FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Change to Post-Landing Electronics / Phone / Device Use, eff 1 July 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1479218-change-post-landing-electronics-phone-device-use-eff-1-july-2013-a.html)

colmc Jun 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Never noticed it being an issue in the US anytime, and found it quite handy to be able to send an text waiting folks that I'm on not far off meeting them etc.

paulwuk Jun 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Excellent news. Monday morning I was sat on the tarmac at heathrow for about 25 minutes waiting for a gate.

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 20985296)
I am insignificant.

I must buy a mobile phone, so I can switch it on.

I have a dead-tree book, but surely you're delighted you can read your kindle now during the 10 minute taxi?

scnzzz Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm

About time. This having been allowed in the US, on just about any airline, for years hasn't caused any "safety issues" ...and frankly yes, the taxi time at LHR is usually worth at least half a dozen emails.

Crampedin13A Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm

As long as Skype is never allowed on aircraft everything else is cool. Nothing worse than some idiot yelling at his laptop on Skype at full volume in the lounge.

chinatraderjmr Jun 26, 2013 4:33 am

Originally Posted by layz (Post 20984857)
Agreed. What's wrong with waiting a few extra minutes.

Nothing, if there is a good reason for it. (which there is NONE) Do you wait a few extra minutes when getting to the office, getting home, to the park, on a bus??? If there was a real safety reason then I could not agree more but its absolutely ridiculous that you cant turn on a simple mobile device AFTER the plane has landed and is off the runway. If there is NO safety issue and all reports indicate that there is none, it should not bother you.

I find this news ot me that BA is the FIRST airline in Europe to allow this. I have always used my phone after landing on LH and LX (with flight attendant approval) I have never had an FA tell me it was not OK and being an American (where it is already legal to use such devices after landing), I generally would not even think to ask, assuming it would be as legal in Europe as it is in the US. The only reason I ask is because I was told it was a "grey" area where LH group is concerned

SWISSBOBBY Jun 26, 2013 4:56 am

Change to Post-Landing Electronics Use, eff 1 July 2013

The only advantage I can see is that I might have my phone on in time to show my second boarding pass when I arrive a FCC...

CDKing Jun 26, 2013 5:28 am

Its always a shock when traveling on carriers other than the ones in the US i'm used to and finding out you cant turn on your phone until the gate. Seems like such a silly rule. Glad its going away.

heck in the US they are getting close to allowing ipads and such during all phases of flight.

Anfield Jun 26, 2013 7:10 am

British Airways to relax rules on electronic devices

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23063479

Shock, horror! It appears it was never a safety concern. :rolleyes:

Short Final Jun 26, 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Anfield (Post 20992334)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23063479

Shock, horror! It appears it was never a safety concern. :rolleyes:

(1) Yawn, this was already covered in typical FlyerTalk depth days ago.... use the search function next time, or infact in this instance, just look at page one less than a quarter of the way down the page ! :cool:

(2) read the context. The aircraft has landed and vacated the active runway. Very different scenario than using devices on approach or takeoff.

1HourPhoto Jun 26, 2013 7:18 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BizFlyin Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Short Final (Post 20992344)
(1) Yawn, this was already covered in typical FlyerTalk depth days ago.... use the search function next time, or infact in this instance, just look at page one less than a quarter of the way down the page ! :cool:

(2) read the context. The aircraft has landed and vacated the active runway. Very different scenario than using devices on approach or takeoff.

Regarding #2, Not really. Not at all, actually. In the USA, it's about to be allowed during takeoff and landing. I guess when a plane enters American airspace, it's automatically protected.

seanp7 Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am

Excellent news. Works in the US people and most people are respectful (you'll get the odd loud businessman upon landing).

I'm flying on 1 July too, so I'll try this out ;)

Originally Posted by randomflyer (Post 20987636)
....does this mean that now as soon as we leave the runway those who suddenly realize their phones are in their satchels in the overhead are going to unbuckle, stand up and root around in the overhead bin while the aircraft is making its way to the gate?

Can't say I've seen this in the US (but it may happen initially, I suppose). I've heard most airlines say "you may now use your mobile phone as long as it's withing reach, please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened" etc. I think Air Canada and some US airlines also say 30 mins to landing "please stow all personal items, if you wish to use your mobile phone upon landing please retrieve it now" or words to that effect.

Poxball Jun 26, 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Short Final (Post 20992344)

But this was vehemently argued by many as being unsafe in various different ways. Those of us who argued to the contrary were pilloried and now we have the situation that it will be "safe" from Monday. How so?

Edit - understand Short Final will not see my post so will understand the lack of response

windowontheAside Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am

Why do people who are clearly irritated by duplicate threads then increase the time they've wasted by commenting?

Surely the thing to do is just click away and let those who are not exasperated pick up the thread?

hsmall Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Poxball (Post 20992487)
But this was vehemently argued by many as being unsafe in various different ways. Those of us who argued to the contrary were pilloried and now we have the situation that it will be "safe" from Monday. How so?

Edit - understand Short Final will not see my post so will understand the lack of response

indeed. there is a certain amount of quiet satisfaction for me in this announcement. it was self evident that there was no safety concern once the plane had left the landing runway.