Search

upgrade with avios?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:58 pm
formerly known as Eyal Wizner
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish air, Miles & More, ELAL
upgrade with avios?

hi all, i am a silver member of BAi bought an AA business class ticket (fare class I) and i fly from LHR-LAS in club world. can i use my avoise to upgrade to first class?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by eyal wizner
hi all, i am a silver member of BAi bought an AA business class ticket (fare class I) and i fly from LHR-LAS in club world. can i use my avoise to upgrade to first class?
If it is an AA issued ticket then you cannot use avios to upgrade (you could use aadvantage miles to upgrade if booked in these classes: C, J, D or R on British Airways).

If it is a BA issued ticket with an AA flight then you can use avios to upgrade these fare classes: J, C, D, W, Y, B. Since your ticket is I class you could not use avios to upgrade the AA flight.

If it is a BA issued ticket with BA flights then you could use avios to upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If it is an AA issued ticket then you cannot use avios to upgrade (you could use aadvantage miles to upgrade if booked in these classes: C, J, D or R on British Airways).

If it is a BA issued ticket with an AA flight then you can use avios to upgrade these fare classes: J, C, D, W, Y, B. Since your ticket is I class you could not use avios to upgrade the AA flight.

If it is a BA issued ticket with BA flights then you could use avios to upgrade.
Sorry not true.
You can use avios to upgrade an AA ticket purchased with cash in JCDYB.
You will need to call AA.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by rapidex
Sorry not true.
I assume you mean BA?

AA won't be able to touch your Avios account, Avios have nothing to do with them. Avios are only your relationship with BA.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska

Originally Posted by rapidex
Sorry not true.
Sorry, what isn't true?
You cannot use avios to upgrade a ticket by calling AA. You also cannot use avios to upgrade any ticket that is not on BA ticket stock. You can use avios on a BA issued ticket to upgrade AA flights in fare classes J, C, D, W, Y, B.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Why not fare classes R, I, E and T? Is that because the ticket is on AA paper?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If it is an AA bought ticket with BA as the carrier, then this applies:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Yep.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The airlines in the JBA have only agreed to allow cross airline upgrades on selected full-fare classes.

If using avios to upgrade (on a BA issued ticket)an AA, BA, or IB flight then these rules apply:
7. When upgrading a combination of BA, AA and IB Flights the Upgrades using Avios Points on Partner Flights conditions of use apply.

8. For upgrades on British Airways flights only the Upgrades using Avios Points on British Airways Conditions of Use apply.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...upgrade_baaaib
If using AAdvantage Miles to upgrade (on an AA issued ticket) a BA or IB flight then the link in the post above applies. Not so long ago AA changed the language on their website that seems to imply that no matter where you bought your ticket you can use AAdvantage miles to upgrade although I don't remember seeing any reports of success on non-AA ticket stock. I have used AA upgrade certs (old VIPs) to upgrade AA segments on non-AA ticket stock in the past, so it might work.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-possible.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-airlines.html
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

well, i will call BA and check
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

And I called BA this morning and I have been told that an AA ticker cannot be upgrading by avoid when I fly with BA . I told the girl that she is wrong, and I sent here the link of the BA website so she can see it.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:24 pm

But you said your ticket is fare class I. That's not an eligible class according to that link.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyal wizner
And I called BA this morning and I have been told that an AA ticker cannot be upgrading by avoid when I fly with BA . I told the girl that she is wrong, and I sent here the link of the BA website so she can see it.
If its an an AA ticket then it can't be upgraded with avios.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That's annoying - our departmental PA dallied earlier and the cheap BA fare to get the 8am flight JFK-LHR had gone, so I'm on the 9.30am AA flight and, yes, it's an I fare so I can't upgrade it.

Shame I absolutely have to be back on that day, otherwise could have got the 77W flight and not cared!

Last edited by darthlemsip; Mar 15, 2013 at 4:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Well, I will keep dreaming of flying F....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.