Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying 100,000 avios

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Buying 100,000 avios

First post here. I have the opportunity to purchase 100,000 avios for £1000. Trying to understand/get my head round if this is a deal I shouldn't pass up.

I do use lots of reward flight to short haul european destinations mainly and my current points are almost used up.

So my question is - is buying BA Avios worth it - especially as this price?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
1p/Avios is probably a reasonable price point, but only if you're buying from a legitimate source.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Buying 100,000 avios

You can only buy 19k I think per year.

So it would suggest its from someone who doesn't want to use them ? Maybe a chase card holder ?

Anyway, that's neither here nor there, welcome to the BA board.

cs
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Welcome to FT.

Be aware that redemptions on British Airways attract fees and surcharges.

The best use of Avios on BA is to UUA (Upgrade Using Avios), from WTP to CW or CW to F, or to redeem within Europe and pay a fixed fee per flight.

So the question really is, what do you intend to use the 100,000 Avios for? That will determine their value.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Offer them £300, then up it to £500 if you have to
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Welcome to FT!

My gut feeling is very divided as to whether I would buy it at this price or not - so I guess it is a fair price. But as Swiss Tony has said - careful where you're buying from, this may be in violation of the T&Cs in which case you could end up with £1000 less in the bank and no avios in the EC.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:41 pm

Too expensive. I'd say they are worth $1000 USD, not £.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I wouldn't hesitate to purchase 100 000 Avios for £1000. A long haul F costs 75000 Avios
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I thought it was against the BAEC/Avios T&C to buy/sell them (except for buying them from BAEC/Avios)?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
For bog standard Club World redemptions, they are worth £750 max.

Take NYC, 80000 Avios plus £500 in taxes. You could buy that seat in a sale for £1199 or less, so well under 1p per Avios. And the cash ticket earns Avios back.

Use them with a 241 or to upgrade WTP tickets? Yes, you'll get over 1p. EU short haul? You will just about get 1p, but would be better paying cash of course as availability is not restricted.

If you want to use them in the US where there are no taxes, 1p is a decent deal.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Raffles
For bog standard Club World redemptions, they are worth £750 max.

Take NYC, 80000 Avios plus £500 in taxes. You could buy that seat in a sale for £1199 or less, so well under 1p per Avios. And the cash ticket earns Avios back.

Use them with a 241 or to upgrade WTP tickets? Yes, you'll get over 1p. EU short haul? You will just about get 1p, but would be better paying cash of course as availability is not restricted.

If you want to use them in the US where there are no taxes, 1p is a decent deal.
Indeed, and MIA was £950 in J in the sale last year.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
It's really down to when you want to / have to travel as to their cost.

Sure you can pick up a £1200 CW seat in a sale, but you might be travellling out of the period and seats are £2k+ minimum.

I'm flying to BOS in 2 weeks on a £460 Y ticket as WT+ was over £1800 that week (£768 the following week). If there were any CW redemption availabilty, £1345 for the Avios and taxes would be a bargain so to speak.
I've also just spent 4500 Avios + £15 in tax on a MAN-LHR-AMS flight. Same flight was priced up at over £200 in Dom/ET and £500 in Dom/CE. Bargain there in my opinion.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I thought it was against the BAEC/Avios T&C to buy/sell them (except for buying them from BAEC/Avios)?
It is against the rules. Described by the Executive Club as a "fundamental breach" of the T&C. Proceed at your peril
19.1. Except as otherwise provided by British Airways and communicated to the Member, Avios points are not transferable (whether from person to person, account to account, statement to statement, card to card or otherwise) other than in accordance with the Conditions of Use relating to Transfer Avios and cannot be bequeathed, devised or otherwise transferred by operation of law.

19.2. Any purported purchase, sale, transfer, unauthorised use (including bartering), procurement or redemption of Avios Points issued or awarded to another person or any other use of Avios Points contrary to these Terms and Conditions will constitute a fundamental breach by the Member of these Terms and Conditions and the Conditions of Use relating to Purchase Avios and Transfer Avios and therefore the contract between British Airways and the Member.

19.3. Each Member acknowledges that a breach pursuant to Clause 19.2 above may also constitute an inducement to breach the contract between British Airways and the Member, intentional damage to the business of British Airways, conspiracy and criminal offences under applicable local or national law. Any breach pursuant to Clause 19.2 will constitute Fraud and/or Misconduct and will be dealt with in accordance with Clause 21.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Prospero
It is against the rules. Described by the Executive Club as a "fundamental breach" of the T&C. Proceed at your peril
19.1. Except as otherwise provided by British Airways and communicated to the Member, Avios points are not transferable (whether from person to person, account to account, statement to statement, card to card or otherwise) other than in accordance with the Conditions of Use relating to Transfer Avios and cannot be bequeathed, devised or otherwise transferred by operation of law.

19.2. Any purported purchase, sale, transfer, unauthorised use (including bartering), procurement or redemption of Avios Points issued or awarded to another person or any other use of Avios Points contrary to these Terms and Conditions will constitute a fundamental breach by the Member of these Terms and Conditions and the Conditions of Use relating to Purchase Avios and Transfer Avios and therefore the contract between British Airways and the Member.

19.3. Each Member acknowledges that a breach pursuant to Clause 19.2 above may also constitute an inducement to breach the contract between British Airways and the Member, intentional damage to the business of British Airways, conspiracy and criminal offences under applicable local or national law. Any breach pursuant to Clause 19.2 will constitute Fraud and/or Misconduct and will be dealt with in accordance with Clause 21.
I'm with our Mod :-:

There will be no way to transfer these Avios into your account. The maximum you can buy from BA has been 35k during an offer. Personally I would not pay this sort of cash for something whose ownership could not be transferred to me.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I'm with our Mod :-:

There will be no way to transfer these Avios into your account. The maximum you can buy from BA has been 35k during an offer. Personally I would not pay this sort of cash for something whose ownership could not be transferred to me.
I can see a way, if it's someone you actually know.

The Avios could be in their account at Avios.com, and you simply get their account details, perhaps change the password, and you book flights from this account for yourself/others as you wish.

Downside is you won't be able to transfer them into you BAEC (albeit the OP doesn't specifically say they want to do this, so the BA T&Cs are pretty irrelevant) and therefore no way to use the miles with a 2-4-1 voucher.

I wouldn't do the above with a stranger as you could still easily get screwed. But I might do the above with a friend if I had a good use for the Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.