Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another first First

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Yet another first First

I guess it is traditional to post one of these. JFK-LHR, in 1A. My background: I've flown int'l business a number of times, but int'l first only once, on a U.S. airline a few years ago.

First check-in, no waiting, pleasant CSR.

T7 "fast track" security was a joke, but it always has been. I find it particularly strange that the setup is so poor in T7, since it largely serves non-U.S. airlines, with correspondingly higher service standards on-board.

I found the Concorde Room a nice refuge from the eternal chaos of T7. The meal was fine--I had the barley soup and the duck tart (plus the champagne to start, of course), and thought them both entirely respectable. Oddly, my flight was not paged, even though the man at the desk had said it would be. Fortunately I am able to tell time all on my own, so off I went at the appropriate hour.

Warmly welcomed on board and taken to my seat. I like the design. Perhaps a bit 80s futuristic, but then I am a child of the 80s, so that works out well. Individual wardrobes are a nice touch. I took a childish pleasure in the electronic blinds, too. The washbag is, I agree, a silly design, but I like Ren products.

Sadly, behind me in 2A and 3A came along at the last minute one of those couples who constantly address each other as though they were about to quarrel, though they don't quite. It always makes me sad to hear that kind of thing--I wonder if they even hear, after some time together, how unlovingly they speak to each other. And it's generally grating on the ear, of course. Except for the marital disharmony, the cabin was very peaceful.

The seat was perfectly comfortable, and, when made up into the bed, fine for sleeping. I didn't actually sleep much, but this was not the fault of the bed. There was a lot of turbulence and the gentleman sitting behind me decided to thrash in his sleep so that he kicked my seat back several times, once quite loudly.

Service: generally quite good. Well, there were a few gaffes (she forgot to bring the menu!), but the FA's attitude was generally so cheerful and welcoming that they were easy to overlook. Being of a naturally sour disposition myself, I am always impressed by servicepeople who can maintain a genuine enthusiasm for their work over an extended period.

Food: I just had the cheese plate (and some alcohol). It was fine. The "accompanying fruit" ended up as a silver tray overflowing with grapes and apples. I assume this was because the cabin was only about half-full, so there was extra. I appreciated the extra grapes.

Landed, got off first. Transfer to T3 was grotty, setting tone for the Club Europe leg...However, we did go right past an Emirates A380, which I have never been that close to before. Impressive.

On the theory that it was still the middle of the night in NYC, I had champagne straight off in the lounge, and some nibbles. I didn't have time for waiter service.

Overall, I have to say I'm satisfied. Everything wasn't flawless, but everyone gave the impression of doing their best to take care of me. It's a pleasantly sheltered experience. Now, would I pay full fare out of my own pocket to go First? Probably not, especially on a relatively short flight like East Coast to London. Club World Upper Deck is adequate for my purposes. I'd have to be a lot richer before the marginal cost of First over CW ceased to matter. But I think I fall a little short of the intended First demographic.

(Flight round-trip, including connections, yields ~14K Avios [or it will if BA fixes the credit on the LHR-VIE leg, which is currently posted as zero TP/Avios for no apparent reason], and the upgrade was 20K Avios, so the net cost to me, as a lowly Blue, was less than ~6K Avios. Nice!)

I crossed over to Bronze on this flight, and should make Silver coming back--again, assuming BA decides to give me TP for the CE legs!

One final note, related to a recent board debate: the first woman I spoke to at T3 Galleries First did not think I should be admitted as a First passenger connecting to a T3 CE leg. Fortunately, her supervisor was nearby to correct her, so no harm done. But this is a bog-standard scenario. Even in T3 it must happen a dozen or more times a day, and in T5 constantly (well, I suppose they go to the Concorde Room there, but they could also use Galleries First). If I hadn't read this board I wouldn't have known I was entitled and I might have let myself turned away. This kind of thing just should not be happening; it makes the airline look like it's trying to weasel its way out of its obligations by neglecting training. As I said, I got in eventually, so no harm done, but it's disturbing to see such a basic lapse.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
congratulations on your First First wanderingtheearth

cs
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Sadly, behind me in 2A and 3A came along at the last minute one of those couples who constantly address each other as though they were about to quarrel, though they don't quite.
Brilliantly phrased - I know several couples who fit that description.

You have a very entertaining style and I hope you do another TR soon.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Interesting TR, thanks for sharing!

I have my first F flight coming up in about 3 week time, can't wait!!!

I personally don't see myself ever paying for F unless I suddenly become a lot wealthier, or if there's some amazing deal ex-EU or something like that! I'd much rather extend the holiday and pay for a few more nights in the hotel than waste money on a posh waiting room and better seat on the bus!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

I understand it better than I used to. When you have a very demanding job, you may not be able to extend the vacation, even if technically you have the leave, and life is already so stressful you'll pay a lot to minimize the stress of travel. For me, CW and a nice hotel generally suffice. Not to say that I didn't appreciate the extra peace of F!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:11 am

Programs: EC*G BD*G, Hilton, Eurobonus
Enjoyed reading your posting very much. Might do LHR to PHX in First next year, with miles.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:35 am
SRG

Programs: KM Flypass, Qatar, Emirates
Nice TR ^ Sad to hear about T7 Fast track, will be doing that route in a few months and not looking forward to the queues
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

I personally don't see myself ever paying for F unless I suddenly become a lot wealthier, or if there's some amazing deal ex-EU or something like that! I'd much rather extend the holiday and pay for a few more nights in the hotel than waste money on a posh waiting room and better seat on the bus!
Hi Panny!

Congratulations on your Upcoming first First!

I recently had my first First and also my first CW UD experience

First is awesome i loved it, its the little things that make one big overall difference!

Better Seat
Better Food
More Attentive Service
More Space
More Solid and Bigger Bed (Great for me as i am 6'2)

BUT

you may not like the WashBAg, and this may put you off for life and you might not want to travel FIRST ever again as obviously this is the most important part of the FIRST experience but try not to let it get to you

Enjoy Panny, FIRST is Very Good Indeed

p.s CW 64A UD was also great BUT its not FIRST
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Normally I find I can't sleep on planes - have used BA J, EK A380 J and EK F (the night after the US office New Year party aside - I even slept in Y then...) - but did my first F earlier this year in NF and wow, slept like a log.

Enjoy it!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

Hi panny, wonder how many people actually pay for F, rather than using miles or UG's?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by botham
Hi panny, wonder how many people actually pay for F, rather than using miles or UG's?
Not that many I suspect.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Padmeister
First is awesome i loved it, its the little things that make one big overall difference!

Better Seat
Better Food
More Attentive Service
More Space
More Solid and Bigger Bed (Great for me as i am 6'2)

BUT

you may not like the WashBAg, and this may put you off for life and you might not want to travel FIRST ever again as obviously this is the most important part of the FIRST experience but try not to let it get to you

Enjoy Panny, FIRST is Very Good Indeed

p.s CW 64A UD was also great BUT its not FIRST

Thanks to wanderingtheearth for a very informative mini-TR. I note the seat kicking! I'm afraid I've likely been guilty of this, simply in BA F I do seem to sleep better than in CW.
Poor washbag , so unloved .
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by mike&co
Not that many I suspect.
Agree there, but will admit we do, every year to SYD in F, need the comfort hubby 6'4 so extra length of bed makes all the difference, have done 3 returns in QF A380 F, great will miss not using QF after they marry up with EK in March, and will await and see where BA A380 goes too, otherwise it will be a combination of 747/777
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Yet another first First

People often say how they would never pay for F but fairly frequently it is not as much as one might think and is very route dependant.

You mustn't forget that F can even be cheaper than a full (J) CW fare - you just have to look for it and accept that a A class fare doesn't offer the same flexibility as C or J.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

As an NYC resident, my route on BA will almost always be JFK-LHR(-onwards). I don't spend all my time sitting around pricing up trips in various classes, of course, but I don't think that's a route where you get heavy discounting on First. And I suppose my employer might, from time to time, buy fully flexible business for me, but I can't bring myself to do so myself when I'm already spending so much on the ticket that could be going to a swankier hotel. It's a delicate balance!

Happy New Year to all. I just watched Vienna explode with fireworks from a high floor of the Sofitel. Very nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.