Wiki Posts
Search

when does take-off finish?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
when does take-off finish?

'electronic devices must not be used when the engines are running on the ground or during take-off and landing'

When does take-off finish? Is it when the crew are released or when the fasten seat-belt sign is switched off or at some other point?

Just wondered.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Ive always assumed its when the seat belt sign goes off.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by tuff
'electronic devices must not be used when the engines are running on the ground or during take-off and landing'

When does take-off finish? Is it when the crew are released or when the fasten seat-belt sign is switched off or at some other point?

Just wondered.

For you as SLF, I'm pretty sure its when the seatbelt lights go off. Infact I am fairly confident this is what you're told in the safety briefing that I'm sure you listen to.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC, HHH (Diamond), Le Club (Platinum), Hertz (Gold), Priority Club,
I am fairly confident this is what you're told in the safety briefing
I'm fairly confident that you're not told this in the safety briefing. From my recollection, you're just told that they must be off "whenever the engines are running on the ground, during take-off, approach and landing".
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by Airclues
I'm fairly confident that you're not told this in the safety briefing. From my recollection, you're just told that they must be off "whenever the engines are running on the ground, for take-off and landing".
Exactly. Hence the question.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by tuff
When does take-off finish?
It doesn't really matter when one is doing a TR...........

Seriously, I am sure Jumbodriver or Can I Help You or one of the other BA CC will be along shortly to confirm the answer.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:16 am

Whatever the rule, I bet loads of headphones and iPods/iPads go on as soon as the wheels leave the ground.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Airclues
I'm fairly confident that you're not told this in the safety briefing. From my recollection, you're just told that they must be off "whenever the engines are running on the ground, during take-off, approach and landing".
Visual cue perhaps.

Honestly, I can't remember. As long as I have identified where my lifejacket is, where the oxygen will drop from and where the exits are (and what type of exits they are), I don't care much for the blurb as its all standard stuff, and I'm not that desperate to be able to use electronic devices, I can wait until cruise rather than turn anything on at the first possible opportunity.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SteveF
Whatever the rule, I bet loads of headphones and iPods/iPads go on as soon as the wheels leave the ground.
If they were ever switched off!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I cannot see anything that says at what point the takeoff actually finishes but I would think for the use of electrical devices it would be when the undercarriage is retracted.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: ABBA
Waiting for seatbelt sign can be bad, if the captain is forgetful, or if it's just turbulant. I've been over Russia (Kalingrad) in the past before the sign has gone off.

I take the cabin crew out of seats as a sign that IFE can come out and electronics can go on. I suppose 10,000' would be another point, but there's no indication when that is.

And despite seeing a variation of a BA safety video 2-3 times a week (In the last 7 days, an A319, A320, A321 and 773 version), I always watch and listen, from the first words to the "as we prepare for takeoff" bit.

It's a shame the cabin crew on my recent FCO-LHR flight couldn't be bothered pointing out the emergency exits -- she was too busy laughing at something the person behind her said.

I have idly wondered if
"engines are running on the ground, during takeoff, approach and landing"
means that electronics can be used if the engines aren't running during approach
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I cannot see anything that says at what point the takeoff actually finishes but I would think for the use of electrical devices it would be when the undercarriage is retracted.
Honestly.... I'd be very surprised if someone can counter-argue (with details of BA policy, not any heresy or personal experience) my statement of ..... nonsense.

As passengers, you should not be taking your queues from the actions of the crew or the aircraft unless directed to do so. You should be using public queues such as the seatbelt lights.

The fact is that the undercarriage is retracted because there is no more runway left (and you're going too fast) to do an aborted take off. However, nothing is stopping PF from aborting the initial climb and bringing the aircraft back to land. The initial climb-out is a critical time and they don't want to be wasting time telling people suffering from withdrawal symptoms to put away their gear !

Hence my suggestion that from a passengers point of view, take off is complete at the end of the initial climbout when the flightcrew turns off the seatbelt sign .... probably somewhere around 10,000 ft. I don't know the exact figure for BA.

Last edited by Short Final; Apr 27, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thanks, CIHY, it's when the undercarriage is retracted that I normally open up my laptop and I have never been challenged when doing so (and I am usually in 28 B or 28 J on a Hi-J 747 so right opposite a crew seat) !
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Waiting for seatbelt sign can be bad, if the captain is forgetful, or if it's just turbulant. I've been over Russia (Kalingrad) in the past before the sign has gone off.
Captain is not forgetful. It'll be an item on their checklist. There are no doubt perfectly good reasons they have left it on.

If its turbulent then that's good enough.. they don't want ipods ipads etc flying around the cabin.

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I take the cabin crew out of seats as a sign that IFE can come out and electronics can go on.
Erm, the crew are allowed to do many things you are not. You as a passenger should not be taking actions based on the apparent actions (or lack thereof) of the crew at a given point in time.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

On short haul, a single chime followed by synchronised clicks from jump seats followed by clatter of coffee pots. Those are the cues I follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.