Search

Malaysia Airlines Tax using avios

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Malaysia Airlines Tax using avios

Hello

I'm trying to use my avios to book a flight through BA with Malaysia Airlines from TPE to BKI on 1st May and return on 6th May. However, the amount of tax charged on the BA website seems to be very high!

When I look at the flights directly on the Malaysia Airlines website i get this information

Using XE.com it works out at about £71 in tax per person

However, when i book using Avios on the BA website i get this:

Then when you click on the info button for the tax I get this:

So it looks like they are charging BA Surcharges for a Malaysia Airlines flight, is that right? Maybe its correct?

Sorry if i'm being an idiot but was just very surprised at the cost of the flight, even when booking with avios. In total it only works out at about £80 cheaper to book with 40,000 avios for 2 people, than it is to just pay the full price on the Malaysia Airlines website

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:57 pm

I'd defer to the experts, but it does seem rather naughty of BA on the face of it.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Assuming 1 avio = 1p, 40,000 = £400.

Spend £400 to save £80? doesn't seem right to me...

Sounds like short-haul economy redemptions in Europe before Reward Flight Saver...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I can't see what's going on either:

The TWD 1860 Govt & Airport charges compute to c.£39.60 (BA show as £40). So that seems to co-ordinate well enough.

The TWD 4736 Fuel & Insurance surcharge computes to c.£104.20 (BA show as £154.60). Hmm that's £50 too high

Odd.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Hasn't BA always charged their fuel surcharge (when there is one), instead of partner's? I've saved a lot buying awards through Iberia plus, as their surcharge is much lower, than the same flight booked through BAEC.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
BA is assessing per segment fuel surcharges on MH awards. But they appear higher than BA charges for other carriers on the identical route.
Look at CX vs MH on KUL-HKG.

In business, many of the fuel surcharges are tolerable, but on a few, like kul-lax, I'd clearly take CX for less surcharge.

The surcharges make short and mid haul SEAsia awards on MH utterly worthless, since the cash fares on many of these routes are extremely low due to presence of an LCC. Look at SIN-KUL in Y, $50 fuel surcharge and various other taxes totaling $73 for an award that can be had w no miles for $79 or $32 if you will tolerate air Asia.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Definitely are

I replaced my CX flight with an MH flight between PEK and KUL. CX flight was via HKG. Both booked with Avios on ba.com. The "taxes" were definitely higher; from under GBP 100 to GBP 275-ish. Still went for the MH flight since it was direct, arrived earlier and took fewer Avios.

Compare this with my Avios redemption on AA on MIA-ATL where it was GBP1.60 in taxes.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Doesn't BAEC simply tack on whatever fuel surcharge the operating carrier charges on paid tickets? If MH's paid tickets have a higher YQ than CX's paid tickets on the same route, that would explain the disparity.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Definitely are

I replaced my CX flight with an MH flight between PEK and KUL. CX flight was via HKG. Both booked with Avios on ba.com. The "taxes" were definitely higher; from under GBP 100 to GBP 275-ish. Still went for the MH flight since it was direct, arrived earlier and took fewer Avios.

Compare this with my Avios redemption on AA on MIA-ATL where it was GBP1.60 in taxes.
That's because AA does not charge YQ domestically.

If BA charged it for AA domestic that would pretty much be fraud. It's borderline fraud now since they pocket the YQ for all partner airlines - they do not actually pay it to the partner airline.

Last edited by DWFI; Feb 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:07 pm

So am I understanding this correctly? BA charge a fuel surcharge for flights they aren't operating and retain this rather than pass this on too the carrier?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by lizban
So am I understanding this correctly? BA charge a fuel surcharge for flights they aren't operating and retain this rather than pass this on too the carrier?
Correct.

The fuel surcharge is kept by the ticketing airline and not the operating airline.

That is why, for example, BA imposes a fuel surcharge on AA transatlantic rewards even though AA does not impose a surcharge itself.

London to New York using AA miles on an AA plane incurs no surcharge. The same AA flight using BA miles incurs the surcharge.

I am interested in seeing what AA charges for Malaysia Airlines awards. If it is a nominal sum, it is another reason to build a balance with AA.

(Lizban - and, back to your BMI board post, that is why I wouldn't have given back those 75,000 miles to BMI! Because they were ripping you off on the fuel surcharge whenever you redeemed them!)
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Interestingly, BA don't charge any YQ on domestic redemptions with MH. I presume this is because they don't have a space in their YQ matrix for this category, whereas they do have some zone-based system that covers Taiwan to Borneo (which isn't, to the best of my knowledge, a route BA ply at the moment )
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
So basically what you are all saying is that the tax they are charging is correct?

It's a shame, was really looking forward to trying out MH
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I am interested in seeing what AA charges for Malaysia Airlines awards. If it is a nominal sum, it is another reason to build a balance with AA.

Provided this guy knows what he is talking about

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20166237-post9.html
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Yes looks like AA is not charging YQ:

KUL BLR $21.30
LAX KUL $30.50
LAX NRT $2.50
LHR KUL $198.50

All the above are for Y class. On the BLR route I still might take BA as they charge $143 and 10k miles as opposed to 22.5K miles AA wants. On the other routes AA is a clear winner.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
So isn't the best idea for an Avios collector to whack the things over to Iberia and book MH flights through Iberia Plus?

(when they get around to recognising MH as a OW member ...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.