for the plane to park. I hurried through the terminal, and again, luckily, my flight to LOS was leaving out of the main terminal. So, I made the flight, with time to spare for some duty free shopping. And my bags made it too.

Can someone explain why passengers who get off a plane in T5 have to go through security to connect to another flight? I have never understood that. I was able to use Fast Track on this occasion, without which I definitely would have missed the connection. The lines were sooooo long.

Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Heavymen
Can someone explain why passengers who get off a plane in T5 have to go through security to connect to another flight? I have never understood that. I was able to use Fast Track on this occasion, without which I definitely would have missed the connection. The lines were sooooo long.
Because funnily enough HMG doesn't believe the security at certain airports (including provincial airports in Greece, Eastern Europe, never mind Africa) to be of quite the same standard as the UK. The USA has a fairly similar point of view. The lines can look horribly long, but it rarely takes more than 20 minutes to clear, even when the queue is out the back. But it's great you made the connection.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Arriving on a Sunday at 3:10pm from AMS.

How long would you expect it to take to get from the plane thru First/Club security to the CCR?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nologic

How long would you expect it to take to get from the plane thru First/Club security to the CCR?
How long is a piece of string?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Because funnily enough HMG doesn't believe the security at certain airports (including provincial airports in Greece, Eastern Europe, never mind Africa) to be of quite the same standard as the UK. The USA has a fairly similar point of view. The lines can look horribly long, but it rarely takes more than 20 minutes to clear, even when the queue is out the back. But it's great you made the connection.
... and apparently also including any other non-UK airport.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Just did a transit in Kuwait and Doha. Both occasion there are security screening. However, no requirement to take any electionics out, no requirement to take belt or anything. The magic part is that the security staff even does not care the beep on the screening door, you just walk free.

In Doha, the security staff is even not looking at the X-ray screen...
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nologic

It depends which stand you arrive at. Anything from about 10 minutes to an hour depending on how busy flight connections and Fast Track security is. Add another 5-10 mins if arriving at B/C gates.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It depends which stand you arrive at. Anything from about 10 minutes to an hour depending on how busy flight connections and Fast Track security is. Add another 5-10 mins if arriving at B/C gates.
I would expect about 10-15 mins, depending on gate location, to deplane and walk to passport control where they check your onward ticket and 10-20 mins at premium security...a poster above indicated that security had become intolerably slow and maybe the airport will be particularly busy at that time...so, I guess it could take a little longer...an hour seems lengthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.