Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by yabadoo
My immediate family is traveling long haul in WTP on BA. I am OneWorld Emerald, family has no status, I am not traveling with them. Is there anyway that BA would be willing to let me choose complimentary seats for them just after booking even though I am not on the itinerary and flying with them?
The short answer is no. Probably that is the long answer too! If there are young children involved then they will be sat next to an adult. Otherwise they can select a seat at T-24. Normally Theoretical Seating will kick in and the group will be kept together if booked on one PNR.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by yabadoo
My immediate family is traveling long haul in WTP on BA. I am OneWorld Emerald, family has no status, I am not traveling with them. Is there anyway that BA would be willing to let me choose complimentary seats for them just after booking even though I am not on the itinerary and flying with them?
Unfortunately no. You need to be travelling on the same flight with them. Though you need not be on the same booking.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:18 am

My boyfriend and I are travelling LGW - BGI on 5 Dec in WT.
We return on 17 Dec in WTP.

I am a silver member, he is blue, but the booking was made through my account for us both.

Currently on the outbound we are not seated together but I selected 15B and 16C as both have direct aisle access. I have a mobility issue and cannot climb out or over someone that easily due to a hip problem (will be recovering from hip surgery at that time also) and he is a wide shouldered chap so neither of us want to be in a middle seat. When is it likely that i can select the bassinet seat 15A? It is greyed out at the moment.

I am less worried about the return as there are just 2 seats on the edges of WTP, so less of a problem.

Thank you!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've upgraded self and partner to WT+ from WT and noticed that they've included the seat selection charges from WT (I selected and confirmed exit row seats, and received receipt for them 3 days before I upgraded) on the same confirmation. Have applied for a refund, but seems odd - anyone have any ideas?

**The price of your seat selection at GBP 232.00 is included in the payment total.**

Ta
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

I booked seats in CW for a transatlantic flight for myself and 4 family members. Having no one-world status at the time, I left the FF# field blank and had the option to purchase seat selection.
Since the time of booking, I have obtained Plat status on AA, which would be Silver One World, and as I understand I should be able to immediately select seats for everyone in my party.
I updated my BA booking with my AA number, but it still shows a fee associated with seat selection. the flight is still about 2 months out.
Is this a bug with BA.com not recognizing my AA/one world status?
Or is there some other step I need to go through to link my AA status with One World?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
Or is there some other step I need to go through to link my AA status with One World?
There may be some delays in this area, in terms of updating your status. If I were you I would call up, the agents can check your status and get you the seats you require.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ljcharie
When is it likely that i can select the bassinet seat 15A? It is greyed out at the moment.
If it isn't already taken then you may see it become available from about 72 hours before departure.

Originally Posted by desti
..they've included the seat selection charges ...on the same confirmation... anyone have any ideas?
The receipt generating system is flaky. It shouldn't mean you've been charged again, just that it picked up the previous transaction as still needing to have a receipt sent.

Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
Since the time of booking, I have obtained Plat status on AA, which would be Silver [Sapphire] One World, and as I understand I should be able to immediately select seats for everyone in my party.
I updated my BA booking with my AA number, but it still shows a fee associated with seat selection. the flight is still about 2 months out.
No other step you should need to take. If you upgrade in status was very recent, it might not have filtered through to other databases yet. Try giving it a week and seeing if it resolves itself. If it still doesn't work, try calling and ask them to delete and re-enter your AA number.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA

No other step you should need to take. If you upgrade in status was very recent, it might not have filtered through to other databases yet. Try giving it a week and seeing if it resolves itself. If it still doesn't work, try calling and ask them to delete and re-enter your AA number.
Thank you. I called the US support number and spent about an hour going around and around with the first call rep who told me that only BA Gold and One World equivalents and above get free seat selection from time of booking. I informed him otherwise and eventually asked for the supervisor. After another 30 minutes of holding and going through the same process, I remembered this note to ask them to delete and re-enter my AA number. Once she did that, magically she could see that there were no longer any fees associated with my seat selection and I could see the same on BA.com
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Will the phone/web team combine two bookings that start in different cities, for seat selection purposes? My mom might join us on a trip, where we connect at her home airport. I am able to select seats as OW Sapphire and it would be nice to sit together although not super critical.
PHX-PHL-LHR
vs
PHL-LHR

If not I might go for an AA-operated flight instead. Possible contributing factors: Same last name, business class, and it will be a vacation package booking from AAvacations.com
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
Will the phone/web team combine two bookings that start in different cities, for seat selection purposes? My mom might join us on a trip, where we connect at her home airport. I am able to select seats as OW Sapphire and it would be nice to sit together although not super critical.
PHX-PHL-LHR
vs
PHL-LHR

If not I might go for an AA-operated flight instead. Possible contributing factors: Same last name, business class, and it will be a vacation package booking from AAvacations.com
No, you can't merge bookings. Seat selection across on to separate bookings is a OWE/gold benefit so that won't work either.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by KARFA
No, you can't merge bookings. Seat selection across on to separate bookings is a OWE/gold benefit so that won't work either.
Alright, thanks for the info.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Wondering if any can help, is there a complete list of the BA ticket classes on the forum anywhere explaining what differs between the classes?

Basically i ask here as i bought some tickets which turned out to be H class (if i recall correctly), and I was surprised to be able to choose my seat 48 hours before, presumably this means i had a semi flexible ticket but I can't really find anywhere what H means.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I just found some basic info under "BA Ticket Selling Class". Although it doesn't really go into details on what semi flexible means. Not sure whether the terms and conditions differ between different tickets sold in the same ticket selling class, or is it the ticket selling class that defines these conditions?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
A friend and I are traveling on BA from LHR-HEL on Saturday. He's oneworld Ruby (nothing special, I know) and was able to select and exit row seat for free.

If we are on separate bookings, is he able to select a seat for me as well by calling? I read some contradicting things. I'm on an Avios ticket, he's on a paid fare.

Edit - Just read that he could only do that if he were oneworld Gold. Oh well... I'm guessing there's no way to combine the two bookings so guess I'll just pay.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
A friend and I are traveling on BA from LHR-HEL on Saturday. He's oneworld Ruby (nothing special, I know) and was able to select and exit row seat for free.

If we are on separate bookings, is he able to select a seat for me as well by calling? I read some contradicting things. I'm on an Avios ticket, he's on a paid fare.

Edit - Just read that he could only do that if he were oneworld Gold. Oh well... I'm guessing there's no way to combine the two bookings so guess I'll just pay.
no way to do it as you say, and merging bookings isn't possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.