Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pay for Seat Selection on BA international business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay for Seat Selection on BA international business class?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serpens
Infrequent flyer here; my first flight in ten years (and my first flight ever on BA) will be in September.

I have an award trip (thank you, CSR sign-up bonus) for two people in Club World from Heathrow to Newark. If we do not pay for seats, are we unlikely to be able to sit together?

Does the quoted message mean that we could have transferred UR points to Avios and then booked this flight on AA and been able to reserve seats?

Thanks for help with the newbie questions.
If the plane gets very full, it's a possibility - but it's not going to happen tomorrow. Keep an eye on things from a month or so before you travel - you're hugely unlikely not to have a pair of seats then (though getting a specific pair, or guaranteeing a window pair rather than a middle pair will be more difficult). If you get down to a choice of only three pairs, or you specifically want to sit in part of the plane, pay - otherwise you've a reasonable chance of sitting together as long as you check in on the dot of T-24.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Are you likely to get any (Oneworld BA/AA/IB) Frequent Flyer status between now and then?
Nope, fortunate enough to be back working at home, so occasional holidays abroad is it, and nothing planned with BA prior to this trip
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TheCount2

While I now have the PNR, MMB has been unavailable for at least two days, as it continues to error out after two or three minutes.
Hmm sounds like IT issues involved here. It's clearly all very frustrating for you. I would leave it for a bit longer or maybe setup a BA Exec account and try to link the booking to that account, if you haven't done so or maybe others with a bit more understanding of why this isn't working may help...?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
To put a bit of reason behind this, it does mean that status-holders booking close-in have a decent seat selection.
Originally Posted by Knickam
So now you know how much BA values you as a status holder.

They will keep a decent seat for you, But if someone is willing to pay $100, Tough the decent seat is gone.
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Not quite!
If all the available seats that can be selected have been snapped up by people paying the fee, There are still decent seats reserved for status holders,
So can you please explain how the fee is protecting decent seats for status holders?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
If all the available seats that can be selected have been snapped up by people paying the fee, There are still decent seats reserved for status holders,
So can you please explain how the fee is protecting decent seats for status holders?

Based on the frustrations (on FT) of having to pay for a seat, I’m guessing not many people pay the fees. My sister (non BA flyer) was pretty annoyed having to pay for 4 seats in WTP.

So I can see the seat fee as a barrier to keeping decent seats for status holders but my thoughts are based on a small evidence base...FT and family/friends.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I believe there is a combination of controls that in practice keeps those sought after seats free until OLCI opens. A) the pricing tariff is balanced to curb demand, particularly those seats located towards the front of the cabin, and B) judicious seat blocking
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Infrequent flyer here; my first flight in ten years (and my first flight ever on BA) will be in September.

I have an award trip (thank you, CSR sign-up bonus) for two people in Club World from Heathrow to Newark. If we do not pay for seats, are we unlikely to be able to sit together?

Does the quoted message mean that we could have transferred UR points to Avios and then booked this flight on AA and been able to reserve seats?

Thanks for help with the newbie questions.
Six months before your flight? Absolutely no way that anybody can possibly predict whether you will find seats together. That will depend on which seats have been selected by the passengers who book and select seats between now and your flight date. Most of those people don't even know that they may consider flying on that date so can't even call them and ask !
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you, Cymro, for your answer and advice.

Originally Posted by Often1
Six months before your flight? Absolutely no way that anybody can possibly predict whether you will find seats together. That will depend on which seats have been selected by the passengers who book and select seats between now and your flight date. Most of those people don't even know that they may consider flying on that date so can't even call them and ask !
Perhaps I phrased the question poorly. What I was trying to ask was how often a flight from Heathrow to Newark filled to the point that there were no adjacent seats remaining when it became possible to choose seats without a fee. The answer to that question exists, although perhaps no one on FlyerTalk has the answer and is willing to share it. Nonetheless, if I don't ask, it is almost certain that no one will answer it.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Perhaps I phrased the question poorly. What I was trying to ask was how often a flight from Heathrow to Newark filled to the point that there were no adjacent seats remaining when it became possible to choose seats without a fee. The answer to that question exists, although perhaps no one on FlyerTalk has the answer and is willing to share it. Nonetheless, if I don't ask, it is almost certain that no one will answer it.
Indeed we need to get nearer the date to be sure, I wouldn't even bother looking at fare buckets or seating maps at this stage. What we can say is that it is not 90% certain that at least 2 seats together, it's a figure lower than that. It's a figure higher than 10% too. Indeed I would suspect it's between 50% and 90% if I had to choose. They may not be the best seats either. However middle seats often work well for couples, and few single travellers will be aiming for those. with the possible exception of night flights on 787s by the bulkheads.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Which, of course, would presumably come with similarly humiliating warnings for QR (unique lounge access policy), AA (unique policy on the new 'basic' fares, only F trips without food or lounge access, etc), and a few others
AFAIK international partners don't sell "basic" fares for domestic AA flights, just AA does, and they publish precisely the types of warnings that I advocate. As does BA for their HBO fares. And neither cross-sells to the other as a "business fare." You seem to forget we are talking about several thousand dollar minimum business class fares here...

Further, under "flight details" it is almost universally disclosed what meal service is going to be offered (Dinner, lunch, "meal", snack...). Lounge access on international flights of any sort (such as we're discussing here) always include lounge access... so again domestic matters are somewhat irrelevant to the original discussion. Many countries no longer even offer domestic business (apart from the US most I travel do NOT) so that's another red herring.

It's clear to me that you've totally missed the point that the OP is being subjected to $800 in charges that, if it were anything else on any other partner, most would expect to be more transparent.

Last edited by Schultzois; Apr 28, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So now you know how much BA values you as a status holder.

They will keep a decent seat for you, But if someone is willing to pay $100, Tough the decent seat is gone.
Simple: it deters non-status holders from selecting seats.

But at least the option to select seats is now there for non-status holders. Remember what it was like in the immediately-preceding version of the seating policy?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Schultzois
AFAIK international partners don't sell "basic" fares for domestic AA flights, just AA does, and they publish precisely the types of warnings that I advocate. As does BA for their HBO fares. And neither cross-sells to the other as a "business fare." You seem to forget we are talking about several thousand dollar minimum business class fares l

Further, under "flight details" it is almost universally disclosed what meal service is going to be offered (Dinner, lunch, "meal", snack...). Lounge access on international flights of any sort (such as we're discussing here) always include lounge access... so again domestic matters are somewhat irrelevant to the original discussion. Many countries no longer even offer domestic business (apart from the US most I travel do NOT) so that's another red herring.

It's clear to me that you've totally missed the point that the OP is being subjected to $800 in charges that, if it were anything else on any other partner, most would expect to be more transparent.
i disagree with nearly all of your points above.

1) codeshares are often used on domestic itineraries. I may very well buy a F ticket on ba with the following routing:

15/6: LHR-JFK F op BA
18/6: JFK-MIA F op AA
24/6: MIA-LHR F op BA

in that scenario I would not be eligible to lounge access at JFK on my F itinerary.

2) i think you should have another look at booking websites on ba.com and Qatar, neither of which will specify what you consider to be ‘almost universally disclosed’.

And my point is not a purely theoretical one, I can tel’ You I have known many people genuinely surprised and shocked not to have a meal on a two hour flight in F and not to have lounge access when booked in paid F.

3) except for the example of basic that we can leave out if it makes you more comfortable, all others would occur in itineraries worth thousands and thousands in paid J (QR lounge access, etc) and in fact the ones pertaining to AA lounge access and onboard food can even occur in the most expensive itineraries possible, ie full fare paid F which obviously is not the case with seat selection.

So no, I’m not missing the points that you make about the costs of things or how frustrated someone might feel about it, but you are asking for a deliberately humiliating phrasing of the ‘unlike almost everyone else’ type which completely misses out the fact that other airlines also have their own idiosyncrasies which can equally shock, surprise, and upset people buying codeshares of thousands and in some cases even tends of thousands in business and first class.

the fact that ba’s seating policy uniquely upsets you does not make it uniquely idiosyncratic. A lot of other idiosyncratic choices (including good ones by the way like serving free actual Champagne in AF Y or formerly keeping two F seats per passenger on non retrofitted planes in LH F) can be made by airlines that set them apart.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Alright, here's a thing about seat selection. I'm pretty tall, and I have family overseas. Which means that as a student, or when I didn't earn a whole lot, I'd have to get economy tickets to visit them (boy am I looking forward to get a lie-flat seat this year).

I couldn't fly ANY airline with free seat selection because all the exit row / bulkhead seats were taken a few months out, most of the time. So instead, I picked another (cheaper) airline with paid seat selection, where, conveniently, I could pay for an exit row seat. Wow, shocker, I know.

I wouldn't disagree with a model where only better seats are for pay (say the first 10 rows of the cabin and anything with extra legroom), but that's not always how it is. I rarely fly with other people so I can see the benefit in that. But if you're travelling alone, what do you care?

Also, I get that it's annoying to pay for seats, but if you had flown any return in club world in the past year or two you'd be bronze. Just saying.
dewidaniels likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As a counter-factual, by the way, yesterday, I've had to book a late (early May) trip to the US in premium economy (the one cabin I dislike and almost never book) for two of us. I'm top tier with BA and AF which both had similar timings and connections and AF was about £200 cheaper. However, it only had seats in the middle block left on my days whilst BA still had a window-aisle/no neighbour pair in each direction. Guess which one I booked, and that was despite those being the last two tickets for sale in the cabin (now showing W0 E0 T0 after my purchase).

Now don't take me wrong - this is a zero sum game, so my relief to be able to find two seats I like in a full sold cabin as a GGL and (very unusually for me) highest bucket customer for one of the two ways symmetrically means that two people who booked their ticket earlier, albeit without status will be unhappy to find that they cannot get a window seat when they OLCI in a few days. Nevertheless, they 'could' have got those seats if they had valued them enough to pay for them.

If they chose not to, there is, perhaps, a logic in the choice that BA makes of who to please and who to disappoint that people can see even if they disagree with it. In this case, it happens on those occasions of a full cabin where of course, not everyone will have their ideal choice. Needless to say that in a much emptier cabin, even those who could not preselect will find seats that they will like anyway.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Simple: it deters non-status holders from selecting seats.

But at least the option to select seats is now there for non-status holders. Remember what it was like in the immediately-preceding version of the seating policy?
I totally agree with your statements.

The point I am trying to make is that the fee has very little to do with protecting the better seats for status holders.

I have just done a dummy booking in March as a guest on to Beijing on the 5th and returning on the 12th in business.
I can select any of the seats in the business cabin (every one is available on both legs).
Row 6 is priced at £76
Rows 7,10 & 11 are £69
Rows 12 & 13 are £62

If forking out for a business seat and paying to choose a seat, £14 more expensive is not going to stop me picking a better seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.