Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Promo : 1,000 bonus Avios with American Express Currency Exchange 28 Jan - 31 Mar 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo : 1,000 bonus Avios with American Express Currency Exchange 28 Jan - 31 Mar 13

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
DirectionsThe bureau is located on the Departures level (Level 1) next to Leon Restaurant.Bureau opening timesOpen daily from 5:00am to 10:00pm.Please allow a minimum of four hours before collecting major currencies (EUR, USD, SGD, NOK, JPY, THB, ZAR, SEK, CNY, DKK, CAD, AUD, AED, EGP, HKD and Travellers Cheques), and 48 hours for all other currencies.Which terminal?Terminal 3 mainly deals with long-haul flights for US, South America and Asia. There is also a number of African and Australasian airlines operating from Terminal 3 as well as some flights to Europe.

Great offer in principle but 48 hours for airport collections for CZK....
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I've been trying to order dollars for home delivery since Friday morning and keep getting the following:

We are sorry the ordering confirmation system is temporarily unavailable, please try again later or alternatively visit one of our airport locations. Please be assured that you have not been charged for this transaction.
Has any been successful? If so, what card did you use and what was the amount?

I've tried both my BAPP and Plat amex cards for £501, £750 and £1000 and have got the message above each time.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC,Avis Preferred. Hilton Silver, Tesco Super Dooper Platinum.
Originally Posted by 21H21J
I've been trying to order dollars for home delivery since Friday morning and keep getting the following:

Has any been successful? If so, what card did you use and what was the amount?

I've tried both my BAPP and Plat amex cards for £501, £750 and £1000 and have got the message above each time.
Just ordered £301 worth of $. Used my BA Amex(the free one).Order went through no problem.Delivery should be on Tuesday.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI
On the BA/Avios.com mircosites, is there a way to prebook selling a CCY to buy GBP to earn Avios?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Ordered for pickup today, order not ready (after 15 minute wait).

Told to come back in 30 minutes.

Not happy
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently

You will be billed interest on the foreign currency purchases at 27.9% p.a. or monthly interest rate at 2.08% and a cash advance fee.
I ordered on Friday, but for delivery on Wednesday. They have not yet completed the charge on my amex gold, it's still in pending transactions, I guess they don't take it until they are counting the cash out and posting it.

If I get charged a cash advance fee now, I'll be real pissed off.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
Just a FYI about this and the whole charged as a purchase vs cash question,
I ordered some money using the link using my MBNA BMI Amex and it has gone through as cash, I confirmed this with the MBNA agent who called me as they were suspicious and put a block on the card for security.

Not sure how much I've been charged as it's still in pending transactions, but I think it's around 3% for cash advances minimum of £3 for the MBNA Amex.

It seems that not all Amex cards follow the same rules. Ah well you live and learn!

Just thought you guys might want to know
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by britishchris
I ordered some money using the link using my MBNA BMI Amex and it has gone through as cash, I confirmed this with the MBNA agent who called me as they were suspicious and put a block on the card for security.

Not sure how much I've been charged as it's still in pending transactions, but I think it's around 3% for cash advances minimum of £3 for the MBNA Amex.

It seems that not all Amex cards follow the same rules. Ah well you live and learn!

Thanks for that. I just paid with a Plat instead of my BAPP, just in case.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:00 am

Anyone who got charged as a purchase from amex gold care to check what it says as for the transaction details?

Mine has now gone through, and says the following:

04 Feb 2013 AMEX TRAVEL MONEY
AMEX TRAVEL MONEY
Finance Dannyrado £505.39

AMEX CCA
LONDON
EC3V 9EX
UNITED KINGDOM

CORPORATE EXPRESS CASH

Date Processed: 04 Feb 2013
Cardmember: Dannyrado
Finance > Banking Services

How do you tell if it's purchase or cash adv??
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by britishchris

No-one has ever said that a non-Amex Amex would go through as cash!

It needs to be an Amex-issued Amex card.

The MBNA cards simply use Amex for processing, everything else (inc what incurs a cash advance fee) is down to MBNA.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Thanks for that. I just paid with a Plat instead of my BAPP, just in case.
Whilst I admit I haven't tried a BAPP myself, numerous FT'ers have with no problems.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
No-one has ever said that a non-Amex Amex would go through as cash!
Oh I know, not blaming anyone on here, but thought people might want to know for reference that a non-Amex Amex would go through as cash
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Raffles

Whilst I admit I haven't tried a BAPP myself, numerous FT'ers have with no problems.
I know, but 1 MR is as good as 1.5 Avios with a decent transfer bonus, so I figured it was best to play it safe.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by razorbite
Just ordered £301 worth of $. Used my BA Amex(the free one).Order went through no problem.Delivery should be on Tuesday.
Clicking on the link. I see no metion of the 1000 bonus avios. Has this offer now gone?

Also if you arrange for home delivery, am I right in saying that you miss out on the worldpoints?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
It actually costs more for Avios

I was ordering $450 for collection and noticed that it actually costs more if you want the Avios.

on https://www.travelmoneynow.com/britishairways/uk/ 450 USD = 305.60 GBP.

On https://www.travelmoneynow.com/uk/ 450 USD = 303.56 GBP.

If it weren't for the 1000 Avios bonus, I probably wouldn't bother paying 2 quid extra for 300 avios. It may end up being good value but the idea of charging extra for giving some Avios without mentioning it upfront doesn't sit well with me.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by blindy
I was ordering $450 for collection and noticed that it actually costs more if you want the Avios.

on https://www.travelmoneynow.com/britishairways/uk/ 450 USD = 305.60 GBP.

On https://www.travelmoneynow.com/uk/ 450 USD = 303.56 GBP.

If it weren't for the 1000 Avios bonus, I probably wouldn't bother paying 2 quid extra for 300 avios. It may end up being good value but the idea of charging extra for giving some Avios without mentioning it upfront doesn't sit well with me.
You should be able to earn, for example, Avios for booking through the BA site, MRs for using your Amex card and BAA Worldpoints by presenting your card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.