Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change to Post-Landing Electronics / Phone / Device Use, eff 1 July 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

British Airways will be the first airline in Europe to allow its customers to switch on their mobile phones and other handheld electronic devices after landing.

Previously, customers have been forced to wait until their aircraft has come to a complete stop and the doors were opened before they could use their iPads, Kindles, eReaders and mobile phones.

Once the aircraft has vacated the runway, cabin crew will make an announcement to customers to let them know they can use their handheld mobile devices.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Change to Post-Landing Electronics Use

Taken from the Intranet News section... Don't personally agree with it, and think it is a big step in the wrong direction. Hey ho...

Change rings in for phone users landing with British Airways

British Airways will be the first airline in Europe to allow its customers to switch on their mobile phones and other handheld electronic devices after landing.

Previously, customers have been forced to wait until their aircraft has come to a complete stop and the doors were opened before they could use their iPads, Kindles, eReaders and mobile phones.

Once the aircraft has vacated the runway, cabin crew will make an announcement to customers to let them know they can use their handheld mobile devices.

But British Airways has now demonstrated to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) that their customers can safely use their handheld electronic devices, once their aircraft vacates the runway.

The approach by British Airways to the CAA was made in response to feedback from the airline’s customers.

Earlier this year, British Airways was the first UK airline to allow customers on long-haul services to watch in-flight entertainment from the moment they board the aircraft to the time it arrives at its destination, following consultation with the CAA.

Ian Pringle, flight training manager, said: “Customers will no longer have the frustration of having to wait until their plane has arrived at the terminal building before being able to use their mobile phones and other handheld electronic devices.

“Now they’ll have that extra time to phone ahead for that important business meeting, check their emails, or make sure someone is there to meet them at the airport.”

British Airways customers will be able to take advantage of the change in policy from July 1, 2013. It will apply to every British Airways flight landing around the world, not just in the UK and Europe.

Customers on departing flights will still need to turn off all their handheld electronic devices when the aircraft leaves the gate, in line with current regulations.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: BA
Excellent news! Always nice to have cleared all the emails out before getting to the gate.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Taken from the Intranet News section... Don't personally agree with it, and think it is a big step in the wrong direction. Hey ho...
Agreed. What's wrong with waiting a few extra minutes.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:35 am

Phones ON after landing

This will please those who can't live without their phone... From July 1st 2013...

"British Airways will be the first airline in Europe to allow its customers to switch on their mobile phones and other handheld electronic devices after landing."
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
This will please those who can't live without their phone... From July 1st 2013...

"British Airways will be the first airline in Europe to allow its customers to switch on their mobile phones and other handheld electronic devices after landing."
So what's the betting some DYKWIAs will be switching on during final approach?

Programs: BA
But I am flying BA on 28 June!

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Excellent news! Always nice to have cleared all the emails out before getting to the gate.
From my own observations it seems that everybody is turning on their blackberries/iphones as soon as the plane has touched down anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Why? If it's not a safety issue, why would it bother you?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
From my own observations it seems that everybody is turning on their blackberries/iphones as soon as the plane has touched down anyway.
Yes - and that assumes they were switched off in the first place.....
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
I think it's a good move - people are used to being able to do so in the US, and allows people to call for pickups when they would otherwise be unable to do so on the underground transits etc.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by economyman
Why? If it's not a safety issue, why would it bother you?
Well it could have be a lot worse had Nokia still been as popular as they once were with their annoying start up tune.

Even so is there really any need to encourage people to be distracted, making calls, etc when they still need to be paying attention and may have to listen to crew announcements?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:48 am

As if the vast majority don't anyway - often I'll forget to use flight safe mode and texts/missed calls start coming in during descent.

Especially with some of the taxi-ing delays that go on, seems a prudent change, much like the IFE.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by Andriyko
That late?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have already started a thread on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.