Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T1 domestic to T5 domestic without a passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T1 domestic to T5 domestic without a passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Dan72
But that's what happened here. They had to prove their identity (without a passport).
DUB has a similar philosophy for CTA arrivals. All funnelled through normal immigration, and though no passport is required you do have to be able to prove residence of the CTA.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
And in Belfast the other day, my domestic flight was met in the baggage hall by a combination of UKBF, Customs and Dept of Agriculture!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: BMI Silver, BA Silver
Originally Posted by skipness1E
One assumes they have a digital copy of your passport on file which, again the dangers of assuming, would have your face on it. Hence, a quick database query under name and DOB and hey presto. It's not actually rocket science.
The odd thing is that I know my passport number, I quote it often enough! They cannot see a photo of you on their database so cannot confirm your identity through those means! You would think that it wouldn't be rocket science to sort of a database like that!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:49 am

"I must admit, I don't think I'd be able to keep my cool if I'd followed the signs correctly and was being refused entry to the country I didn't know I'd left!"

Thanks, I might consider dropping an e-mail to Simon Calder - it's clearly some sort of bad joke, and to think that it's still happening!

By the time the flight was boarding, I almost couldn't keep my cool. I was due into work the next morning and I knew my boss would be less than impressed! Although with this sort of story, he'd know that I couldn't have made it up!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mad_rich
Another thought:

The OP didn't leave the country physically, legally, figuratively or ceremonially. What he did was, quite reasonably, follow a connection stream that inadvertently left him indistinguishable from international arrivals. What jurisdiction does UKBA have over him?

If he simply stuck two fingers up at the officer and walked through the immigration desk, where would he be stopped, and how? What would be the consequences? Sure, the big men with guns would come, but what can they do?
Once back at T1, I almost considered this! I'd flown in from Belfast not Beirut so I was getting annoyed and very tired and wondered what could they do if anything if I just walked through. I'm sure I'd be arrested, but I don't know that they could charge me with?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by paulwelch101
I'm sure I'd be arrested, but I don't know that they could charge me with?
Exactly. "Not following the directions of a UKBA Officer* who has no jurisdiction over your situation" is not an offence. I wonder what the offence would be...

* Are the Officers? Or agents, or something else?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
It's ironic really as the jobsworth inspector said that we could be journalists showing undercover how easy it is to get access to the UK!
Not that I doubt for a second that the inspector was a jobsworth, he is theoretically right that this could be used as a way to breach the UK border illegally.

e.g. Say you live in some country where it is not easy to get a VISA to visit UK. You could book a flight from BHD to LHR, print boarding pass for this flight you have no intention to take. You then fly from your home country to LHR T1, follow flight connections to T5 and claim at T5 border that you simply flew in from BHD and show your printed boarding pass as proof! Of course you would have to be pretty convincing to get away with this and still have a pretty decent fake UK driver license or other ID but it is possible.

There is however a far easier way to breach UK border illegally at Gatwick, where people flying from the Rep of Ireland can bypass the border by showing their boarding pass, which the staff at Gatwick could never know was really used or just printed at home in some far off country before the person flew to Gatwick.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
At LGW there's no escaping the security scan, no matter what you do. If going on to domestic you have to leave airside and re-enter too.
Errr ... what?!

So if you arrive at LGW on a flight from, say, the Schengen area, and you are connecting to, say, MAN (or JER, or ...) you have to exit airside (as if you were going to collect bags and end your journey there?) then immediately turn round and go back through check-in and security as if you were taking your first flight of the day?

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Nor, if domestic to domestic, do you have to show your passport in that particular situation, since there's a separate Flight Connections for Domestic which does not involve the UK Border.
A separate Flight Connections for Domestic arrivals, to clarify.

Regardless of where you're going to, if you have arrived off a domestic flight and your connection is within T5, you get spat out into the terminal without interference from UKBA or security.

However, domestic > domestic is still sufficiently rare that you might have to remind the agent at the BP check to take a photograph, just like INT>DOM connections or domestic pax originating at T5 would. If they don't, you may well have the same problem, and be indistinguishable from international pax as far as UKBA are concerned.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Not that I doubt for a second that the inspector was a jobsworth, he is theoretically right that this could be used as a way to breach the UK border illegally.

e.g. Say you live in some country where it is not easy to get a VISA to visit UK. You could book a flight from BHD to LHR, print boarding pass for this flight you have no intention to take. You then fly from your home country to LHR T1, follow flight connections to T5 and claim at T5 border that you simply flew in from BHD and show your printed boarding pass as proof! Of course you would have to be pretty convincing to get away with this and still have a pretty decent fake UK driver license or other ID but it is possible.

There is however a far easier way to breach UK border illegally at Gatwick, where people flying from the Rep of Ireland can bypass the border by showing their boarding pass, which the staff at Gatwick could never know was really used or just printed at home in some far off country before the person flew to Gatwick.
Why is there no means to verify if a BP was actually used? BA can do it for the very mundane reason to avoid crediting Avios for flights you don't actually use, why can't UKBA get access to the same info?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Why is there no means to verify if a BP was actually used? BA can do it for the very mundane reason to avoid crediting Avios for flights you don't actually use, why can't UKBA get access to the same info?
I'm sure it is technically possible but it would prob be difficult and expensive to implement. I can say from doing it many times that at Gatwick, when arriving from Rep. of Ireland in South Terminal, you bypass border and passport checks by handing your boarding pass to staff member. This boarding pass for a Ryanair flight is little more that a bit of torn A4 paper and the staff member rarely even looks at it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:38 am

However, domestic > domestic is still sufficiently rare that you might have to remind the agent at the BP check to take a photograph, just like INT>DOM connections or domestic pax originating at T5 would. If they don't, you may well have the same problem, and be indistinguishable from international pax as far as UKBA are concerned.
Why is it that at MAN, for example, they don't take your photo whereas as LHR and LGW they do? Always wondered this!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
If there were, simply get an accomplice to fly BHD-LHR for real, print 2 boarding passes. Accomplice exits Heathrow after the flight lands.

Exactly. "Not following the directions of a UKBA Officer* who has no jurisdiction over your situation" is not an offence. I wonder what the offence would be...

* Are the Officers? Or agents, or something else?
Breach of the peace?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by christianharris
Why is it that at MAN, for example, they don't take your photo whereas as LHR and LGW they do? Always wondered this!
Because, without spelling out all the details, there is a risk of illegal immigration at LHR T1 / T5 and LGW, which there isn't at Manchester, due to their different Flight Connections procedures. (I know, there are other loopholes, but I guess we best not encourage it).
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:47 am

Because, without spelling out all the details, there is a risk of illegal immigration at LHR T1 / T5 and LGW, which there isn't at Manchester, due to their different Flight Connections procedures. (I know, there are other loopholes, but I guess we best not encourage it).
FWIW, I'm not a big fan of security through obscurity... I think we can assume that by the time anything such as this gets posted (or even alluded to) here, those who actually might want to exploit it have been aware of it for a very, very long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.