Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List - worth asking for ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

I fly around 2,500 tier points a year, non-UK based. I have accumulated around 600k Avios over the last couple of years (only flying, almost entirely CW, no CC). I like many things about BA and BAEC, but the one thing that kills me is the almost complete lack of award availability in long-haul CW.

For this reason I keep M&M SEN status and fly my +100k miles on Star. The redemption availability with M&M pretty much gives me what I want and when I want it. However, BA fares are usually more interesting, I get my flat bed, and the recent changes in M&M have dramatically reduced the attractiveness of M&M.

I understand that if you are GGL BA will open up much more award availability, also in premium cabins.

With this in mind, is it worth asking BAEC to consider giving me GGL even though I may not quite (yet) meet the tier point criteria ? In reality that may just as well eliminate the final reason for me to pursue M&M, but I don't want to drop it before knowing what to expect from BAEC GGL.

Grateful for views and experiences.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by banzani
With this in mind, is it worth asking BAEC to consider giving me GGL even though I may not quite (yet) meet the tier point criteria ? In reality that may just as well eliminate the final reason for me to pursue M&M, but I don't want to drop it before knowing what to expect from BAEC GGL.
In my opinion it is not worth asking for it because you have not qualified, too far from qualifying, and you will not be given it.

2,500 TPs is too far off - it's still nearly 20% off the 3,000 x 2 years criteria and even 50% off the 5,000 in one year criteria.

As for what to expect, the benefits are listed here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

GGLs do not have unlimited access to having reward availability opened up where there is none. Unless you have 6,000 TPs in one membership year, it is just twice a year.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 23, 2013 at 6:03 am
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

If you dont ask, you dont get. I dont see what harm it could do. Just dont be offended if they say no
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I think you have zero chance of GGL based upon the accrual record you outline here. If you want GGL earn the Tp's like the rest of us.

Mrs LoM had 4.4k TP last year and is now on 1.6k a month into hyper year, that is an average 3k per annum, maybe she should ask for GGL now too rather than waiting to hit 3k TP this year. That would be a more legitimate ask in my book.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Worth a shot. Call Bremen and ask to be put through to the "Fachvorgesetzte". A few years ago that was a very helpful lady who managed to get me the shiny Gold card based on flights that were booked but not yet flown. I was fairly impressed with the no-nonsense business attitude she had (she essentially wanted to see upcoming CW/F tickets and was concerned about revenue rather than counting tier points).
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: MUCCI
Hi there,
My impression is that BA in general as pretty strict about qualification criteria and there is little wriggle room. GGL is especially tight.
You can ask but I doubt that you will get anywhere!
Regards,
FD.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by sschwenk
Worth a shot. Call Bremen and ask to be put through to the "Fachvorgesetzte". A few years ago that was a very helpful lady who managed to get me the shiny Gold card based on flights that were booked but not yet flown. I was fairly impressed with the no-nonsense business attitude she had (she essentially wanted to see upcoming CW/F tickets and was concerned about revenue rather than counting tier points).
I believe there is a little more flexibility on Gold/Silver renewals than GGL and also based on a potential 2-week membership year extension but I have not yet heard of a grant of a GGL when someone had never met the requirement yet - and in this case it is so far off the requirement and also in the absence of an extenuating circumstance.

The only ever instance of a complimentary GGL (renewal, not an upgrade) was for a very high value GGL with a truly exceptional and very extenuating circumstance but that is all. I have never heard of a complimentary grant of a new GGL membership.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 23, 2013 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have never heard of a complimentary grant of a new GGL membership.
Back in 2006 (or whenever it was) this board was in a very rare case of agreement that it was impossible I'd get comped to Gold without some major corporate account somewhere in the background. I personally hold it with Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you".
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:16 am

Back in 2006 (or whenever it was) this board was in a very rare case of agreement that it was impossible I'd get comped to Gold without some major corporate account somewhere in the background. I personally hold it with Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you".
Based on your description it was based on future bookings though.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:16 am

I have never heard of a complimentary grant of a new GGL membership.
Just putting my devil's advocate hat on: anyone who did get the GGL rules bent in their favour would very likely choose to keep quiet about it. BA likewise.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:28 am

Based on your description it was based on future bookings though.
2.5k tier points through CW bookings is a lot of £££ and, especially from a Euro member, who clearly has other options, might be worth a little extra love from BA.

Are they going to do it? Probably not. But they will definitely not do it if the OP doesn't ask.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Just putting my devil's advocate hat on: anyone who did get the GGL rules bent in their favour would very likely choose to keep quiet about it. BA likewise.
Exactly.

In my case I think that I am now on the course to fully legit qualification, I can say that they " accelerated" my ascent from gold to GGL...BUT

I restarted flying ABA Extensively in late 2011
I did attain Gold from Blue in 4 months flat and
I was gold for over 10 years before I exited BA competely in 2009 and 2010 the two years when BA collapsed.. ( yes i would exit again if standards dropped as they I'd then.... I expect BA to be loyal to my money, not my money to their product)

So all they did at the 2500TP mark last September, was took a call in my favour.. Thus they earned my loyalty back. And that of my organization as I control the travel function. ....

May I add that their call has been accurate.. A the end of my Qualifying
Period on March 5, in fact a month odd before, I will be a tier point
qualified GGL

Great upgrades by the way as GGL, pity the first class product is so underwhelming for me on BA that I've considered refusing an UG with 62K waiting for me....

on EK or LX I'd be over the moon with this deferential preference!

Last edited by rathin100; Jan 23, 2013 at 7:49 am
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
2.5k tier points through CW bookings is a lot of £££ and, especially from a Euro member, who clearly has other options, might be worth a little extra love from BA.
But they do already get a Gold card and a GUF2 of course, which would allow paying for WT+ or booking WT+ with miles and then sitting in CW free of any extra fare!

I think that is good enough for 2.5k TPs.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; Amex Platinum
By all means ask, but as LTN Phobia has already mentioned, you're actually quite a long way short of qualifying for GGL. Just don't be surprised if BA politely declines.

Could you move some of your flying from Star Alliance to OneWorld to help reach the threshold?

MAN-FF
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting abotut getting a Gold card early - I've enough flights booked to easily make Gold now but was going to be patient and wait another 5 weeks to properly qualify - the temptation to ring them and ask them about this is now there dammit!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.