Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pay for Seat Selection on BA international business class?

Old Jun 6, 13, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual,aa

We recently travelled BA business Chicago/LHR on AA miles ... had to pay $100+ each to select the seats instead of leaving it up to luck in order to sit together. We are looking at full fare pay for another trip Chicago/CDG...is seat selection free when paying? We do have an option of going AA 767-300...not as good a seats as far as I know, but free selection. Any help appreciated. Maybe extra $ is worth using BA lounge! Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 13, 12:24 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Only for fully flexible business class.
Old Jun 6, 13, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Passengers who do not have any oneworld status, are flying in discounted business class and are happy to select their seats at online check-in 24 hours before their flight will pay 60/80 less per passenger per sector. (Higher rate applies for those who choose to sit on the upper deck of B747s.)

Passengers where anyone on the PNR has oneworld emerald or sapphire status or who have booked fully flexible fares will have seat selection included at no extra charge.

Passengers where anyone on the PNR has oneworld ruby status may choose to pay the supplement or wait until a week before their flight to select for free.

There are a few other corner case exemptions.
Old Jun 6, 13, 1:37 pm

Programs: ABBA
Indeed. Passengers with incredibly easy to get Saphire status and passengers on 5k tickets expect to be able to select seats when they book with a couple of days notice. People on 1500 deep-discount returns are encouraged by a further discount to make way for the more important flyers.

(yes yes everyone's important, whether you paid 300 and a few miles or 10000, you're equally important to BA )
Old Jun 7, 13, 7:25 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 12:39 am
Old Jun 7, 13, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
Indeed. Passengers with incredibly easy to get Saphire status and passengers on 5k tickets expect to be able to select seats when they book with a couple of days notice. People on 1500 deep-discount returns are encouraged by a further discount to make way for the more important flyers.

(yes yes everyone's important, whether you paid 300 and a few miles or 10000, you're equally important to BA )
BA will never know how many first time business class flyers don't stick around to become high CIV customers because they ticked them off with seat selection fees that first time.

It's not just those flying on deeply discounted sale fares who can't select seats. People can be handing over a big chunk of cash for their not full fare CW seat.
Old Jun 7, 13, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by HilFly View Post
. People can be handing over a big chunk of cash for their not full fare CW seat.
This is exactly why I go out of my way to avoid BA whenever possible, despite my OW Emerald status. I find it highly insulting that if I didn't have status I would have to fork over an extra $100 on top of my $4k-7K "discounted" J ticket to select a seat, when I can do it for free on other carriers.
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;
I actually think that it is a good benefit that passengers with status are able to choose from a variety of available seats.
I do think, however, that BA should change policy and allow all passengers to choose seats from T-3 days or so...

I was actually harmed by this policy when I chose to make separate reservations for a party of 5 people when there not enough tickets on the cheapest fare. But I though that for a saving of 500$ per ticket I can allow myself to add another 200$ for seat selection for these tickets, as I still saved some money.
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just imagine that the seat selection fee is added to the price you see when making the purchase. Would you still fly BA? If so, then buy the BA flights and pay extra for seat selection. If not, fly someone else!
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Free early seat selection for all is one reason why the Iberia Business Plus product beats CW.....there are many more.
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by umaa83 View Post
This is exactly why I go out of my way to avoid BA whenever possible, despite my OW Emerald status. I find it highly insulting that if I didn't have status I would have to fork over an extra $100 on top of my $4k-7K "discounted" J ticket to select a seat, when I can do it for free on other carriers.
This is exactly why I go out of my way to avoid AA whenever possible, despite my OW Sapphire status. I find it highly insulting that if I didn't have status I would have to fork over an extra $50 for lounge access when flying in domestic first class or $60/$100 to check two bags on domestic/international flights in economy when I can get it for free on other carriers.

[In short, different carriers charge more for some Optional Extras than others. You are not forced to purchase the extras.]
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:57 am

I quite like the current system.

It's a FF perk, for sure. But as much business travel is booked at short notice, it means that frequent travellers can still get a decent selection of seats, instead of whatever's left over.

And people who book discounted tickets in advance have the option of paying if they want to.

It's not that long ago that you couldn't select a seat at all until checkin and we all survived that era.
Old Jun 7, 13, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
I quite like the current system ... It's not that long ago that you couldn't select a seat at all until checkin and we all survived that era.
When I first started flying BA reasonably seriously back in 2006 (business travel in those days) I was hardly ever able to get a seat in advance because more than 75% or however many it was of seats had already been selected.

The current system is clearly an improvement.
Old Jun 7, 13, 10:02 am

If one of the party declares that they require assistance then the whole party is allowed to choose seats for free whatever price they paid for the ticket.

Of course, I'd couldn't support such an approach but I'm sure it has been used to avoid the charges and choose seats before.
Old Jun 7, 13, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
This is exactly why I go out of my way to avoid AA whenever possible, despite my OW Sapphire status. I find it highly insulting that if I didn't have status I would have to fork over an extra $50 for lounge access when flying in domestic first class or $60/$100 to check two bags on domestic/international flights in economy when I can get it for free on other carriers.

[In short, different carriers charge more for some Optional Extras than others. You are not forced to purchase the extras.]
I can come right back at you that for that $50 I can get in on a coach ticket on domestic trips or for the membership fee I can get into any AA/QF lounge worldwide no matter what cabin I'm travelling in. Can't do that on BA. I also can book award travel on AA without having to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars in fees. Can't do that on BA. The list goes on.

Also, as far as the AA bag fees go, as long as your travel on the US domestic flights is tied to an international flight on one ticket, or show that you just arrived or are connecting to an international flight, the domestic bag fees are waived for 1 bag for anybody.

My point is that BA is the only airline I'm aware of, there probably are a few select others, that charge for reserving a seat in a premium cabin. It's not unheard of for airlines to charge for lounge access or bags.

Last edited by umaa83; Jun 7, 13 at 10:24 am

Search this Thread