FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1442060-outbound-flight-not-taken-return-cancelled.html)

mclachlan4321 Feb 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?

Andriyko Feb 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes, the entire booking will be canceled if you are a 'no show' on the first or any subsequent segments.

matthandy Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am

As Andriyko said, yes, the entire booking is automatically cancelled and BA don't seem to tell you about it either.

LTN Phobia Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 (Post 20311592)
If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?

Unfortunately, that is what will happen indeed.

I usually book 2 x one ways for that very reason, unless the fare difference justifies a return booking, as is normally the case with long haul.

mclachlan4321 Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.

LTN Phobia Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 (Post 20311676)
Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.

You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.

IAN-UK Feb 25, 2013 12:27 am

I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

It seems an inefficient way to do things - but why not "grab" a ticket all the way back to MAN ?

copperfield27 Feb 25, 2013 12:54 am

What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).

rossmacd Feb 25, 2013 12:56 am

Originally Posted by copperfield27 (Post 20311769)
What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).

They are well within their right to charge you for a full fare single, should you cancel the return sector. However, in reality, I would just no show for the return sector if I knew I was not going to take it, and not inform BA.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 25, 2013 1:51 am

Nope. The only time they re-instate sectors is if you provided an extremely good force majeure. I once had a flight from NCL to an obscure airport on NZ's South Island. Fog hit Newcastle, the first flight was cancelled, but I got to LHR with 2 hours to spare for my HKG sector, thanks to the train. The system had automatically cancelled the entire booking, there and back. In that 2 hours they (3 staff) just, only just, got me re-instated as far as Sydney, and then asked the back office to sort out the rest (which did happen). It was amazingly difficult to do.

paulwuk Feb 25, 2013 3:29 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 20311689)
You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.

Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321

Dan72 Feb 25, 2013 6:14 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 20312096)
Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321

If you're splitting hairs, AA don't have a CW cabin... :p

Yahillwe Feb 25, 2013 6:21 am

I think most airlines have this policy. Once my son and I missed our flight, and we were connecting. He had on pnr while my ticket was on 2. Thanks to HB's help we reroute s through another country... I guess it is too complicated to post the whole thing here. Anyway when we finally reached the connecting airport, my son's ticket was cancelled. We had to buy him a new one.

wyvern Feb 25, 2013 10:30 am

I was in this situation, booked a new return ticket with avios as I had 24 hours to spare. Then, the return flight from EDI was delayed, because one pax was somehow checked in twice... So on this occasion I need not have arranged a new ticket and could have just showed up with my original BP.

1210mk2 May 2, 2019 9:34 am

Can anyone show me on BA.com where in writing it states that is you no show for outbound the return flight/entire booking is cancelled?