Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should status be based more directly on revenue ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should status be based more directly on revenue ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Looking at Hotel schemes Hilton seems to be a good model in that it recognises multiple forms of loyalty based upon nights, stays and spend. Adding spend as an additional dimension probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Excellent comments so far ^ FWIW I'm not personally advocating this approach, just looking to stimulate some discussion around the concepts of loyalty, value, etc, and how to measure these fairly and objectively.

Shamelessly cribbed from the FT blog noted in my OP:

However, there are still questions to be answered with this developing story, including but not limited to:

Will dollar spending thresholds roll over as well?
Are taxes and fees included as part of the spend?
How would spending with flights on joint venture partner airlines — if any — and SkyTeam partner airlines count?
Would the spend on code-share flights count towards Medallion Qualification Dollars?
Would it matter if it is a ticket coded by Delta Air Lines or a ticket coded by a different airline?
What exactly will be the threshold dollar amounts per Medallion elite level?
Are the above reported changes supposedly only the beginning — in other words, will there be more adverse changes to the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program that have not been mentioned as of yet?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by dunk
Excellent comments so far ^ FWIW I'm not personally advocating this approach, just looking to stimulate some discussion around the concepts of loyalty, value, etc, and how to measure these fairly and objectively.
cough.....

Status for credit card spend?

cough, cough
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems pretty fair to me.

Many loyalty programmes reward you for the amount of money you spend rather than on how many times you visit the store. Seems to work for them so why shouldn't it work for the airlines?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
cough.....

Status for credit card spend?

cough, cough
Go on then, expand your point ...

There is an argument that airlines have multiple revenue streams, and flying people around the world is but one of those ... <ducks for cover>
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I could see some merit in it. I fly Y for work as its company policy, I buy flexi Y fares as I don't stay Saturday nights, for the east coast (where I go a lot) I pay £1500 or thereabouts and get 140 TPs, if I stayed Saturday and flew discount W it would cost half that and I would get more TPs.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joely
I could see some merit in it. I fly Y for work as its company policy, I buy flexi Y fares as I don't stay Saturday nights, for the east coast (where I go a lot) I pay £1500 or thereabouts and get 140 TPs, if I stayed Saturday and flew discount W it would cost half that and I would get more TPs.
I think we've done the "how much did your Silver/Gold/GGL/CCR status cost" thing relatively recently, but certainly, my TPs average out at a tenner each

So, that is:

Bronze = GBP3K
Silver = GBP6K
Gold = GBP15K

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:55 pm

I think we've done the "how much did your Silver/Gold/GGL/CCR status cost" thing relatively recently, but certainly, my TPs average out at a tenner each

So, that is:

Bronze = GBP3K
Silver = GBP6K
Gold = GBP15K

Flying my aforementioned £1500 Y fares that works out about the same.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joely
Flying my aforementioned £1500 Y fares that works out about the same.
Sorry. I omitted the all important "too" in my reply

Before it was renamed, the TP Run thread intimated a figure of GBP1.25 per TP. So we're only paying about eight times too much ...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:05 pm

Sorry. I omitted the all important "too" in my reply

Before it was renamed, the TP Run thread intimated a figure of GBP1.25 per TP. So we're only paying about eight times too much ...
Technically my employer is paying 8 times too much!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I think it is an industry trend to filter out the "higher value customers". DL doing it now, NZ has been doing it for years. LH has recently moved to splitting up the earning numbers for full fare/discounted business tickets. All ways to measure who makes the airline more money.

But: If status is reserved for the people on full fare J tickets you might ask what the point of status is? Most of the S/G benefits are already included in the J ticket. If the meaning of status is reduced to a rare J->F op-up then I wouldn't bother...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

So, that is:

Bronze = GBP3K
Silver = GBP6K
Gold = GBP15K

Scary numbers. My Silver on this renewal will have cost me <£2k.
I accept that might be regarded as too cheap. Sorry
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Go on then, expand your point ...

There is an argument that airlines have multiple revenue streams, and flying people around the world is but one of those ... <ducks for cover>
Done to death......11 pages worth here....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...pular-not.html
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Scary numbers. My Silver on this renewal will have cost me <£2k.
I accept that might be regarded as too cheap. Sorry
I agree - £2,000 is about what I expect to pay to renew silver. No apology.

Mind you, I do it for 3 people.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
i use LHR as a hub as i am ex-NCL.
Hence I use BA at the moment.
I will never get Gold so Silver is fine realistically for me for my needs.

I could actually reach similar level with Skyteam via AMS on KL metal for a lot less in terms of expenditure. In fact 10 fewer flights per annum.

I would have reached that level on KLM already this year based on mileage if i'd flown with them, but i'm currently scraping round last minute for a TP run to maintain silver on BA.

So if they up the threshold, I will probably not be alone in looking for a more accommodating FF program.

it's a difficult call BA will have to make. I'm sure they will want to keep all the elites on their massive expense accounts away from those awful TP run plebs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.