Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 787 Dreamliner pre-delivery discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787 Dreamliner pre-delivery discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Woops, didn't know you were around, but it's true for someone in their fifties you don't look bad where as I like fabulous.
I'm not 50 yet you cheeky sod, next year....
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Your that young, I would have never have guessed.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:05 am

Your that young, I would have never have guessed.
I certainly didn't feel "young" after doing that £$"$$ Moscow on the short-haul 767, but that's for another thread!!!!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deep joy, their nothing like being a customer punch bag for the day, but remember we "Fly to Serve"
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:27 am

Deep joy, their nothing like being a customer punch bag for the day, but remember we "Fly to Serve"
Had another Purser, called out as main crew, who was working with me in Traveller... We played customer verbal abuse tennis... She had a few rounds of getting abused and then it was my turn, managed to keep the Main Crew out of the way of the abuse for the most part. Not nice but at least a few customers wrote lovely comments cards saying how lovely and professional we were whilst under fire from all sides.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's all you can do, stand there and listen and not react, it's great when other customers show their support.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:36 am

That's all you can do, stand there and listen and not react, it's great when other customers show their support.
I've been taught by the Master.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by phol
I've just come off back to back 777-300/A330-300 flights. There cant be too much difference in volume between the A330 at take off and the 777 at taxi. I suspect the enormous fan diameter may have something to do with it.
I've done the same, on Cathay through Hong Kong where the noise difference between two legs of the flight on the two types is very marked. Once you notice it, it really becomes apparent. The previous 777-200ER that BA and others have seems to have the identical issue so I'm not feeling it's the big fan size.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
There is training at Manston for flight and (?) cabin crew to be done too. Although, it may have been me just reading the e-mail wrongly, I would not imagine cabin crew needing to be on Manston training flights.
They've sent 2 batches of MF crew to Hamburg this week just to do their aircraft visit. I'd imagine a nice drive down the A2 for your 787 visit is just what you want .
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't think Bingy will be catching any bus to Manston.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I don't even know where Manston is...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I don't even know where Manston is...
You can get there from LHR (via AMS). KLM fly there
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:44 pm

I am flying domestically through Heathrow on the 19th July, is it possible that I would be able to see it then? I have heard various rumours that the 787 will operate the shuttle routes for a brief period, so I can only hope that my flight to GLA will be operated on this beauty
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
I've done the same, on Cathay through Hong Kong where the noise difference between two legs of the flight on the two types is very marked. Once you notice it, it really becomes apparent. The previous 777-200ER that BA and others have seems to have the identical issue so I'm not feeling it's the big fan size.
All variants of the 777 have bigger, more powerful engines than the A330, even the 200s. If its not the engines themselves I'd be very interested to know what the issue is.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:43 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by phol
All variants of the 777 have bigger, more powerful engines than the A330, even the 200s. If its not the engines themselves I'd be very interested to know what the issue is.
3-spool engines tend to be a tad quieter than 2-spool designs - for the simple reason that each shaft is better rotational speed optimised. This is particularly valid for high thrust settings, ie take-off. The RR Trent / RB211 are the only triple spool motors out there, GE and PW are 2-spool. On the RR powered A330 the fully enclosed rear cowl is claimed to also contribute to lower noise as the louder combustion exhaust gases are somehow "shrouded" by the outer bypass air flow and exit the engine as one.

The A330 (and 340) also have considerably better cabin soundproofing than the 777 does. When the original A350 was offered (pre XWB), Airbus looked at reducing the thickness of the interior to exterior cabin wall of the existing A330 to give a few more inches extra cabin width. This would have been pretty much entirely at the expense of soundproofing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.