Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Expert Flyer shows row 1 is empty:

However, it will be reserved to Gold status holders until approximately T-72 hours, at which point it will open up if no-one has taken it by that point. When I was silver I had considerable success getting Row 1 at that time just by setting a reminder in my phone for the time they opened up.
Thank you so much for your help and your quick reply - really appreciated!
Old May 14, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
No problem. I had attached a pic of the seat map but oddly it is only showing up on the PC I posted from, I can't see it on another one. Not sure what's happened there

But all seats in Row 1 are currently free anyway.

Old May 15, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Can AA Gold choose seats before 24 hours?
Old May 15, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rkh29
Can AA Gold choose seats before 24 hours?
AA Gold = OW Ruby, and Rubies are entitled to free seat pre-allocation from 7 days before departure (to the second).
Old May 17, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
AA Gold = OW Ruby, and Rubies are entitled to free seat pre-allocation from 7 days before departure (to the second).
Does the status AA........show status after AA number? Yesterday I have called BA twice to get Ruby after my AA #. They said it was there but also to all AA. AA said it was there but a day later when I go to Manage Booking it still just has my AA # with no status and saying seat selection 24 hours. is there a long lag before it shows up on Manage Booking?
Old May 17, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
According to

ba.com/seating
(refunds section)
  • If you booked a British Airways operated flight through another airline, e.g. Iberia, and you change your flight, you will not receive a refund for the reserved seats and you will need to reserve and pay for seats again on the new flight.
So I don't think it's looking promising.
Update......

A pleasant surprise.

Just received an e-mail from BA informing me that my charges for advance seating assignments in PE will be refunded in full.

Old May 20, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Avios
Row 1 PEK-LHR

Hi Everybody,
I’ve booked a 241 today from Heathrow to Hong Kong in Club World, and then Beijing to Heathrow in First.

Got the seats I want in Club for the outbound, but cannot get row 1 to select for the return journey. It probably doesn’t make a difference in reality but I’m thinking with the toilets at the rear of the cabin that row 1 is quietest.

Both my wife and I are BA Gold.

Any ideas why it won’t work - I can select any other seat in the cabin and it works fine...

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
A question for the experts.

Am BA Silver which gives me free seat selection on flights categorised as long haul at time of booking apart from exit and bulkhead in economy.

Reading the policy at the beginning of the thread, am I to understand correctly that if flying on a Y bucket ticket, I should be able to select an exit row seat free of charge?

Currently in MMB, it still wants to charge me £46.00 to select an exit row seat. Flying DME-LHR in a few weeks on a mid-haul A321 and it’s filling up fast so can’t rely on the usual TS that has reliably stuck on these previous flights on this occasion.

Would this be be a phone call job or try and select on MMB and see if it corrects itself after selecting (if I’m correct in my understanding of the policy).

Thanks

S
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Am BA Silver which gives me free seat selection on flights categorised as long haul at time of booking apart from exit and bulkhead in economy.

Reading the policy at the beginning of the thread, am I to understand correctly that if flying on a Y bucket ticket, I should be able to select an exit row seat free of charge?
On long haul only golds/ggls get free exit rows in WT. At 14 days or less you can pay to get an exit seat if you want. LHR-DME is deemed a long haul route. On short haul you could get an exit row seat for free as a silver. This is the relevant section in post 3.

All other customers (including Silver and Bronze Executive Club card holders and oneworld equivalents) wishing to request an exit seat in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus can pay for an exit row seat from 14 days until 4 days before their flight, subject to availability. On short-haul, exit row seat assignments are free to oneworld Sapphire members from time of booking and from 7 days prior to departure for oneworld Ruby members.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:01 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by KARFA
On long haul only golds/ggls get free exit rows in WT. At 14 days or less you can pay to get an exit seat if you want. LHR-DME is deemed a long haul route. On short haul you could get an exit row seat for free as a silver. This is the relevant section in post 3.
With it now. It was the mention of full fare Y that was throwing me off.

S
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:14 pm

I recently booked a first class award ticket with Alaska for LAX-LHR-LIS, and had no problem selecting seats on BA.com for the LAX-LHR segment, however the LHR-LIS segment indicates I can't select seats (in Club Europe) until 24 hours before departure. Is this correct, or should I contact BA for assistance?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gstork
I recently booked a first class award ticket with Alaska for LAX-LHR-LIS, and had no problem selecting seats on BA.com for the LAX-LHR segment, however the LHR-LIS segment indicates I can't select seats (in Club Europe) until 24 hours before departure. Is this correct, or should I contact BA for assistance?
This is correct. Free seat selection in CE is for status holders or for those in J selling class (which a reward doesn’t book in TP). Tbh I wouldn’t be too bothered about seat selection for your CE flight.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Quick urgent question - i've a friend and her 15 year old travelling on today's Bangkok BA 009 service in Y. They are on separate PNR's - didn't pay to reserve seats in advance, and now find themselves sat away from each other.

Only 1 seat left showing that doesn't help seat them together.

Are there seats left at check-in for the possibility of them being sat together at LHR by agents there?

Secondly - availability is W8 E3 TC Y1 - would their best bet of being sat together actually to approach the ticket desk and ask about paid upgrades to WTP? They would pay if reasonable.

Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Quick urgent question - i've a friend and her 15 year old travelling on today's Bangkok BA 009 service in Y. They are on separate PNR's - didn't pay to reserve seats in advance, and now find themselves sat away from each other.

Only 1 seat left showing that doesn't help seat them together.

Are there seats left at check-in for the possibility of them being sat together at LHR by agents there?

Secondly - availability is W8 E3 TC Y1 - would their best bet of being sat together actually to approach the ticket desk and ask about paid upgrades to WTP? They would pay if reasonable.

Thanks.
I don't have definite answers, maybe someone more knowledgeable will do so, but I would make the following comments

There will be some seats which are being blocked for allocation at the airport, and the current seat map indicates some of those are together. So getting to the airport as early as possible and checking in there might yield a positive result, if they ask if they could be seated together. The seats are likely to be at the back, but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

WTP cabin is not full, and there are middle pairs available. I don't know what the likely prices are, but for 2 passengers, I'd have thought around 500 and up based on the AUP Wiki, so that's a lot of cash if the aim is to just sit together.

Lastly, they could always politely ask onboard if people would be prepared to swap. Everyone has different views on this, some think even asking is out of order. Fwiw, my own view is that you should never request a swap if you know the one you are giving up (that is, asking someone to take) is inferior but if you're offering an equal/better seat, then a single polite request with clear communication that a favour is being asked seems acceptable.

Current seating maps attached:

Sam Bee likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Thank you BB, i'll feed that back as they will be getting to the airport any minute now. They maybe prepared to pay for WTP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.