Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

Reply

Old Feb 24, 13, 11:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Derbyshire
Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,078
Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?
mclachlan4321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 11:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 6,042
Yes, the entire booking will be canceled if you are a 'no show' on the first or any subsequent segments.
Andriyko is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,810
As Andriyko said, yes, the entire booking is automatically cancelled and BA don't seem to tell you about it either.
matthandy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:04 am
  #4  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,035
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?
Unfortunately, that is what will happen indeed.

I usually book 2 x one ways for that very reason, unless the fare difference justifies a return booking, as is normally the case with long haul.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:08 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Derbyshire
Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,078
Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.
mclachlan4321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:12 am
  #6  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,035
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.
You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:27 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,796
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.
It seems an inefficient way to do things - but why not "grab" a ticket all the way back to MAN ?
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:54 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PIS
Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
Posts: 251
What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).
copperfield27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 12:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,002
Originally Posted by copperfield27 View Post
What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).
They are well within their right to charge you for a full fare single, should you cancel the return sector. However, in reality, I would just no show for the return sector if I knew I was not going to take it, and not inform BA.
rossmacd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 1:51 am
  #10  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 38,859
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.
Nope. The only time they re-instate sectors is if you provided an extremely good force majeure. I once had a flight from NCL to an obscure airport on NZ's South Island. Fog hit Newcastle, the first flight was cancelled, but I got to LHR with 2 hours to spare for my HKG sector, thanks to the train. The system had automatically cancelled the entire booking, there and back. In that 2 hours they (3 staff) just, only just, got me re-instated as far as Sydney, and then asked the back office to sort out the rest (which did happen). It was amazingly difficult to do.
nancypants likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 3:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MAN/BHX
Programs: ABBA
Posts: 6,026
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.
Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321
paulwuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 6:14 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: JUB
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321
If you're splitting hairs, AA don't have a CW cabin...
trooper and nancypants like this.
Dan72 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 6:21 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A metal nomad
Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Posts: 21,190
I think most airlines have this policy. Once my son and I missed our flight, and we were connecting. He had on pnr while my ticket was on 2. Thanks to HB's help we reroute s through another country... I guess it is too complicated to post the whole thing here. Anyway when we finally reached the connecting airport, my son's ticket was cancelled. We had to buy him a new one.
Yahillwe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 10:30 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: LON BCN SYD
Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, former BD *G, OZ Diamond Plus *G, VA Gold, AA, DL, EK, QF, Amex
Posts: 1,070
I was in this situation, booked a new return ticket with avios as I had 24 hours to spare. Then, the return flight from EDI was delayed, because one pax was somehow checked in twice... So on this occasion I need not have arranged a new ticket and could have just showed up with my original BP.
wyvern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 19, 9:34 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 59
Can anyone show me on BA.com where in writing it states that is you no show for outbound the return flight/entire booking is cancelled?
1210mk2 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread