Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
Cool Pregnant women sitting in emergency exit:

Pregnant women sitting in emergency exit:

Hi Everyone!

I have a flight on BA next month and I have a question:

I will be between 6-7 month pregnant and I choose my seats on my flights to seat in emergency exit.

Someone knows if there is any limited for pregnant women to sit in emergency exit?

Thanks

Scuba:-::-::-::-::-:
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:13 am

There is an FT thread on this subject (from 2007) at http://tinyurl.com/bsgsbjm and a BA page on the emergency exit rules at http://tinyurl.com/bqrjnk9

You may meet the criteria if you are willing to assist in an emergency, although I believe that there is a risk that you will be moved to a much less attractive seat at check-in or boarding if BA staff decide that you do not meet the criteria.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
BA.com doesn't seem explicit on this fact but that could be because the CAA definition (below), is a bit of a farce given you're pregnant from day 1. The PRM definition is also subjective but at 7 months I can imagine you being shifted.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/AATWshop.pdf

European aviation safety regulations state that passengers of reduced mobility (PRMs)
shall not occupy seats where their presence could impede the crew in their duties,
obstruct access to emergency equipment or impede the evacuation of the aircraft.
They also state that PRMs should not be allocated seats which permit direct access to
emergency exits. Direct access means a seat from which a passenger can proceed
directly to the exit without entering an aisle or passing around an obstruction.
Airlines therefore have to comply with this legislation and ensure that PRMs are not
allocated seats that would contravene these requirements. This requirement is also
extended to children, pregnant and obese passengers, prisoners in custody and
deportees.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I would choose a non-exit seat. You will most likely be moved to another seat if you do choose an exit seat.

The whole point of exit rows is to allow rapid egress from the aircraft in an emergency (they're not designed for extra legroom believe it or not ).

IMO, you would be putting the safety of yourself and you baby as well as the safety of those around you in danger by sitting there, in the event of an emergency.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why worry about what government and BA rules are and use your own common sense instead. The issue only arises in the event of an emergency. In an emergency would you be able to assist the crew, would you be able to get out of the way quickly and would you be able to lift the emergency exit out of the way? If not, why would you subject yourself and your child to the risk and why would you endanger others?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Genius1
IMO, you would be putting the safety of yourself and you baby as well as the safety of those around you in danger by sitting there, in the event of an emergency.
I would interested to know how she is putting her baby and herself at risk sitting in the exit. Pregnant women are just pregenant, not useless. If she is happy opening the exit and throwing it out then I fail so see why it is an issue.

Surely it's far safer to be in an exit row than not, provided you are not in the A or F seat and the door falls on your head.

There are going to be plenty of people to give a hand if needed, and this applies equally to "able" people who are clueless at opening the door or don't realise how heavy it is and drop it etc.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:39 am

alexbellamy, I'm assuming you've never felt the weight of one of those doors. If you had, you'd know the risks, not only to the baby in the event of the door swinging in but also to the expectant Mother who would very likely land herself with a serious back injury trying to throw the door out. There is a good reason that pregnant ladies are advised not to lift heavy weights. (Ligaments soften in preparation for birth)

As for suggesting that the lady should be fine as long as she isn't sitting in the A or F seat, maybe you should have a read of this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-course.html

scubainstructor87, you would be moved from an emergency exit at 7 months pregnant, I'm afraid. Swiss Tony is totally correct on the rules, so for this flight, you will need to choose a different seat. I hope you have a great flight regardless and congratulations and good luck with your new arrival!

Last edited by JetSet Lady; Mar 23, 2013 at 6:47 am
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Why worry about what government and BA rules are and use your own common sense instead.
Sometimes I do wonder about the arguments put forward here. Ignoring, for a moment the safety issues, it is BA rules that govern the Exec Club, upgrades etc etc and the amount of worry that goes on here about those fuels this whole section of FT. BA and government rules also say you cannot sit on the flight deck - should we ignore that rule too because it is inconvenient? What about smoking onboard?

I have just completed my annual Safety Equipment and Procedures training, one of the exam questions asks about this specific issue. Pregnant women are not allowed in emergency exit rows. If you are clearly pregnant, which at 7 months, I suspect you are, the cabin crew will move you. What is the point of pre-selecting a seat if, when you get onboard, you are moved to another seat? Surely it would be better to pick a seat that suits you and accept that you cannot sit in the emergency exit row?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Sometimes I do wonder about the arguments put forward here. Ignoring, for a moment the safety issues, it is BA rules that govern the Exec Club, upgrades etc etc and the amount of worry that goes on here about those fuels this whole section of FT. BA and government rules also say you cannot sit on the flight deck - should we ignore that rule too because it is inconvenient? What about smoking onboard?
Sometimes there are stupid rules. We all know of rules/laws that are utterly nonsensical yet exist, and we all ignore them. Common sense.

IMO sitting in the exit at 7 months pregnant is quite selfish and stupid. As are obese people, old people, and other people who clearly could not lift that door.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by DWFI
Sometimes there are stupid rules. We all know of rules/laws that are utterly nonsensical yet exist, and we all ignore them. Common sense.
Ignore away, just don't moan when those rules bite you in the ......

The problem with aviation is that often passengers choose to ignore rules because they seem them as being stupid or non-sensical without any real knowledge or experience upon which to make a reasoned judgement.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by alexbellamy
I would interested to know how she is putting her baby and herself at risk sitting in the exit. Pregnant women are just pregenant, not useless. If she is happy opening the exit and throwing it out then I fail so see why it is an issue.
The doors are very, very heavy, and one needs to move quickly during an evacuation to open the door.

It's common sense.

Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by DWFI

IMO sitting in the exit at 7 months pregnant is quite selfish and stupid. As are obese people, old people, and other people who clearly could not lift that door.
Unfortunately, the term "obese" ends up being attached to a range of people, from those who are fit and healthy, right up to those who can't even roll over in bed.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
To the OP: Leaving aside the question of whether you are or are not allowed to use the exit row, it is quite likely that cabin crew will ask you to move anyhow, so it's probably a good idea to go ahead and select another seat.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:08 am

I was recently on a non-BA flight when a pregnant woman was moved from an exit row. She was furious because she had paid extra for the seat and wanted a refund before she would move. They told her it was her own fault for selecting it in the first place and to either move seat or be removed from the plane. After a bit more huffing and puffing she moved. I don't know how they knew she was pregnant, it wasn't particularly obvious.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
I think I will be able to help the crew in emergency times.
But will not take the risk,

Thanks for advice..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.