Wiki Posts
Search

Bronze - Initial allocation of seats

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Bronze - Initial allocation of seats

New one for me recently. The misses and I are on the 779 on thursday, in CE on a 2 for 1. Being as i had slipped to Bronze this year I had a look at the 7 day window to our seat allocations. Interestingly enough, BA had caringly placed me in 2A and the wifey in 2D. Now while I think this might be a good way for me to sneak and extra GT in without the wife's eyes rolling, wouldn't it make more sense to be allocated a pair together? (The right side had open pairs, so I am now in 2F).

Any other tarnished metal holders out there have similar experiences?

Last edited by Stizzack; May 17, 2013 at 10:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 18, 2013, 12:36 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Stizzack
New one for me recently. The misses and I are on the 779 on thursday, in CE on a 2 for 1. Being as i had slipped to Bronze this year I had a look at the 7 day window to our seat allocations. Interestingly enough, BA had caringly placed me in 2A and the wifey in 2D. Now while I think this might be a good way for me to sneak and extra GT in without the wife's eyes rolling, wouldn't it make more sense to be allocated a pair together? (The right side had open pairs, so I am now in 2F).

Any other tarnished metal holders out there have similar experiences?
I'm convinced it is a total random function in BA's systems, having frequently seen this when travelling with a colleague on the same PNR. At OLCI we have been put at opposite ends of the Y cabin, even though there are many, many adjacent seats open to select. I reckon about 30-40% of times this happens.

And when travelling alone I always finish up being automatically put in a middle or window, never an aisle....although for years I have "aisle" as my EC preference. Never once put in an aisle automatically As a fellow Bronze, 2 days ago at the 7-day window for seat selection for my upcoming OSL flight some 70% of the Y cabin was unallocated and I was in.......a MIDDLE seat.

It is a random function
Old May 18, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Vaguely similar but it amuses me that the default for assigning pairs of seats in club world seems to be D&E or F&G
Old May 18, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
As a fellow Bronze, 2 days ago at the 7-day window for seat selection for my upcoming OSL flight some 70% of the Y cabin was unallocated and I was in.......a MIDDLE seat.

It is a random function
So i guess you don't get many op-ups on long haul either?
Old May 18, 2013, 6:34 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Stizzack
So i guess you don't get many op-ups on long haul either?
Will let you know if I do....haven't flown BA long haul for 3 years now
Old May 18, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level
Originally Posted by BOH
As a fellow Bronze, 2 days ago at the 7-day window for seat selection for my upcoming OSL flight some 70% of the Y cabin was unallocated and I was in.......a MIDDLE seat.

It is a random function
As a gold, I was put in 2B for a flight to EDI next week when I booked yesterday. The system makes no sense at all. There were both window and aisle seats available on row 3!
Old May 18, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Emirates Skywards
A year ago my wife was allocated an upper deck seat whilst I was downstairs. One booking, same PNR, LHR-BKK. Was only resolved very close to take off. Don't assume couples get adjacent seats, even in CW, unless you're prepared to dip your hand in your wallet.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:39 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Bobcat901
A year ago my wife was allocated an upper deck seat whilst I was downstairs. One booking, same PNR, LHR-BKK. Was only resolved very close to take off. Don't assume couples get adjacent seats, even in CW, unless you're prepared to dip your hand in your wallet.
I've always been convinced it's quite deliberate to create enough uncertainty so folks stump up the cash to guarantee to sit together
Old May 18, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a GGL I was allocated a middle seat (admittedly in an exit row) on booking. Moved to row 21 for an aisle and hoping for an op-up as have no desire to sit that far back on a plane, even for VIE-LHR.

Great shame that GGL are currently refusing to move lower tier pax.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:35 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Great shame that GGL are currently refusing to move lower tier pax.
And quite right too. Some folks have an astonishing sense of entitlement
Old May 18, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
And quite right too. Some folks have an astonishing sense of entitlement
Old May 18, 2013, 2:53 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
And when travelling alone I always finish up being automatically put in a middle or window, never an aisle....although for years I have "aisle" as my EC preference. Never once put in an aisle automatically As a fellow Bronze, 2 days ago at the 7-day window for seat selection for my upcoming OSL flight some 70% of the Y cabin was unallocated and I was in.......a MIDDLE seat.

It is a random function
It's nothing to do with status either. I've been Gold for over 10 years, also have aisle as my stated preference, but BA always seems to allocate me a window!

BA's IT systems never cease to amaze me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.