Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled reward: Avios refund time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Cancelled reward: Avios refund time

How long does it generally take for Aviata to be refunded when one cancels a reward?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Recently both times I've cancelled the Avios have been refunded within minutes. Once online, once on the phone.

Some people have referred to having to fill in online cancellation claims, with a resulting delay. But I've never had one of those.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by BasilBush
Recently both times I've cancelled the Avios have been refunded within minutes. Once online, once on the phone.
Same here.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Meh
I was waiting 4 weeks, called up the exec club and they manually put it through. Got the miles straight away and the cash some 2 weeks later. I would call otherwise you might be in limbo for a while.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold Virgin Atlantic Gold
I cancelled an Avios flight in October and the miles and money credited immediately, however I had to cancel next months Avios flights (grrr) and after 10 days nothing had refunded so I called BAEC and the agent manually refunded the Avios and said the money for the taxes etc could take up to 8 weeks! I think I will call again when the snow has cleared - guess they wil be a little busy right now. The strange thing is when I cancelled in October everything did refund at once but now it's dragging on.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:04 pm

I recently cancelled, avios refunded immediately, 4 weeks for the money though
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
I recently cancelled, avios refunded immediately, 4 weeks for the money though
I cancelled one a couple of weeks ago avios recredited immediately, cash I am told will be up to 10 weeks.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:41 pm

Prior to about six months ago, when I cancelled redemption bookings, Avios and cash used to be refunded automatically. Very efficient. However, since around last September, things have not been smooth. On cancellation, Avios have been credited but not cash. At other times, cash has been credited but not the Avios points. And at other times, neither Avios or cash. A quick call to BA in Bremen rectifies things every time though.

Now, I no longer cancel bookings but just shift their dates online. Much less hassle. As long as I need to be in the future somewhere that I was supposed to be prior to then ;-)

Last edited by abitwild; Jan 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by abitwild
Now, I no longer cancel bookings but just shift their dates online. Much less hassle. As long as I need to be in the future somewhere that I was supposed to be prior to now ;-)
I was just thinking I should have rinsed the recent Avios sale a bit more and made another couple of DXB and LCA bookings

Is it only the dates you can change?, or can you change destination too providing it's in the same price band?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:49 pm

Avios and 241cert were reinstated as soon as I logged off and back on. Taxes etc. refunded to my Chase visa inside 72 hours, less the $80 online cancel fee for two tix. Pretty good overall.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
I was just thinking I should have rinsed the recent Avios sale a bit more and made another couple of DXB and LCA bookings

Is it only the dates you can change?, or can you change destination too providing it's in the same price band?
Online, you can only change the date or time, not the destination. Also, I now always book redemption flights with a "stopover" in London, even if I am connecting on the same day. Downside: minimum connection time is 100 minutes. Upside: both segments can be rebooked individually.

Last edited by abitwild; Jan 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Recent Avios reward cancellation by Mrs tooblue:
Cancelled: 22/11/12
Refund to card: 30/11/12
Avios reinstated: 17/01/13
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
BA have been pretty good when I've cancelled and within a few days (sometimes sooner) I've had the points reinstated and a refund to my card.

Cash refunds for cancellations are, however, a very different matter.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sfernando
Avios and 241cert were reinstated as soon as I logged off and back on. Taxes etc. refunded to my Chase visa inside 72 hours, less the $80 online cancel fee for two tix. Pretty good overall.
Thanks for the tip to log off. Didn't figure that one out.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Avios plus taxes - right away. The co-payment - after a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.