FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1442060-outbound-flight-not-taken-return-cancelled.html)

mclachlan4321 Feb 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?

Andriyko Feb 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes, the entire booking will be canceled if you are a 'no show' on the first or any subsequent segments.

matthandy Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am

As Andriyko said, yes, the entire booking is automatically cancelled and BA don't seem to tell you about it either.

LTN Phobia Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 (Post 20311592)
If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?

Unfortunately, that is what will happen indeed.

I usually book 2 x one ways for that very reason, unless the fare difference justifies a return booking, as is normally the case with long haul.

mclachlan4321 Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.

LTN Phobia Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 (Post 20311676)
Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.

You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.

IAN-UK Feb 25, 2013 12:27 am

I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

It seems an inefficient way to do things - but why not "grab" a ticket all the way back to MAN ?

copperfield27 Feb 25, 2013 12:54 am

What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).

rossmacd Feb 25, 2013 12:56 am

Originally Posted by copperfield27 (Post 20311769)
What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).

They are well within their right to charge you for a full fare single, should you cancel the return sector. However, in reality, I would just no show for the return sector if I knew I was not going to take it, and not inform BA.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 25, 2013 1:51 am

Nope. The only time they re-instate sectors is if you provided an extremely good force majeure. I once had a flight from NCL to an obscure airport on NZ's South Island. Fog hit Newcastle, the first flight was cancelled, but I got to LHR with 2 hours to spare for my HKG sector, thanks to the train. The system had automatically cancelled the entire booking, there and back. In that 2 hours they (3 staff) just, only just, got me re-instated as far as Sydney, and then asked the back office to sort out the rest (which did happen). It was amazingly difficult to do.

paulwuk Feb 25, 2013 3:29 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 20311689)
You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.

Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321

Dan72 Feb 25, 2013 6:14 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 20312096)
Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321

If you're splitting hairs, AA don't have a CW cabin... :p

Yahillwe Feb 25, 2013 6:21 am

I think most airlines have this policy. Once my son and I missed our flight, and we were connecting. He had on pnr while my ticket was on 2. Thanks to HB's help we reroute s through another country... I guess it is too complicated to post the whole thing here. Anyway when we finally reached the connecting airport, my son's ticket was cancelled. We had to buy him a new one.

wyvern Feb 25, 2013 10:30 am

I was in this situation, booked a new return ticket with avios as I had 24 hours to spare. Then, the return flight from EDI was delayed, because one pax was somehow checked in twice... So on this occasion I need not have arranged a new ticket and could have just showed up with my original BP.

1210mk2 May 2, 2019 9:34 am

Can anyone show me on BA.com where in writing it states that is you no show for outbound the return flight/entire booking is cancelled?

BertieBadger May 2, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by 1210mk2 (Post 31060010)
Can anyone show me on BA.com where in writing it states that is you no show for outbound the return flight/entire booking is cancelled?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

3c2 in the Conditions of Carriage would seem to cover it:

3c2) Your ticket is no longer valid if you do not use all the coupons in the sequence provided in the ticket. Where you change your travel without our agreement and the price for the resulting transportation you intend to undertake is greater than the price originally paid, you will be requested to pay the difference in price. Failure to pay the price applicable to your revised transportation will result in refusal of carriage.
I shall now withdraw and let the lawyers fight over whether such clauses are fair/enforceable/etc

MSPeconomist May 2, 2019 9:42 am

IIRC there was a German court decision saying that this is not enforceable and flight coupons can be used in any order (although I don't understand how this would work with inflexible tickets). It doesn't seem to apply to the entire EU but might be applicable if your itinerary touches Germany, if you have a German address, or if the tickets were issued in Germany. IANAL.

1Aturnleft May 2, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31060044)
IIRC there was a German court decision saying that this is not enforceable and flight coupons can be used in any order (although I don't understand how this would work with inflexible tickets). It doesn't seem to apply to the entire EU but might be applicable if your itinerary touches Germany, if you have a German address, or if the tickets were issued in Germany. IANAL.

The LH website now seems to allow you to choose whether you'd like a ticket that can be used out of sequence in a similar way the BA site allows you to choose whether you'd like flexibility. I've not had time to draw comparisons on the fares being quoted there but I'd be as bold as to suggest opting for a ticket that can be used out of sequence will cost more than one that cannot.

eefor jfp May 2, 2019 10:34 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft (Post 31060200)
The LH website now seems to allow you to choose whether you'd like a ticket that can be used out of sequence in a similar way the BA site allows you to choose whether you'd like flexibility. I've not had time to draw comparisons on the fares being quoted there but I'd be as bold as to suggest opting for a ticket that can be used out of sequence will cost more than one that cannot.

I'm pretty sure that checking that box prices the itinerary as full fare one way tickets (YY fare basis) so you could then use them in any order. So for a Vienna-Frankfurt-Amsterdam return ticket, you're buying four separate flexible one ways. Even then, if you simply no-show without cancelling, I think you loose the value of that segment.

argonath May 2, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft (Post 31060200)

I'm sure someone posted such a comparison with the out of sequence ticket double the price..

orbitmic May 2, 2019 11:24 am

The court case also gave the airline the right to reprice the passenger's itinerary based on what he flew and the changes he operated. It is only the actual cancellation that was deemed disproportionate.

Often1 May 2, 2019 1:13 pm

Not quite.

German courts have ruled that a carrier must offer to sell a ticket which does not require that the segments be flown in the order issued. However, the court expressly did not require that such tickets be sold at the same price. Thus, if you purchase from a German POS, you may purchase such a ticket. However, the pricing is generally astronomically higher than what standard tickets cost for the same route and otherwise same conditions. There may be some limited instances where purchasing one of these special tickets makes sense, but I have yet to find one.

Spain has recently suggested the same. However, the pricing issue is still fluid. But, nothing in the Spanish court decision appears to prohibit carriers from selling tickets with segment-skipping flexibility at a premium.

The bottom line is that this is an interesting academic debate with precious little value in the real world.

TabTraveller May 2, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 20311776)
They are well within their right to charge you for a full fare single, should you cancel the return sector. However, in reality, I would just no show for the return sector if I knew I was not going to take it, and not inform BA.

No, they aren’t. There is such crap peddled on this forum sometimes. If you no show for the return, which is what the question asked, then there is no penalty that BA can levy.

KARFA May 2, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 31061223)
No, they aren’t. There is such crap peddled on this forum sometimes. If you no show for the return, which is what the question asked, then there is no penalty that BA can levy.

I am not saying they would tbh, but doesn't this condition say exactly that? Probably more relevant for long haul where a one way can easily be a lot more than booking a return and throwing the return leg away.

3c) Using flight coupons in the right sequence and changes in itinerary

3c1) Your ticket is valid only for the transportation shown on it from the place of departure through any agreed stopping places to the final place of destination. The fare you have paid is based on our tariff for the transportation shown on your ticket and forms part of your contract with us.

3c2) Your ticket is no longer valid if you do not use all the coupons in the sequence provided in the ticket. Where youchange your travel without our agreement and the price for the resulting transportation you intend to undertake is greater than the price originally paid, you will be requested to pay the difference in price. Failure to pay the price applicable to your revised transportation will result in refusal of carriage.

MADPhil May 2, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 31061223)

The question asked in both the thread OP and the later post #15 seems to be "if you no show for a segment then are subsequent segments cancelled?"

JClasstraveller May 2, 2019 7:08 pm

The problem is OP can’t “no show” at LAS as he will be “showing” in J!

BA may see he has 2 tickets on the same flight and cancel one of them.

Dave Noble May 2, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 31060237)
I'm pretty sure that checking that box prices the itinerary as full fare one way tickets (YY fare basis) so you could then use them in any order. So for a Vienna-Frankfurt-Amsterdam return ticket, you're buying four separate flexible one ways. Even then, if you simply no-show without cancelling, I think you loose the value of that segment.

There are no YY fares anymore

TabTraveller May 3, 2019 1:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31061273)
I am not saying they would tbh, but doesn't this condition say exactly that? Probably more relevant for long haul where a one way can easily be a lot more than booking a return and throwing the return leg away.

There would be no resulting transportation though, would there?

KARFA May 3, 2019 1:17 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 31062347)
There would be no resulting transportation though, would there?

The resulting transportation from your change is the one way vs the return you originally booked.

i don’t want to descend in to a protracted legal argument as this one has been done to death many times wrt to missing the last leg, but I think to say there is absolutely no right for ba to do it has a degree of certainty not supported by the facts :)