FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Change to Post-Landing Electronics / Phone / Device Use, eff 1 July 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1479218-change-post-landing-electronics-phone-device-use-eff-1-july-2013-a.html)

Moomba Jun 25, 2013 5:51 am

Oh great cue 'Hi honey we just landed' phone calls like I hear on US airlines. :rolleyes:

Can I help you Jun 25, 2013 5:51 am

Thread already started.

pennineuk Jun 25, 2013 5:52 am

Originally Posted by economyman (Post 20984901)
Why? If it's not a safety issue, why would it bother you?

I've no problem with people texting or listening to voicemail, but I would object to people making calls at a time when there are still often important cabin announcements being made. My US experience is that people are generally quite considerate, but not everybody...probably the same people that talk loudly through safety briefings.

nickerss Jun 25, 2013 5:53 am

Hasn't it been like this in the USA for years? I don't see what the big deal is.

BApilotinsider Jun 25, 2013 5:57 am

The Captain has always had the authority to allow phone use during extended ground delays after landing. I guess this just makes it the norm rather than the exception.

EuropeanPete Jun 25, 2013 6:00 am

I don't really care much nowadays, but it did always seem an anachronism that the FAA had approved post-landing calls in the US but it was too dangerous for to be done on British airlines.

In a previous role I definitely could have done with 5-10 minute (or 20min when on the Polderbahn) advance notice of what chaos was about to hit me as soon as I stepped off the plane, but that's part of the reason why I quit and am now a marginally better balanced human being.

TheSafariMan Jun 25, 2013 6:00 am

I never understood this rule anyway. Not a single American carrier disallows usage of electronics, even cell phones, upon landing, so BA's enforcement of this rule never made sense to me. I've been on plenty of flights touching down in JFK/EWR where cabin crew have scolded someone, or where there were even repeated overhead announcements. I've always ignored it, and that's yet another reason why 62A is my perfect seat...

FlyingNelly Jun 25, 2013 6:03 am

Whilst I understand the comments about still listening to announcements when taxi-ing, I think this could be helpful. There is often a bit of a wait for the doors to open, and if travelling without luggage that's the perfect time to call our contract cab for a pick-up. Saves too much hanging about, for me or the taxis.

Not the end of the world either way though . In fact the only time I've been a bit annoyed by the electronic restriction is not going to change. On quite a few flights we've pushed back from the gate only to sit in a queue/hold on the tarmac for whatever reason and can't use my kindle (last time was 50 minutes). However if the IFE is now going to be on at that point; my boredom will be solved :).

chad3 Jun 25, 2013 6:05 am

Originally Posted by economyman (Post 20984901)
Why? If it's not a safety issue, why would it bother you?

My wife says I have an "indoors voice" and a "mobile phone voice". She (and I'm guessing all my co-passengers) don't want to hear my MPV so out of courtesy and consideration for others, I won't be availing of this offer.
Additionally, personally, I'm not important enough to need to take a call during taxi-ing and the fact that I won't be on the phone is going to prove this to all the far more important people on board - my sense of self esteem is going to take a big knock when all these superior beings look down their noses at me for being too unimportant to have a call to make during taxi.:o

BizFlyin Jun 25, 2013 6:23 am

Guess I better go look up all the threads where people told me I was going to crash the plane by powering on my phone before doors open after landing :P

Kgmm77 Jun 25, 2013 6:27 am

Normally I would say non-event, but I can see this being extremely beneficial when I get to the taxiway at T5 late evening and sit for 20 mins plus waiting for someone to arrive to turn on the stand guidance and/or drive the jetway. Particularly useful when you miss the last tube and are scrambling for options to get home.

This has happened 4 times in the last 6 months.

HighLife Jun 25, 2013 6:36 am

EXCELLENT news.

No desire to speak personally... but helpful to get ahead with a few emails and reply to my driver's texts etc.

Can often be a 10-15 minute period so it will be nice not to have to hide the phone anymore :D

matthandy Jun 25, 2013 6:39 am

A good move. It's been this way on every Australian domestic flight that I've been on over the last three years. No noticeable negative effect apart from bings and bongs from people's phones, you'd have got that at the gate though regardless.

economyman Jun 25, 2013 6:39 am

Originally Posted by chad3 (Post 20984989)
She (and I'm guessing all my co-passengers) don't want to hear my MPV so out of courtesy and consideration for others, I won't be availing of this offer.

Does your MPV extend to email and SMS messages :p :D

Personally, I think this is mostly useful to read emails and messages and respond if needed but there are times where a phone call is mandated as soon as possible and where is could be a while before you would be able to make a call - for example calls are not allowed in the immigration halls at US entry points.

People should always remain concious of those around them and if on the phone speak quietly. The few loud / rude ones shouldn't negatively impact the rules for the majority of passengers.

HIDDY Jun 25, 2013 6:42 am

Originally Posted by chad3 (Post 20984989)
- my sense of self esteem is going to take a big knock when all these superior beings look down their noses at me for being too unimportant to have a call to make during taxi.:o

You can call the wife and tell her it's safe to put the spuds on.